Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Introduction and answer Re: MAN IN BLACK

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 12, 2008
      Welcome Laura!

      Love your handle, mamacalidad. Do you work in quality or are does it refer
      to you being a quality mom? or both? :)

      Considering your wrote:

      "...after we learned the history of paedocommunion."

      ...I have to believe you are a quality mom. For me, paedocommunion was the
      undeniable proof that the Lutherans had it wrong....because I never could
      believe that every denomination, confession, whatever you want to call
      it...had at least one thing wrong. I knew somewhere God had preserved His
      Church.

      Lots of great folks here who can help you translate from Lutheran to
      Orthodox and back again...although that wouldn't necessarily be me...just
      wanted to take the opportunity to say "hey". -----R

    • Laura Zamora
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 12, 2008
        My kids and I have been able to visit three times so far. Words fail. I don't do things based on feelings or beauty or what-have-you, but.... I've never walked out of any other church (and I've been to lots of other churches) and been so utterly certain that I'd truly been to worship.

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 12, 2008
          "Mama Calidad" is a joke. We live in Mexico and my husband decided to open a candy store in our front room. He made a sign for the store that said, "Calidad a un buen precio", except "calidad" took up almost the whole sign and the rest was squeezed on. So the teenaged boys started giving him a hard time and calling him "Calidad". Then it got so they were calling our daughter "Nina Calidad" and when our son was born they called him "Junior Calidad". When I needed a username for online, it seemed good enough. LOL

          Thanks for the welcome!

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 12, 2008
            Great. It is easy for people to mistake awe at 'smells and bells' for an
            underlying continuity of purpose. Orthodox services are beautiful,
            generally but not always. It is just as easy to slaughter the music of the
            Divine Liturgy and to serve Vigil poorly as it is to sing and serve in any
            'style', but there is so clearly a theology of worship that underlies
            everything - not to mention the deep theological content of so many of the
            hymns (especially during Vespers and Matins, or Vigil if they are done
            together). Plus, there is just so much of the services. At some point,
            academic theology gives way to the realization that these people really
            believe this stuff. My 'problems' with the place of the Theotokos were
            solved when I realized that the way Orthodox venerate her is by making the
            sign of her Son - she has no 'power' of her own. Similarly with the place
            of the saints; if they were 'demigods' of some kind then the Orthodox
            wouldn't speak so articulately about the Trinity in their hymns, and they
            wouldn't glorify the Trinity and Christ as often as they do (far less than
            they do any other saint - with only the Theotokos getting anywhere near).

            Christopher