From Lutheran to Episcopal to Disciples to...what next?

  • caspianrex
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
      Hi all! I was born, raised and confirmed Lutheran (baptized LCMS and
      confirmed ELCA). In my twenties I fell away from the Faith for
      several year, but rediscovered it when I attended some Roman Catholic
      masses in Chicago. I then began to attend regularly at an Episcopal
      cathedral that was very High Church, lots of "smells and bells." I
      loved it, but when I moved back to central IL, I was unable to find an
      Episcopal church that compared to the cathedral in Chicago.
      When I got married, my wife and I went to a couple Disciples of Christ
      churches, as they were roughly midway between her non-denominational
      evangelical background and my Lutheran upbringing.
      However, in the Disciples churches, even though I met many devout
      people who became dear friends, I was always bothered by the lack of
      liturgy. I was constantly seeking something more liturgical. I began
      to reconnect with my Lutheran roots, but something was still missing.
      A few years ago, I "discovered" the Orthodox Church. My initial
      reaction was, "This is amazing...this is the original Church." But,
      maybe due to the cultural differences between East and West, I backed
      away after attending a couple Divine Liturgies at a small Orthodox
      mission. Fast-forward to now...
      After several experiences that began to call loudly to me, I decided
      to give Orthodoxy another look. I've been to a handful of Divine
      Liturgies with my little daughter (20 mos. old), and have begun to
      study Orthodoxy in earnest. I am seriously considering conversion,
      and have spoken to my parish priest about the idea. A few problems:
      (1) I currently direct choir at a small Methodist church, and
      conversion would mean giving up that job;(2)my wife is, though
      supportive of me, not interested in conversion;(3) my daughter has not
      yet been baptized, and there are some differences of opinion between
      me and my wife on that issue. My parish priest has advised me to take
      things slowly, and listen for the leading of God. This is definitely
      good advice, and I am trying to learn more each day, to gain some
      perspective on God's will for my life.
      Your prayers would be appreciated...

      Cory Howell
      Nashville, TN

      "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner!"
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
        Cory, great to see that you have "discovered" Orthodoxy!

        In view of your wife's lack of interest (which I understand as my husband
        remains Lutheran) you might be interested in participating in another Yahoo
        group called OXWOMS (OrthodoX WithOut My Spouse).

        Navigating conversion without one's spouse certainly requires the counsel of
        a spiritual father. Sometimes it also helps to discuss the situation with
        others that have been through it and are living it. I originally saw myself
        as isolated...as if I were the only person in the world going through
        something like this. Knowing others had successfully traveled before me
        and learning how they acted and reacted was good information but most
        helpful was the encouragement I received.

        Hope you'll stop by.-----R

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
          My wife is not Orthodox, though she really isn't much of anything which
          probably makes it easier to convert than when a spouse is devoutly
          'something'. Jobs come and jobs go, look at the lillies of the field and
          the birds of the air... My wife was 6 months pregnant (2 months ago) when I
          was suddenly laid off, but it is turning out to be a blessed series of what
          we both know are not just 'coincidences'. Losing a job is often the shove
          one needs to follow what had been subtle suggestions of a better way -
          sometimes we need to get knocked over the head to realize what God wants us
          to do. My wife and I agreed our children would be raised Orthodox before we
          got married - I was a serious inquirer when we got married, not yet a
          catechumen. Of course, she gave the caveat that if I converted to something
          else again then they would be raised Roman Catholic (the faith of her
          youth). Not sure how to navigate that one; it sounds as if there are other
          specifics pertinent to that story. Obedience is life; follow the advice of
          your priest, pray, worship, fast, don't judge, don't make a show or a weapon
          of Orthodoxy, don't be a weirdo, love, be patient and kind and
          longsuffering, enjoy each other and remember that there is no grace in
          coerced virtue.

          Christopher

          On 7/11/08, Rosemarie Lieffring <rose.lieffring@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > study Orthodoxy in earnest. I am seriously considering conversion,
          > > and have spoken to my parish priest about the idea. A few problems:
          > > (1) I currently direct choir at a small Methodist church, and
          > > conversion would mean giving up that job;(2)my wife is, though
          > > supportive of me, not interested in conversion;(3) my daughter has not
          > > yet been baptized, and there are some differences of opinion between
          > > me and my wife on that issue. My parish priest has advised me to take
          > > things slowly, and listen for the leading of God. This is definitely
          > > good advice, and I am trying to learn more each day, to gain some
          > > perspective on God's will for my life.
          > > Your prayers would be appreciated...
          > >
          > > Cory Howell
          > > Nashville, TN
          > >
          > > "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner!"

          Christopher Orr
          917 848 7787 Mobile
          xcjorr@...

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
            Hello Cory,

            I want to let you know that this life long Orthodox Christian is amazed
            at all the efforts of those seeking the "true faith and will conintue
            to pray that your journey home will be successful.

            I have a question to ask ALL of you that have or had a non Orthodox
            background. Corys e mail saying that he discovered Orthodoxy, has
            prompted me to ask ALL of you for your input. My question is, please
            list ways you think the Orthodox Church in general can make the faith
            more visable to the non orthodox that isn't currently been done now?
            I would love to hear your responses please.

            Thank You,
            David Novak
            Kennesaw, Ga (the Holy Tradition state)

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
              Pray, fast, worship regularly (in the predominant language of the
              neighborhood, not the membership or the membership's parents/grandparents),
              have an icon at work (I have St. Xenia of Petersburg and a fasting calendar)
              and in a prominent place in the home, live and act the Beatitudes in public
              and private so as to let our lights so shine among men... Traditional
              church buildings and iconography help, too, as does traditionally dressed
              clergy.

              Christopher

              --
              Christopher Orr
              917 848 7787 Mobile

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
                Hey David,

                I can't add much more than Christopher but wanted to say "hey" since I also
                live in the holy tradition state of Georgia...Athens area.

                Since we are in a college town we have discussed the possibility of bringing
                in a patristics lecturer...thinking this might be interesting for the
                scholars in the area. Our priest is an iconographer and frequently conducts
                lectures on iconography as well as holds actual instruction in writing
                icons.

                If you are ever in the Athens area...join us at St. Philothea for
                Liturgy.-----R

              • Todd Harman
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 11, 2008
                  Cory

                  As an aside, where in Nashville are you? I just relocated from Fort Wayne, In to Nashville and was just curious - especially where you attend church.

                  I grew up Episcopalian then become Lutheran (even attended a LCMS seminary for a spell). Then I discovered Orthodoxy. My wife is not at this time interested in joining with me - though she has gone to the Divine Liturgy twice with me. My parish priest would probably beat me if I ever forced anyone in my family to an Orthodox Church!! So in that vein, don't force, directly or indirectly, your wife to attend, but leave the inviation open for her to come with you!

                  I didn't have to deal with the baptism issue as all our children were baptized Episcopalian, so I will have to "just" pray for you on that one.

                  As for David's question - I'm at a loss for what to say. On the one hand the Holy Spirit seems to be doing a fine job of letting people discover Orthodoxy on their own. On the other hand, a nice American style advertising campaign would be a good start. But perhaps the best advertising is God's love working through His Church. Especially in the present age we live in...I actually never even considered the Orthodox church until we discussed it in Seminary. And those discussions were about Lutheran pastors who had left for the Orthodox Church. That got me curious and started the ball rolling. Now I can't wait to be officially a part of the Church.

                  Not very helpful....
                  In Christ
                  Todd

                  xcjorr@gmail. com