Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Re: Wisdom?

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
      What's mandatory is what your priest tells you to do, which should be more
      than nothing and include at least some prayers and fasting for at least the
      morning prior to communing - unless there is a health concern that keeps one
      from fasting (sickness is already fasting; fasting is voluntary 'sickness'
      and suffering).

      I fast from bedtime the night before communing and say just the prayers
      before communion themselves, not the canons. That has been my rule since
      2001. When I was attending just one OCA parish (rather than splitting
      between GOA and OCA) I would also only commune if I had attended a
      preparatory service the evening before, whether Vespers or Vigil, or in the
      Greek tradition at least Orthros immediately before Liturgy.

      Christopher

      On 6/4/08, randall hay <stortford@...> wrote:

      > These rules are particularly strict....more so than any I have ever
      > used. They are good practices, but are not generally mandatory.
      >
      > In fact, after having been Orthodox ten years and visited a variety of
      > archdioceses and monastery, I have never ever seen the cross brought to
      > people who have communed after the service.
      >
      > The traditional Russian and Serbian practices, in my experience, tend to be
      > more strict than others...I belong to the Bulgarian diocese (under the
      > Bulgarian patriarch) and these things are encouraged but not mandatory,
      > except of course fasting prior to Communion. Confession must be "recent,"
      > but that's all.
      >
      > On the other hand there's nothing more heartbreaking than Orthodox who
      > disregard Eucharistic piety entirely....come in late, confess every two
      > years, talk in the Communion line, leave early, etc.
      >
      > The traditional practices of piety should certainly be encouraged, to bring
      > people's spiritual lives forward...preparation can hardly be over-valued. On
      > the other hand I think there's a reason they are not generally mandatory...
      >
      > R.

      Christopher Orr
      917 848 7787 Mobile
      xcjorr@...