Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Re: Orthodoxy - the communal tool box

  • Travis (Constantine) Stolz
    Message 1 of 11 , May 14 6:45 AM
      Good morning, Dave.

      Christ is risen!

      Perhaps it isn't the case that people cannot comprehend your differentiation, but rather that they find it unnecessary. And only a decade to develop an Orthodox mindset? Good heavens! Why the rush?

      Yours in Christ,
      Travis (Constantine)

      _______________________
      Travis (Constantine) Stolz
      travis.stolz@...

      Message 2 of 11 , May 14 6:54 AM
        Christ is risen!

        The determination of what one truly "needs" is not self-chosen, however. There are far too many "I"s in what you have written. The toughest lesson I have had to learn since becoming Orthodox--even tougher than obedience, frankly--is that of humility. It's not up to me to determine what I need or what I don't need. Christ nowhere says, "Pick and choose from the toolbox. A hammer is a spade is a level is a screwdriver--all is one and one is all."

        If one believes that one doesn't need the intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos, that says more about the individual rather than anything else. If the only reason one is singing or praying to the Theotokos is out of "duty" or because of the words on a page, then I think (drat--there's that dreaded "I" again!) one has missed the point of the Liturgy.

        Yours in Christ,
        Travis (Constantine)

        _______________________
        Travis (Constantine) Stolz
        travis.stolz@...

        Message 3 of 11 , May 15 4:56 AM
          Indeed He is risen, Constantine!
          Greetings, everyone!

          I just would like to add to this:

          > If one believes that one doesn't need the intercession of the Most
          Holy
          > Theotokos, that says more about the individual rather than anything
          else.

          It's true, but it's not a mistake. Being/becoming a Christian is a
          process of our whole life. It just takes time for everything - to
          realize one's own weakness, to realize thus the need for the saints'
          help, and then to start loving them. Takes different time for
          everyone. If someone doesn't feel he needs Theotokos' help - it
          simply means he's not reached that point yet. But there's nothing
          dangerous or wrong with being at that point of the path, as long as
          the person stays on the path and keeps moving to Christ at any speed,
          at least the slightest one.

          I guess, it's my opinion. :)
          Asking for your prayers,
          Alexander