Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Favorite Saints

  • rleehistory
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 12, 2007
      > > Anybody else want to share stories about their
      > favorite Saints, either
      > > living or asleep in our Lord?

      Nicholas II, the last tsar, whom I chose as my patron
      when I was chrismated
      Elizabeth, his sister-in-law
      Maria Skobtsova, an emigre ex-revolutionary, turned
      unconventional and compromising monastic and victim of
      the Nazis
      Nikolai Velimirovic, the author of the Prologue from
      Ochrid,
      John Chrysostom
      John of Shanghai and San Francisco
      Seraphim Rose

      I have a special affection for saints who lived in the
      during the last century but refused to compromise with
      the modern world.

      Ron Lee

      > > Who has influenced you the most to get you to
      > where you are
      > > today...especially looking East?
      > >
      > > Your Sister in Christ,
      > > Laura

      > removed]

    • Reader Christopher
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 13, 2007
        I would also add St. Theophan the Recluse because a section in his
        "The Spiritual Life and How to be Attuned to It" helped me understand
        how to, in a practical way, fight temptation and 'thoughts' that are
        insinuate by the devil, brought up by our flesh, etc.

        The gist is that anger is meant for one thing: to fight sin. When one
        sees a thought approach or once it has been suggested - when it is
        still not sin but simply temptation - focus all your anger on it and
        say a quick prayer since we can do nothing without prayer and God's
        assistance. I was delivered from a particularly difficult physical
        sin with this technique and am eternally (literally) grateful to St.
        Theophan for his assistance.

        I also have bits and pieces that I have remembered from various saints
        writings and lives that I have found helpful, e.g., Sts Herman of
        Alaska, Innocent and Tikhon of Moscow, John of Shanghai and San
        Francisco, Seraphim of Sarov, Nilus of Sora, Symeon the New
        Theologian, the Desert Fathers, Anthony the Great, Athanasius the
        Great, the Cappadocians, John Chrysostom, John Damascene, John
        Cassian, Augustine, Isaac of Syria, the Optina Elders (especially Sts
        Ambrose, Macarius and Barsanuphius), and Dorotheus, John and
        Barsanuphius of Gaza, etc.

        Christopher

        --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Orr"
        <xcjorr@...> wrote:

        > Favorite saints, in no particular order:
        >
        > - St. Elizabeth the New Martyr (convert from Lutheranism; she was
        also
        > the granddaughter of Queen Victoria and since my father is from
        England...)
        > - St. George the Great Martyr (patron saint of England and one of my
        > only regular contacts with a post-Apostolic saint growing up as a
        Lutheran;
        > plus, again, St. George is the patron saint of England. I had a gold
        > sovereign coin on a necklace from my parents that had St. George
        on one side
        > and Queen Victoria on the other...)
        > - St. Silouan the Athonite (probably as much because of Fr. Sophrony
        > Sakharav and his writing about St. Silouan.)
        > - Fr. Seraphim Rose (an American convert, not yet canonized)
        >
        > Christopher
      • william terrell
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 13, 2007
          My favorite saint is St. Barney of Fife. He was a very wise man and celibate though not a monk. His icon is at http://november-in-my-soul.blogspot.com/2007/02/blog-post.html.

          <xcjorr@...> wrote:

          > Favorite saints, in no particular order:
          >
          > - St. Elizabeth the New Martyr (convert from Lutheranism; she was
          also
          > the granddaughter of Queen Victoria and since my father is from
          England...)
          > - St. George the Great Martyr (patron saint of England and one of my
          > only regular contacts with a post-Apostolic saint growing up as a
          Lutheran;
          > plus, again, St. George is the patron saint of England. I had a gold
          > sovereign coin on a necklace from my parents that had St. George
          on one side
          > and Queen Victoria on the other...)
          > - St. Silouan the Athonite (probably as much because of Fr. Sophrony
          > Sakharav and his writing about St. Silouan.)
          > - Fr. Seraphim Rose (an American convert, not yet canonized)
          >
          > Christopher

          Lt. William Terrell
          Public Information Officer
          Camden County Sheriff's Office
          912-510-5100

        • william terrell
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 13, 2007
            I was just teasin about St. Barney.

            william terrell <terrellccso@...> wrote: My favorite saint is St. Barney of Fife. He was a very wise man and celibate though not a monk. His icon is at http://november-in-my-soul.blogspot.com/2007/02/blog-post.html.

