Christ is Risen!

  • laurafrizelle
    Message 1 of 15 , May 7 4:14 PM
      Hello everyone,

      I was a member of this group for a short while last year before my
      husband and I left the LCMS and became catechumens officially last
      June. We and our 3 boys Ian 6, James 4 and Solomon 2 were chrismated
      by Bishop JOSEPH at St. John Orthodox Cathedral in Eagle River this
      last Christmas.

      My husband was a pastor for nearly 10 years in the LCMS. After 9 years
      of controversy and fighting in the LCMS and about a year of intense
      study and prayer, we met with Bishop JOSEPH and our local Orthodox
      priest. Bishop JOSEPH listened patiently and compassionately to our
      situation, concerns and fears. Then he said to us, " Have you ever
      thought about your salvation?"

      That might sound like a crazy question to most Lutherans, but let it
      sink in a while. Is bitterness and lack of joy because of church
      politics causing you to hate your brothers and sisters in the Lutheran
      Church? Is it distracting you from worship and true Communion with
      God and your neighbor? Are you addicted to church politics and so
      sure that you are right and superior that it causes you to judge
      people like a pharisee, so much that you lack horizontal communion
      with others in your church? Examine yourself. Where can you get rest
      and healing from all that crap? Has God abandoned His Church? Where
      does God protected unity exist?

      I hope my tone does not sound harsh. I do not mean these words in a
      hurtful way at all. All of those questions were true for me for too
      long, and I am just wanting to speak the truth in love, like Bishop
      JOSEPH did with us. (What a blessing a spiritual father and bishops
      are in comparison to the political, corporate figures we had for
      church leaders in the LCMS!)

      Our LCMS congregation was on the verge of voting on whether to
      practice open communion or not, and our district president and other
      pastors in the circuit were not in the least bit concerned. This was
      one of the final straws upon many, many.

      Our lives have changed so much since last year, and at every turn we
      are reaffirmed in the peace and joy of finding the pearl of Orthodox
      Christianity. I have never known such unity, love and depth of
      communion. We are home, healing and so thankful to God for all things.
      Even those years of stress and pain mixed with blessing in the LCMS.
      God truly works all things out for good for those who love Him, even
      feebly as we do.

      Last week I was listening to recordings of the Colloquium for
      Lutherans interested in Orthodoxy. The presentations were so good. I
      pray that the Holy Spirit will use those talks to help many battle
      weary Lutherans and protestants out there to open their hearts and let
      down their defenses enough to seek the Kingdom of God beyond the
      political trenches that we too were suffering in for too long. If any
      of you are interested in the recordings, I am sure Mr. Orr could hook
      you up.

      Also for any of you out there who (like us initially) think Orthodox
      are soft on sin, check out Father Thomas Hopko's new lecture CD on
      sin. It is very, very good and helpful.

      I want to encourage any of you lurkers out there to open your hearts .
      Feel free to email me.

      God Bless You Always!
      Laura Frizelle
      Message 2 of 15 , May 7 4:54 PM
        Dear Laura,

        Thanks for introducing your self and telling your story. I can only
        imagine how difficult it was for your husband to leave his means of
        support. But I am so happy to hear of your joy!

        Laura...are you in Eagle River, Alaska? If so, did you get a chance to hear
        Matthew Gallatin speak in January there? He gave this outstanding talk on
        the will of God. I encourage anyone who hasn't listened to it yet to check
        it out. http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/pilgrims/P8/

        And I agree...the colloquium speakers were outstanding as well. Bach going
        to Liepzig for more frequent Communion...I will never forget that story.
        http://ancientfaith.com/specials/lutheran_colloquium

        BTW...I am a Lutheran convert...Orthodox for only 2 years now and attend the
        Greek Church in Athens, Georgia (on Mars Hill Road, no less!). No two year
        itch yet! I am so grateful to have been led to Holy Orthodoxy.-----R

      • RANDY ASBURRY
        Message 3 of 15 , May 8 3:16 AM
          Thank you very much for your words of wisdom, and thank God for thecomfort and peace that He has given you! While I still remain in theLCMS for the time being, I will confirm your words about the politics and thebattle-weariness. It does weigh on the soul. Bishop JOSEPH's questionis right on target: "What about your salvation?" Thanks for remindingus of that.

          Also, please tell your husband - Thomas, right? -hello for me. I believe our paths crossed a time or two, at least onemail lists if not in person.

          God bless!
          + + + + +
          Rev. Randy Asburry
          Hope Lutheran Church
          St. Louis, MO
          r.asburry@...

[...]

