Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Introduction and answer Re: MAN IN BLACK

  • Laura Zamora
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 12, 2008
      "Mama Calidad" is a joke. We live in Mexico and my husband decided to open a candy store in our front room. He made a sign for the store that said, "Calidad a un buen precio", except "calidad" took up almost the whole sign and the rest was squeezed on. So the teenaged boys started giving him a hard time and calling him "Calidad". Then it got so they were calling our daughter "Nina Calidad" and when our son was born they called him "Junior Calidad". When I needed a username for online, it seemed good enough. LOL

      Thanks for the welcome!

      Laura

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 12, 2008
        Great. It is easy for people to mistake awe at 'smells and bells' for an
        underlying continuity of purpose. Orthodox services are beautiful,
        generally but not always. It is just as easy to slaughter the music of the
        Divine Liturgy and to serve Vigil poorly as it is to sing and serve in any
        'style', but there is so clearly a theology of worship that underlies
        everything - not to mention the deep theological content of so many of the
        hymns (especially during Vespers and Matins, or Vigil if they are done
        together). Plus, there is just so much of the services. At some point,
        academic theology gives way to the realization that these people really
        believe this stuff. My 'problems' with the place of the Theotokos were
        solved when I realized that the way Orthodox venerate her is by making the
        sign of her Son - she has no 'power' of her own. Similarly with the place
        of the saints; if they were 'demigods' of some kind then the Orthodox
        wouldn't speak so articulately about the Trinity in their hymns, and they
        wouldn't glorify the Trinity and Christ as often as they do (far less than
        they do any other saint - with only the Theotokos getting anywhere near).

        Christopher