            <xcjorr@...> wrote:

            > Favorite saints, in no particular order:
            >
            > - St. Elizabeth the New Martyr (convert from Lutheranism; she was
            also
            > the granddaughter of Queen Victoria and since my father is from
            England...)
            > - St. George the Great Martyr (patron saint of England and one of my
            > only regular contacts with a post-Apostolic saint growing up as a
            Lutheran;
            > plus, again, St. George is the patron saint of England. I had a gold
            > sovereign coin on a necklace from my parents that had St. George
            on one side
            > and Queen Victoria on the other...)
            > - St. Silouan the Athonite (probably as much because of Fr. Sophrony
            > Sakharav and his writing about St. Silouan.)
            > - Fr. Seraphim Rose (an American convert, not yet canonized)
            >
            > Christopher

            Lt. William Terrell
            Public Information Officer
            Camden County Sheriff's Office
            912-510-5100

            Lt. William Terrell
            Public Information Officer
            Camden County Sheriff's Office
            912-510-5100

          • Brian Fink
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 14, 2007
              Too bad St. Barney (whew... for a second I read that, I was thinking of the purple demon dinosaur) couldnt be more of an influence on Opie to NOT direct the Da Vinci Code. Ah well, all saints have their down stories too.

              btw, we Orthodox come up with a lot of goofy saints for Internet purposes. Just read http://www.theoniondome.com/ sometime...

              Lord knows Im counting on God's sense of humor along with his mercy...

              Cincy the Sick

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 14, 2007
                I actually thought that there might have been a Barney (Barnabas, Bernard,
                Barnaby) hailing from the old Kingdom of Fife in Scotland. There were a
                couple saints I found with connections to Fife:

                * Kennocha (Kyle, Enoch) March 25 *
                > + 1007. A nun at a convent in Fife. She was held in great veneration in
                > Scotland, especially around Glasgow.
                >
                > * Servan (Serf, Sair) July 1 *
                > ? The Apostle of West Fife in Scotland who reposed and was buried in
                > Culross.
                >
                > * Glastian Jan 28 *
                > + 830. The patron saint of Kinglassie in Fife in Scotland. He made peace
                > between the Picts and the Scots.

                You wouldn't believe some of the weird old Anglo-Saxon saint names from
                before the Schism. To see a list go to:

                http://www.orthodoxengland.org.uk/saintsint.htm

                There are also a lot of odd saint names from "Orthodox countries" especially
                the names of saints from countries that have not had a lot of exposure in
                the West such as Persia and Georgia - especially the latter. (BTW, friends
                from church here in NYC translated "The Lives of the Georgian
                Saints"<http://www.sainthermanpress.com/catalog/chapter_five/Lives_of_the_georgian_saints.htm>sharing
                lives on saints from the early, middle and recent ages of the
                country of Georgia. They were an early country that converted to the faith,
                suffered much under both Persian Zoroastrians [my neighbor across the hall
                is a Zoroastrian! only in NYC] and the Muslims, they founded the Iveron
                monastery in Mt. Athos and had quite a presence in the Holy Land - plus they
                have a weird looking alphabet and a language not related to any of its
                neighbors like with Finnish and Basque. We have a lot of Georgians at the
                Cathedral here in NYC and it has been fascinating [and difficult at times]
                learning about this very different, devout Christian culture).

                My favorite Orthodox name is Barsanuphius or Barsanuf, which my non-Orthodox
                wife insists on pronouncing as "Barf".

                Christopher