Re: Christ is Risen!

  • James Royal Prickett, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 15 , May 9, 2008
      Very true! But if you look over the things we squabble about, they
      are not the essentials of the faith. Give me battles over calendars
      and the length of beards rather than battles over the Mother of God's
      ever-virginity and the use of disposable communion glasses (two
      matters that I am pretty sure Luther would side with the Orthodox on)
      any day.

      JiMi

      --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "wrvinovskis"
      <WRVinovskis@...> wrote:

      > Dear Sister,
      >
      > As an LCMS pastor, I very much appreciate your family's frustration
      > with the controversy and fighting in the LCMS. I, too, from
      > time-to-time have been tempted to throw in the towel. I pray God's
      > blessing on you in your journey. I trust you will find a safe haven
      in
      > the Orthodox church. Having said that, in my brief interactions
      with
      > Orthodox Christians of various stripes it has become fairly obvious
      > me that there is no lack of conflict and fighting among the
      Orthodox,
      > also. While there may be many good reasons to become Orthodox, I'm
      > not sure peace and harmony is at the top of the list.
      >
      > God's Peace,
      >
      > Pr. Waldemar Vinovskis
      >
      > "We feebly struggle, they in glory shine!"
      >

      > > > My husband was a pastor for nearly 10 years in the LCMS. After
      9 years
      > > > of controversy and fighting in the LCMS and about a year of
      intense
      > > > study and prayer, we met with Bishop JOSEPH and our local
      Orthodox

      Message 2 of 15 , May 9, 2008
        Exactly. I think another important point is the intent of the Orthodox on
        all sides to work through these squabbles because of the understanding of
        Church. Father Stephen Freeman once wrote:

        *The Orthodox Church has perhaps the weakest ecclesiology of all, because it
        depends, moment by moment, on the love and forgiveness of each by all and of
        all by each. Either the Bishops of the Church love and forgive each other or
        the whole thing falls apart. "Brethren, let us love one another, that with
        one mind we may confess: Father, Son and Holy Spirit." These are the words
        that introduce the Creed each Sunday, and they are the words that are the
        bedrock of our ecclesiology...*

        The recent healing of the rift with ROCOR is but one case in point.

        I have to say that the peace Laura speaks of is quite real, as I am certain
        the converts here can all attest to, despite the squabbles...which says
        something about both the squabbles and the peace. -----R

        On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 8:39 AM, James Royal Prickett, Ph.D. <
        jimi@...> wrote:

        > Very true! But if you look over the things we squabble about, they
        > are not the essentials of the faith. Give me battles over calendars
        > and the length of beards rather than battles over the Mother of God's
        > ever-virginity and the use of disposable communion glasses (two
        > matters that I am pretty sure Luther would side with the Orthodox on)
        > any day.
        >
        > JiMi

        > "wrvinovskis"
        > <WRVinovskis@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Dear Sister,
        > >
        > > As an LCMS pastor, I very much appreciate your family's frustration
        > > with the controversy and fighting in the LCMS. I, too, from
        > > time-to-time have been tempted to throw in the towel. I pray God's
        > > blessing on you in your journey. I trust you will find a safe haven
        > in
        > > the Orthodox church. Having said that, in my brief interactions
        > with
        > > Orthodox Christians of various stripes it has become fairly obvious
        > > me that there is no lack of conflict and fighting among the
        > Orthodox,
        > > also. While there may be many good reasons to become Orthodox, I'm
        > > not sure peace and harmony is at the top of the list.
        > >
        > > God's Peace,
        > >
        > > Pr. Waldemar Vinovskis
        > >
        > > "We feebly struggle, they in glory shine!"

        > 9 years
        > intense
        > Orthodox
        > our
        > ever

      • Anastasia Theodoridis
        Message 3 of 15 , May 9, 2008
          As often happens, Frederica says it best for me. Check out her essay on controversies in the Orthodox Church at http://www.frederica.com/writings/orthodox-controversies.html and see how different it is!

          Anastasia
          e-mail: anastasiatheo01@...
          blog: http://anastasias-corner.blogspot.com

          Message 4 of 15 , May 9, 2008
            Yes, there is fuss and trouble everywhere. That is evidence of our need for Christ.

            But, there is great peace and harmony in my heart, my conscience, my soul, since becoming Orthodox. How joyous the intercession: "...and grant us Thy great mercy."

            When a devout family came to me in tears as I left my congregation, my words were like those of the bishop: "Please understand that I too must seek my salvation." I still pray for them. May the Lord behold their piety with His accustomed love and mercy.

            [formerly Pastor] B Peter Brandt-Sorheim

            ML wrote:
            Bishop JOSEPH listened patiently and compassionately to our situation, concerns and fears. Then he said to us, " Have you ever thought about your salvation?"

            Recent Activity

            2
            New Members

            Visit Your Group
            Yahoo! News
            Kevin Sites
            Get coverage of
            world crises.

            Yahoo! Groups
            w/ John McEnroe
            Join the All-Bran
            Day 10 Club.

            Yahoo! Groups
            Stay healthy
            and discover other
            people who can help.

