Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Howdy! from a new kid on the block.

    Message 1 of 9 , May 7, 2008
      Hi,
      I was at Seminex, returned to LC-MS, became a pastor [briefly] in LC-MS and have been Orthodox some 20+ years...without regret. I still treasure much from my Lutheran background but the fathers and saints of the Church are somehow more intensely my own family than before. Welcome. BPeter Brandt-Sorheim

      Dave ©¿©¬ <dnaess@...> wrote:
      Howdy!

      I just found this group today.

      I was born into the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.
      I was attending Concordia Bronxville during Seminex.
      In addition to the church schism, I survived 2 congregational
      schisms (well survived one and joined a new congregation when
      I saw the second one developing.)

      I had a spiritual experience which did not fit into the box
      of Lutheran mindset and was a seeker for more than 10 years.

      After receiving 6 months of instruction, I was just Chrismated
      a few weeks ago into the Greek Orthodox Church.

    • tharman32
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2008
        My story is not yet complete (by complete I mean officially being
        made part of the Orthodox Church). I started out in the Reformed
        Church and we soon moved to the Episcopal Church (my step father was
        Catholic and this was the church we could all go to). I grew up in
        the Episcopal Church. I had a brief stint in the Assemblies of God
        church (so I have the whole born again, re-baptized, baptism of the
        Holy Spirit experience). Then after my marriage (in the Catholic
        Church) my wife and I moved to the Episcopal Church. By now I could
        see the theological issues in the Church I loved, and we moved (it
        was very painful) to the LCMS.

        My interest in Orthodoxy was actually sparked by the Ft Wayne
        Seminary where I attended for over a year. In one of my classes we
        were "discussing" Fr. Fentons letter stating he was leaving the LCMS
        (my apologies Fr Fenton, for this "disscussion"). I began to read
        anything I could get my hands on re: the Orthodox Church. I attended
        my first service in August of 2007, and have been going every week.
        Since September I have received instruction from Fr Anthony and
        hopefully soon I will be Chrysimated (though I have learned
        that "soon" is not an Orthodox word!!)

        For any Lutherans or others (no offence intended on using generic
        terms) my advice is if you do attend a Divine Liturgy, go more than
        once before prayerfully deciding if it is for you. It is very
        different in form from Western Churches (Fr Fenton's Church being
        one of the exceptions) and for me it took a couple of times to get
        used to the "weirdness".

        --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, BPeter Brandt-Sorheim