Re: YouTube - The Orthodox Church - A visual journey

  • adam_roe
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12, 2008
      David,

      This video would be PERFECT for the idea I mentioned in my last message!

      And don't forget the brownies. :-)

      Adam

    • byza7@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 12, 2008
        +Glory to Jesus Christ ! +His Glory be Forever !

        Adam and others, thanks for your posts on my question.

        We have placed "A visual journey" video on our church web site. Please see
        it at _www.stelizabethga.org_ (http://www.stelizabethga.org) .

        Keep us in your prayers that we have a Church built this year.

        Thanks
        David

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 12, 2008
          Another thing is beautiful, comprehensible worship. There is nothing worse
          than hearing the services chanted poorly ('strangled goat' Byzantine chant,
          sloppy, over-reaching harmonies) *and* in a language incomprehensible. If
          it is at least beautiful, then some portion of the 'feel' of the texts can
          come through, the ethos of Orthodox worship. This doesn't mean one has to
          bring in an Athonite trained protopslatai or perform multipart settings by
          Tchaikovsky and Rimsky-Korsakov, but there should be real care taken in the
          presentation of worship to the senses, i.e., aural, visual, as well as to
          the intellect.

          This way, when people visit, they may be awed as were the emissaries of
          Prince Vladimir of 'Rus. Their curiosity may be piqued to ask questions,
          study, etc. after having taken the prompting of the Apostle Andrew to his
          brother, "Come and see!" so that later they may "Taste and see that the Lord
          is good".

          I like the idea of having a DVD available to share, as well as to having it
          (or a link) posted on a parish's website.

          Christopher