            .

          • Rebecca Wilson
            Message 5 of 15 , May 9, 2008
              Here are truly words of wisdom. This is a quote from Fr. Ted Bobosh's reflectons on the difficulties that are facing the OCA:

              St. Maria Skobtsova, being part of an émigré church (rather than a missionary church), did have some insight into the awesomeness of the task facing Orthodoxy in Western Europe in the 1940’s. Orthodoxy had been displaced to Western Europe by the rise of atheist communism in Russia, and found itself living in the darkness of atheist Fascism which was blitzkrieging across Europe. Mother Maria recognized that Orthodoxy separated from its motherland-favored status is given a freedom to be the Body of Christ and not merely a state-church. She saw clearly that freedom places great demands on the membership who can no longer rely on the cultural/state support to maintain the church or its status in society. These struggles also are rife with temptations to avoid the difficulties by trying to live in some golden age past or by trying to recreate and maintain the culture from which one is exiled instead of trying to live the faith in the soil in which one is newly planted.
              She wrote:
              “Freedom obliges, freedom calls for sacrificial self-giving, freedom determines one’s honesty and strictness with oneself and one’s path. And if we want to be strict and honest, worthy of the freedom given to us, we must first of all test our own attitude toward our spiritual world. We have no right to wax tenderhearted over all our past indiscriminately – much of that past is far loftier and purer than we are, but much of it is sinful and criminal. We should aspire to the lofty and combat the sinful. We cannot stylize everything as some sweet ringing of Moscow bells – religion dies of stylization. We cannot cultivate dead customs – only authentic spiritual fire has weight in religious life. We cannot freeze a living soul with rules and orders – once, in their own time, they were the expression of other living souls, but new souls demand a corresponding expression. We cannot see the Church as a sort of aesthetic perfection and limit ourselves to aesthetic swooning
              – our God given freedom calls us to activity and struggle. And it would be a great lie to tell searching souls: ‘Go to church, because there you will find peace.’ The opposite is true. She tells those who are at peace and asleep: ‘Go to church, because there you will feel real alarm about your sins, about your perdition, about the world’s sins and perdition. There you will feel an unappeasable hunger for Christ’s truth. There instead of lukewarm you will become ardent, instead of pacified you will become alarmed, instead of learning the wisdom of this world you will become foolish for Christ. It is to this foolishness, this folly in Christ, that our freedom calls us … And we will become fools for Christ, because we know not only the difficulty of this path but also the immense happiness of feeling God’s hand upon what we do.” (p. 114-115. MOTHER MARIA SKOBTSOVA: ESSENTIAL WRITINGS)

              St. Maria was truly an Orthodox visionary. I highly recommend her writings and covet her prayers.

              Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!

              Rebecca

              ML wrote:
              Bishop JOSEPH listened patiently and compassionately to our situation, concerns and fears. Then he said to us, " Have you ever thought about your salvation?"

              Recent Activity

              2
              New Members

              Visit Your Group
              Yahoo! News
              Kevin Sites
              Get coverage of
              world crises.

              Yahoo! Groups
              w/ John McEnroe
              Join the All-Bran
              Day 10 Club.

              Yahoo! Groups
              Stay healthy
              and discover other
              people who can help.

              .

            • tharman32
              Message 6 of 15 , May 9, 2008
                I wanted to ask...for me Orthodoxy seems to be more unified in its
                teaching. By that I mean there doesn't seem to be this versus that
                (body vs. soul, faith vs works, Scripture vs. Tradition, etc).
                Orthodoxy seems to teach that this is the Way, and it involves
                several aspects or componets.

                Is this accurate? Or am I off base?
                Thanks

                --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, BPeter Brandt-Sorheim

                Message 7 of 15 , May 9, 2008
                  Christ is risen!
                  You are accurate. Orthodoxy is quite united in theological understanding and teaching. I cannot say that in twenty plus years I have encountered more than one significant divergence...though that one has great import.
                  There are certainly differences of pastoral application in various situations. I attribute this to the healthy Orthodoxy understanding that we are not in a game to keep rules and therefore seeking how to justify exceptions or variations. We are about the task of bringing human persons into the salvation in Christ. You will observe that even our Savior made occasional unexpected responses as reported by the sacred Evangelists but in all cases, His goal was salvific. Such must always be our approach.
                  For example, in Orthodox perspective no sacraments / mysteries are for sure valid outside of Orthodoxy. This does not mean than God cannot work through such actions as He is sovereign. And, this does not stop the Orthodox from utilizing the sacral actions of the non Orthodox when it can serve the purpose of salvation.
                  A very conservative Greek Old Calendarist presbyter of my acquaintance baptized a young convert from Roman Catholicism. The bishop had instructed that in order to affirm the above mentioned principle baptism should be the normal mode of reception into Orthodoxy even in the case of converts who previously practiced some form of Christianity. But, the same person's elderly mother was at the same time received only by chrismation as she genuinely wished to become Orthodox but could not well grasp the principle nor physically endure a baptism by triple immersion.
                  Other bishops make different decisions about how Roman Catholics and Protestant Christians normally are to be received. The goal is salvation in Christ. This is the touchstone that determines the application in a spectrum from strictness to mercy.
                  My wife is from a Soviet Russian family displaced by WW2. As no Orthodox Church was known in their new Brazilian home, my wife was baptized in a Roman Catholic Church. When her sister was born three years later, the family had located an Orthodox Church. Her sister was baptized and chrismated.
                  My wife was chrismated at age three at the same time as her sister was baptized. To this day she recalls the sacred fragrance of the chrism with great joy and celebrates the day of the transferal of the relics of St Nicholas to Bari as her second feast day after that of her patroness saint. We still pray with thanks to God for the [now reposed] spiritual elder / presbyter Serafim who anointed her.
                  I hope this is helpful. Paschal joy to you! Peter