          <!--

          #ygrp-mkp{
          #ygrp-mkp hr{
          border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
          #ygrp-mkp #hd{
          #ygrp-mkp #ads{
          margin-bottom:10px;}
          #ygrp-mkp .ad{
          padding:0 0;}
          #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
          color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
          -->

          <!--

          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
          font-family:Arial;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
          margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
          -->

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family:Georgia;
          }
          #ygrp-text p{
          margin:0 0 1em 0;}
          #ygrp-tpmsgs{
          font-family:Arial;
          clear:both;}
          #ygrp-vitnav{
          #ygrp-vitnav a{
          padding:0 1px;}
          #ygrp-actbar{
          #ygrp-actbar .left{
          float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
          .bld{font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-grft{
          #ygrp-ft{
          padding:5px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
          padding-bottom:10px;}

          #ygrp-reco {
          margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
          #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
          font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}

          #reco-grpname{
          font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
          #reco-category{
          font-size:77%;}
          #reco-desc{
          font-size:77%;}

          #ygrp-vital{
          #ygrp-vital #vithd{
          #ygrp-vital ul{
          padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
          #ygrp-vital ul li{
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
          #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-vital a{
          text-decoration:none;}

          #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}

          #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          color:#999;font-size:77%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          padding:8px 0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          text-decoration:none;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
          margin:0;}
          o{font-size:0;}
          .MsoNormal{
          margin:0 0 0 0;}
          #ygrp-text tt{
          font-size:120%;}
          blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
          .replbq{margin:4;}
          -->

        • laurafrizelle
          Message 4 of 15 , May 8 9:04 AM
            Hello Randy,

            I'll tell my husband you said hello!

            I am glad you have peace now. It was amazing for us too, how once we
            were close to making our decision how our peace while still in the
            LCMS began to increase. Of course it was very hard to make the final
            separation from the people in the congregation my husband served, but
            we knew with full conviction that that was what we had to do. Bishop
            JOSEPH also said to us during that first conversation that once we
            made our decision to do it quickly as possible and to have no fear.
            That is exactly what we tried to do.

            We will pray for you and yours, Randy.

            Tom asked for a peaceful release from his call. We did not want to
            tear up that little church anymore than it was. I wish that we could
            have brought more with us for their sakes, so that they could know the
            fullness and beauty of Orthodoxy. In time we pray that people will
            come, a few have, but most will have to come on their own. We run
            into people from our old church all the time at the grocery store. We
            tell them that we are poor, but very happy and invite them to come and
            see.

            I am convinced that most people just aren't ready yet and that God
            understands completely where they are coming from and He is patient
            and steadfast to all of us Lutheran, Orthodox, Baptist, whatever.
            Forgive the cliche...you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot
            make him drink.

            All we can ultimately do is try to listen carefully to our Good
            Shepherd and personally follow His lead.

            God Bless You Always,
            Laura

            --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, RANDY ASBURRY
            <r.asburry@...> wrote:

            > Thank you very much for your words of wisdom, and thank God for
            thecomfort and peace that He has given you! While I still remain in
            theLCMS for the time being, I will confirm your words about the
            politics and thebattle-weariness. It does weigh on the soul. Bishop
            JOSEPH's questionis right on target: "What about your salvation?"
            Thanks for remindingus of that.

            > Also, please tell your husband - Thomas, right? -hello for me. I
            believe our paths crossed a time or two, at least onemail lists if not
            in person.

            > God bless!
            > + + + + +
            > Rev. Randy Asburry
            > Hope Lutheran Church
            > St. Louis, MO
            > r.asburry@...

            0px;}
            > #ygrp-mkp #ads{
> [...]
          • Anastasia Theodoridis
            Message 5 of 15 , May 8 9:12 AM
              "We tell them that we are poor, but very
              happy and invite them to come and
              see."

              One of the things that desperately needs doing is for Orthodox businessmen
              and women to get organized so as to be able to offer decent jobs to people
              like your husband, Laura. We ought to have a nationwide network of people
              who have access to such positions.

              Yes, it's breathtakingly courageous when families leave behind their means
              of support to follow Christ into Orthodoxy. And indeed, this is the sort of
              faith Christ exhorts us to have when He says if anyone loves father or
              mother, etc., better than Me, he is not worthy of Me.

              STILL! It would be great if we could help make such decisions easier by
              having some sort of a job placement service...

              Anastasia
              e-mail: anastasiatheo01@...
              blog: http://anastasias-corner.blogspot.com
            • wrvinovskis
              Message 6 of 15 , May 9 4:53 AM
                Dear Sister,

                As an LCMS pastor, I very much appreciate your family's frustration
                with the controversy and fighting in the LCMS. I, too, from
                time-to-time have been tempted to throw in the towel. I pray God's
                blessing on you in your journey. I trust you will find a safe haven in
                the Orthodox church. Having said that, in my brief interactions with
                Orthodox Christians of various stripes it has become fairly obvious to
                me that there is no lack of conflict and fighting among the Orthodox,
                also. While there may be many good reasons to become Orthodox, I'm
                not sure peace and harmony is at the top of the list.

                God's Peace,

                Pr. Waldemar Vinovskis

                "We feebly struggle, they in glory shine!"

