Combox Ecumenism

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2008
      Yeah it's long winded and erveryone got a little too hot under the
      collar/riassa/head scarf by the end, but the comments to the blog post
      "Thoughts
      on Ordination Vows<http://fatherhollywood.blogspot.com/2008/06/thoughts-on-ordination-vows.html>"
      (
      http://fatherhollywood.blogspot.com/2008/06/thoughts-on-ordination-vows.html)
      by
      LCMS pastor 'Father Hollywood' are very interesting - for both sides of the
      discussion. I suggest taking a read, and then stopping when it gets to be
      just too much for you. I find Mr. Orr to be especially annoying,
      personally, but am always a fan of the thoughts shared by Anastasia
      Theodorides (the Kyrie Eleison blog and former Episcopalian) and LCMS Pastor
      Benjamin Harju. The interaction has been very interesting both for what it
      achieves and does not (cannot?) achieve.

      One thing that annoying Mr. Orr kept referring to was the book "The
      Non-Orthodox: The Orthodox Teaching on Christians Outside of the Church" by
      Patrick Barnes, editor of the Orthodox Christian Information Center website,
      which is available to read at:

      http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/non-orthodox.pdf

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
        Great thread...I found it two days ago and have enjoyed the exchange.

        One comment though...I am not a rigorist (probably because I was never WELS,
        only LCMS ;P ) and I have to say that the Barnes book, while it has it's
        good points, can be a harsh read...especially to an inquirer. In places the
        tone reminds me of some of those "I am more Orthodox than you are"
        discussions one reads around the internet. My Lutheran husband read a bit
        of it and was offended...to the point that I still get a few related
        negative jabs when if wear my Orthodoxy on my sleeve. Of course, I am
        probably more thin skinned than most. YMMV.-----R

        On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 12:48 AM, Christopher Orr <xcjorr@...> wrote:

        > Yeah it's long winded and erveryone got a little too hot under the
        > collar/riassa/head scarf by the end, but the comments to the blog post
        > "Thoughts
        > on Ordination Vows<
        > http://fatherhollywood.blogspot.com/2008/06/thoughts-on-ordination-vows.html
        > >"
        > (
        >
        > http://fatherhollywood.blogspot.com/2008/06/thoughts-on-ordination-vows.html
        > )
        > by
        > LCMS pastor 'Father Hollywood' are very interesting - for both sides of the
        > discussion. I suggest taking a read, and then stopping when it gets to be
        > just too much for you. I find Mr. Orr to be especially annoying,
        > personally, but am always a fan of the thoughts shared by Anastasia
        > Theodorides (the Kyrie Eleison blog and former Episcopalian) and LCMS
        > Pastor
        > Benjamin Harju. The interaction has been very interesting both for what it
        > achieves and does not (cannot?) achieve.
        >
        > One thing that annoying Mr. Orr kept referring to was the book "The
        > Non-Orthodox: The Orthodox Teaching on Christians Outside of the Church" by
        > Patrick Barnes, editor of the Orthodox Christian Information Center
        > website,
        > which is available to read at:
        >
        > http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/non-orthodox.pdf

      • Jeremy Finck
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
          A great thread indeed! I woke up at 2am and couldn't fall back asleep. I
          was able to finish the thread before going back to bed for a cat nap at
          around 6am, but I haven't started reading the Barnes book.

          The conversations in the the comments remind me of a more even-tempered and
          well thought out version of discussions I have had with my Dad. May the
          Lord have mercy on us.

          The discussions with the family can be the hardest and most heart wrenching,
          because they respond similarly to Fr. Beane. It's SO hard to hear them
          respond with the same questions with such deep pain in their voice. Not to
          mention the circular conversations and constant misunderstandings, that can
          only be overcome by the Holy Spirit.... But I digress....

          Thank you for the link, Christopher! It was for me an encouraging read.

          Jeremy

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
            I agree the Barnes book can be harsh sounding, but I tend to think more and
            more that a clear expression of the actual canons and understanding of the
            Church on such (and other) matters is best long-term. I have seen too many
            converts slide into Orthodoxy only to fall out when the exoticism fades
            away. Besides, the cross is an offense, as was the Virgin Birth, not to
            mention the spiritual entering the physical realm. Of course, that is
            different than being rude, unloving, etc. I also live in NYC, so I've
            picked up a tougher edge than I had in Minnesota.

            Christopher

            On 7/3/08, Rosemarie Lieffring <rose.lieffring@...> wrote:

            > Great thread...I found it two days ago and have enjoyed the exchange.
            >
            > One comment though...I am not a rigorist (probably because I was never
            > WELS,
            > only LCMS ;P ) and I have to say that the Barnes book, while it has it's
            > good points, can be a harsh read...especially to an inquirer. In places the
            > tone reminds me of some of those "I am more Orthodox than you are"
            > discussions one reads around the internet. My Lutheran husband read a bit
            > of it and was offended...to the point that I still get a few related
            > negative jabs when if wear my Orthodoxy on my sleeve. Of course, I am
            > probably more thin skinned than most. YMMV.-----R
            >
            > On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 12:48 AM, Christopher Orr <xcjorr@...<xcjorr%40gmail.com>>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > Yeah it's long winded and erveryone got a little too hot under the
            > > collar/riassa/head scarf by the end, but the comments to the blog post
            > > "Thoughts
            > > on Ordination Vows<
            > >
            > http://fatherhollywood.blogspot.com/2008/06/thoughts-on-ordination-vows.html
            > > >"
            > > (
            > >

            > http://fatherhollywood.blogspot.com/2008/06/thoughts-on-ordination-vows.html
            > > )
            > > by
            > > LCMS pastor 'Father Hollywood' are very interesting - for both sides of
            > the
            > > discussion. I suggest taking a read, and then stopping when it gets to be
            > > just too much for you. I find Mr. Orr to be especially annoying,
            > > personally, but am always a fan of the thoughts shared by Anastasia
            > > Theodorides (the Kyrie Eleison blog and former Episcopalian) and LCMS
            > > Pastor
            > > Benjamin Harju. The interaction has been very interesting both for what
            > it
            > > achieves and does not (cannot?) achieve.
            > >
            > > One thing that annoying Mr. Orr kept referring to was the book "The
            > > Non-Orthodox: The Orthodox Teaching on Christians Outside of the Church"
            > by
            > > Patrick Barnes, editor of the Orthodox Christian Information Center
            > > website,
            > > which is available to read at:
            > >
            > > http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/non-orthodox.pdf
            > > Christopher