                  <donpedrogordo@...> wrote:

                  > Yes, there is fuss and trouble everywhere. That is evidence of
                  our need for Christ.

                  > But, there is great peace and harmony in my heart, my
                  conscience, my soul, since becoming Orthodox. How joyous the
                  intercession: "...and grant us Thy great mercy."

                  > When a devout family came to me in tears as I left my
                  congregation, my words were like those of the bishop: "Please
                  understand that I too must seek my salvation." I still pray for
                  them. May the Lord behold their piety with His accustomed love and
                  mercy.

                  > [formerly Pastor] B Peter Brandt-Sorheim
                  >
                  > wrvinovskis <WRVinovskis@...> wrote:
                  > There is no lack of conflict and fighting among the
                  Orthodox,
                  > also. While there may be many good reasons to become Orthodox, I'm
                  > not sure peace and harmony is at the top of the list.
                  >
                  > ML wrote:
                  > Bishop JOSEPH listened patiently and compassionately to our
                  situation, concerns and fears. Then he said to us, " Have you ever
                  thought about your salvation?"

                  > Recent Activity
                  >
                  > 2
                  > New Members
                  >
                  > Visit Your Group
                  > Yahoo! News
                  > Kevin Sites
                  > Get coverage of
                  > world crises.
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups
                  > w/ John McEnroe
                  > Join the All-Bran
                  > Day 10 Club.
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups
                  > Stay healthy
                  > and discover other
                  > people who can help.
                  >

                  > .

                • laurafrizelle
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 9, 2008
                    Dear Pastor Vinovskis,

                    You are right. In that very same conversation with my bishop and
                    priest, they reminded me that the Orthodox Church is not perfect and
                    has it's divisions.

                    Locally in another jurisdiction there has been a lot of controversy
                    and even in our own parish's history, there has been fighting, but the
                    big difference I see is that there is a time tested, apostolic even,
                    process for reconcilliation and self correction.

                    On the parish level: confession and being reconciled to your brother
                    before you commune is practiced where I am at and the people have a
                    deeper relationship with their priests and respect for the office.

                    On the whole church level, a council of bishops. Much different from
                    voter's meetings and jockeying between "liberals" and "confessionals".

                    Episcopal government and the clear view of ordination as a sacrament,
                    so far from my view, seem to really help with resolving confict. Also
                    doctrinal issues like the what the LCMS is facing are pretty much
                    unheard of in my neck of the woods. There might be disagreements even
                    about money or fasting or whatever, but these are minor and do not
                    border on breaking with apostolic teaching. Time ends up healing
                    these conflicts, whereas in churches with more democratic forms of
                    church government it seems like the churches change with the times in
                    a more worldly direction.

                    For what it is worth.

                    In my parish and in my diocese people are fighting for unity between
                    jusrisdictions. People fight against their selfish desires to be in
                    communion with each other. Humility is a virtue that is admired and I
                    have friends who are not afraid to speak the truth in love to me when
                    I am wrong. I have never experienced anything like this before.

                    "Let the righteous strike me, it shall be a kindness and let him
                    reprove me, it shall be as excellent oil."--- from the Divine Liturgy
                    of St. John Chrysostom.

                    Another thing is this. Because doctrinally the Orthodox Church is
                    steadfast, one can really stand firm and fight for what is right.
                    Before being Orthodox I felt like I was on a hill of sand.

                    Peace,
                    Laura

                    P.S. I just woke up and am drinking my first cup of coffee. It's
                    probably too early for me to try to communicate about such things. ;-)

                    --- In utheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "wrvinovskis"

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 9, 2008
                      THarmann,
                      Yes you have picked up on a great point. Everything is connected.
                      The Church is the Body of Christ. We are created in the image and
                      likeness of the Holy Trinity which is completely, perfectly united in
                      love. The Church and her doctrine and spirit reflect this unity.

                      One thing I have noticed personally is that my heart, my head and my
                      soul need to be healed back together. Because of experiences in my
                      life and my sin, they have become separated so I would not feel pain
                      or guilt. Growing in unity with God and repentance will bring my self
                      back together. It hurts sometimes, but it is a healing pain. Like
                      alcohol poured on a wound.

                      Laura

                      are --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "tharman32"