MAN IN BLACK- Turn up your computer speakers and enjoy

  • byza7@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 19, 2008
      _Click here: Man in Black_ (http://www.webng.com/mateliza/Man%20in%20Black/)

      FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

    • Rebecca Wilson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 19, 2008
        That was great.  What parish/priest is featured?

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 19, 2008
          Not featured but at slide 1:14 - 1:12 "wearin' the green" cassock (not the
          black!) is Father Peter from St. Mary of Egypt, Norcross, GA, a suburb of
          Atlanta.-----R

          On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 10:39 PM, Rebecca Wilson <emmy88heaven@...>
          wrote:

          > That was great. What parish/priest is featured?
          >
          > --- On Sat, 7/19/08, byza7@... <byza7%40aol.com> <byza7@...<byza7%40aol.com>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > From: byza7@... <byza7%40aol.com> <byza7@... <byza7%40aol.com>>
          > Subject: [LutheransLookingEast] MAN IN BLACK- Turn up your computer
          > speakers and enjoy
          > To: LutheransLookingEast@...<LutheransLookingEast%40Yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Saturday, July 19, 2008, 6:43 PM
          >
          > _Click here: Man in Black_ (http://www.webng com/mateliza/ Man%20in%
          > 20Black/)
          >
          > ************ **Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for
          > FanHouse Fantasy Football today.
          > (http://www.fanhouse .com/fantasyaffa ir?ncid=aolspr00 050000000020)

        • James Royal Prickett, Ph.D.
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 21, 2008
            This is very good, but you know I think it would even be better with a
            picture of the pope when it gets to the line "you'll never see me wear
            a suit of white."

            ;)

            jr
          • mamacalidad
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 12, 2008
              Hi! My name is Laura. Wanted to quickly introduce myself. My family
              recently left a wonderful WELS church after we learned the history of
              paedocommunion. In the process of studying that out, the whole of
              sola scriptura fell apart for us. Believing in paedobaptism and
              paedocommunion and not believing in sola scriptura doesn't leave a
              whole lot of possible churches out there. We're currently trying to
              learn all we can about the Orthodox Church. I'm glad to have found
              this group, since I've wished more than once the someone could
              translate from Orthodox-speak into Lutheran-speak for me.

              Looking at older posts, I came across one that I have the answer to
              (and being very short on answers these days, it's an exciting thing to
              actually KNOW an answer). The Men in Black video was done by Mat.
              Elizabeth Perdomo. The priest featured is Fr. Antonio Perdomo of St.
              George's Orthodox Church in Pharr, Texas.

              Laura

              --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, Rebecca Wilson

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 12, 2008
                Have you been able to visit any Orthodox churches, yet, or is your research
                still in the book phase?

                Christopher

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 12, 2008
                  Welcome Laura!

                  Love your handle, mamacalidad. Do you work in quality or are does it refer
                  to you being a quality mom? or both? :)

                  Considering your wrote:

                  "...after we learned the history of paedocommunion."

                  ...I have to believe you are a quality mom. For me, paedocommunion was the
                  undeniable proof that the Lutherans had it wrong....because I never could
                  believe that every denomination, confession, whatever you want to call
                  it...had at least one thing wrong. I knew somewhere God had preserved His
                  Church.

                  Lots of great folks here who can help you translate from Lutheran to
                  Orthodox and back again...although that wouldn't necessarily be me...just
                  wanted to take the opportunity to say "hey". -----R

                • Laura Zamora
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 12, 2008
                    My kids and I have been able to visit three times so far. Words fail. I don't do things based on feelings or beauty or what-have-you, but.... I've never walked out of any other church (and I've been to lots of other churches) and been so utterly certain that I'd truly been to worship.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 12, 2008
                      "Mama Calidad" is a joke. We live in Mexico and my husband decided to open a candy store in our front room. He made a sign for the store that said, "Calidad a un buen precio", except "calidad" took up almost the whole sign and the rest was squeezed on. So the teenaged boys started giving him a hard time and calling him "Calidad". Then it got so they were calling our daughter "Nina Calidad" and when our son was born they called him "Junior Calidad". When I needed a username for online, it seemed good enough. LOL

                      Thanks for the welcome!

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 12, 2008
                        Great. It is easy for people to mistake awe at 'smells and bells' for an
                        underlying continuity of purpose. Orthodox services are beautiful,
                        generally but not always. It is just as easy to slaughter the music of the
                        Divine Liturgy and to serve Vigil poorly as it is to sing and serve in any
                        'style', but there is so clearly a theology of worship that underlies
                        everything - not to mention the deep theological content of so many of the
                        hymns (especially during Vespers and Matins, or Vigil if they are done
                        together). Plus, there is just so much of the services. At some point,
                        academic theology gives way to the realization that these people really
                        believe this stuff. My 'problems' with the place of the Theotokos were
                        solved when I realized that the way Orthodox venerate her is by making the
                        sign of her Son - she has no 'power' of her own. Similarly with the place
                        of the saints; if they were 'demigods' of some kind then the Orthodox
                        wouldn't speak so articulately about the Trinity in their hymns, and they
                        wouldn't glorify the Trinity and Christ as often as they do (far less than
                        they do any other saint - with only the Theotokos getting anywhere near).

                        Christopher