Re: Howdy! from a new kid on the block.

  • tharman32
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2008
      My story is not yet complete (by complete I mean officially being
      made part of the Orthodox Church). I started out in the Reformed
      Church and we soon moved to the Episcopal Church (my step father was
      Catholic and this was the church we could all go to). I grew up in
      the Episcopal Church. I had a brief stint in the Assemblies of God
      church (so I have the whole born again, re-baptized, baptism of the
      Holy Spirit experience). Then after my marriage (in the Catholic
      Church) my wife and I moved to the Episcopal Church. By now I could
      see the theological issues in the Church I loved, and we moved (it
      was very painful) to the LCMS.

      My interest in Orthodoxy was actually sparked by the Ft Wayne
      Seminary where I attended for over a year. In one of my classes we
      were "discussing" Fr. Fentons letter stating he was leaving the LCMS
      (my apologies Fr Fenton, for this "disscussion"). I began to read
      anything I could get my hands on re: the Orthodox Church. I attended
      my first service in August of 2007, and have been going every week.
      Since September I have received instruction from Fr Anthony and
      hopefully soon I will be Chrysimated (though I have learned
      that "soon" is not an Orthodox word!!)

      For any Lutherans or others (no offence intended on using generic
      terms) my advice is if you do attend a Divine Liturgy, go more than
      once before prayerfully deciding if it is for you. It is very
      different in form from Western Churches (Fr Fenton's Church being
      one of the exceptions) and for me it took a couple of times to get
      used to the "weirdness".

      --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, BPeter Brandt-Sorheim
      <donpedrogordo@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I was at Seminex, returned to LC-MS, became a pastor
      [briefly] in LC-MS and have been Orthodox some 20+ years...without
      regret. I still treasure much from my Lutheran background but the
      fathers and saints of the Church are somehow more intensely my own
      family than before. Welcome. BPeter Brandt-Sorheim