Re: Wisdom?

  • James Royal Prickett, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
      Since Yahoo will not allow attachments , here is a link to all of
      this communion preparation information:

      http://www.pomog.org/communion.shtml

      Having initially discovered this online, and subsequently purchasing
      the Jordanville Prayer Book, it has brought me to a most blessed
      appreciation for and experience of communicating. For me this has
      been a lifelong progression from my early participation in the old
      Lutheran general confession, to a brief review of a few prayers right
      before receiving, to some more serious thought about the gravity of
      receiving Christ that necessitates much prayer, fasting, confession
      and diligent preparation. Makes sense - we have an opportunity to
      receive the King!

      It was obvious that these Russian rules are a lot more strict than
      what is practiced in the Greek Church to which I belong. But I did
      find out from some of the older Greeks that they, to used to follow
      the stricter ways years ago. Fortunately, there seems to be a slow
      but discernible movement back toward the fuller practices, all of
      which ostensibly bestow innumerable blessings on the participant.

      JiMi

      --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, randall hay
      <stortford@...> wrote:

      > ----By the way, I'll attach a copy of the canons for Communion. The
      ones to Christ, the Theotokos and Guardian Angel are interwoven
      (there is a particular way to do three canons together), followed by
      the canon for Holy Communion and then more pre-Communion
      prayers....these are the most recent version from the Jordanville
      Prayer Book (except a few of the ones toward the end are a different
      translation)---
      > R.

      the heresy. I tried to find the words to The Canon to Our Sweetest
      Jesus on Myriobiblos. I found an Akathist to our Sweetest Lord Jesus
      Christ and also a Canon to our Lord Jesus Christ - are either of
      these the one to which you refer? Forgive me, I'm not very familiar
      with your liturgy.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
        These rules are particularly strict....more so than any I have ever used. They are good practices, but are not generally mandatory.

        In fact, after having been Orthodox ten years and visited a variety of archdioceses and monastery, I have never ever seen the cross brought to people who have communed after the service.

        The traditional Russian and Serbian practices, in my experience, tend to be more strict than others...I belong to the Bulgarian diocese (under the Bulgarian patriarch) and these things are encouraged but not mandatory, except of course fasting prior to Communion. Confession must be "recent," but that's all.

        On the other hand there's nothing more heartbreaking than Orthodox who disregard Eucharistic piety entirely....come in late, confess every two years, talk in the Communion line, leave early, etc.

        The traditional practices of piety should certainly be encouraged, to bring people's spiritual lives forward...preparation can hardly be over-valued. On the other hand I think there's a reason they are not generally mandatory...

        R.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
          What's mandatory is what your priest tells you to do, which should be more
          than nothing and include at least some prayers and fasting for at least the
          morning prior to communing - unless there is a health concern that keeps one
          from fasting (sickness is already fasting; fasting is voluntary 'sickness'
          and suffering).

          I fast from bedtime the night before communing and say just the prayers
          before communion themselves, not the canons. That has been my rule since
          2001. When I was attending just one OCA parish (rather than splitting
          between GOA and OCA) I would also only commune if I had attended a
          preparatory service the evening before, whether Vespers or Vigil, or in the
          Greek tradition at least Orthros immediately before Liturgy.

          Christopher

          On 6/4/08, randall hay <stortford@...> wrote:

          > These rules are particularly strict....more so than any I have ever
          > used. They are good practices, but are not generally mandatory.
          >
          > In fact, after having been Orthodox ten years and visited a variety of
          > archdioceses and monastery, I have never ever seen the cross brought to
          > people who have communed after the service.
          >
          > The traditional Russian and Serbian practices, in my experience, tend to be
          > more strict than others...I belong to the Bulgarian diocese (under the
          > Bulgarian patriarch) and these things are encouraged but not mandatory,
          > except of course fasting prior to Communion. Confession must be "recent,"
          > but that's all.
          >
          > On the other hand there's nothing more heartbreaking than Orthodox who
          > disregard Eucharistic piety entirely....come in late, confess every two
          > years, talk in the Communion line, leave early, etc.
          >
          > The traditional practices of piety should certainly be encouraged, to bring
          > people's spiritual lives forward...preparation can hardly be over-valued. On
          > the other hand I think there's a reason they are not generally mandatory...
          >
          > R.

          Christopher Orr
          917 848 7787 Mobile
          xcjorr@...