                > > My husband was a pastor for nearly 10 years in the LCMS. After 9 years
                > > of controversy and fighting in the LCMS and about a year of intense
                > > study and prayer, we met with Bishop JOSEPH and our local Orthodox
                > > priest. Bishop JOSEPH listened patiently and compassionately to our
                > > situation, concerns and fears. Then he said to us, " Have you ever
                > > thought about your salvation?"

              • James Royal Prickett, Ph.D.
                Message 7 of 15 , May 9 5:39 AM
                  Very true! But if you look over the things we squabble about, they
                  are not the essentials of the faith. Give me battles over calendars
                  and the length of beards rather than battles over the Mother of God's
                  ever-virginity and the use of disposable communion glasses (two
                  matters that I am pretty sure Luther would side with the Orthodox on)
                  any day.

                  JiMi

                  --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "wrvinovskis"

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 9 5:56 AM
                    Exactly. I think another important point is the intent of the Orthodox on
                    all sides to work through these squabbles because of the understanding of
                    Church. Father Stephen Freeman once wrote:

                    *The Orthodox Church has perhaps the weakest ecclesiology of all, because it
                    depends, moment by moment, on the love and forgiveness of each by all and of
                    all by each. Either the Bishops of the Church love and forgive each other or
                    the whole thing falls apart. "Brethren, let us love one another, that with
                    one mind we may confess: Father, Son and Holy Spirit." These are the words
                    that introduce the Creed each Sunday, and they are the words that are the
                    bedrock of our ecclesiology...*

                    The recent healing of the rift with ROCOR is but one case in point.

                    I have to say that the peace Laura speaks of is quite real, as I am certain
                    the converts here can all attest to, despite the squabbles...which says
                    something about both the squabbles and the peace. -----R

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 9 6:18 AM
                      As often happens, Frederica says it best for me. Check out her essay on controversies in the Orthodox Church at http://www.frederica.com/writings/orthodox-controversies.html and see how different it is!

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 9 6:32 AM
                        Yes, there is fuss and trouble everywhere. That is evidence of our need for Christ.

                        But, there is great peace and harmony in my heart, my conscience, my soul, since becoming Orthodox. How joyous the intercession: "...and grant us Thy great mercy."

                        When a devout family came to me in tears as I left my congregation, my words were like those of the bishop: "Please understand that I too must seek my salvation." I still pray for them. May the Lord behold their piety with His accustomed love and mercy.

                        [formerly Pastor] B Peter Brandt-Sorheim

                        ML wrote:
                        Bishop JOSEPH listened patiently and compassionately to our situation, concerns and fears. Then he said to us, " Have you ever thought about your salvation?"

                        Recent Activity

                        2
                        New Members

                        Visit Your Group
                        Yahoo! News
                        Kevin Sites
                        Get coverage of
                        world crises.

                        Yahoo! Groups
                        w/ John McEnroe
                        Join the All-Bran
                        Day 10 Club.

                        Yahoo! Groups
                        Stay healthy
                        and discover other
                        people who can help.

                        .

                      • Rebecca Wilson
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 9 6:39 AM
                          Here are truly words of wisdom. This is a quote from Fr. Ted Bobosh's reflectons on the difficulties that are facing the OCA:

                          St. Maria Skobtsova, being part of an émigré church (rather than a missionary church), did have some insight into the awesomeness of the task facing Orthodoxy in Western Europe in the 1940’s. Orthodoxy had been displaced to Western Europe by the rise of atheist communism in Russia, and found itself living in the darkness of atheist Fascism which was blitzkrieging across Europe. Mother Maria recognized that Orthodoxy separated from its motherland-favored status is given a freedom to be the Body of Christ and not merely a state-church. She saw clearly that freedom places great demands on the membership who can no longer rely on the cultural/state support to maintain the church or its status in society. These struggles also are rife with temptations to avoid the difficulties by trying to live in some golden age past or by trying to recreate and maintain the culture from which one is exiled instead of trying to live the faith in the soil in which one is newly planted.
                          She wrote:
                          “Freedom obliges, freedom calls for sacrificial self-giving, freedom determines one’s honesty and strictness with oneself and one’s path. And if we want to be strict and honest, worthy of the freedom given to us, we must first of all test our own attitude toward our spiritual world. We have no right to wax tenderhearted over all our past indiscriminately – much of that past is far loftier and purer than we are, but much of it is sinful and criminal. We should aspire to the lofty and combat the sinful. We cannot stylize everything as some sweet ringing of Moscow bells – religion dies of stylization. We cannot cultivate dead customs – only authentic spiritual fire has weight in religious life. We cannot freeze a living soul with rules and orders – once, in their own time, they were the expression of other living souls, but new souls demand a corresponding expression. We cannot see the Church as a sort of aesthetic perfection and limit ourselves to aesthetic swooning
                          – our God given freedom calls us to activity and struggle. And it would be a great lie to tell searching souls: ‘Go to church, because there you will find peace.’ The opposite is true. She tells those who are at peace and asleep: ‘Go to church, because there you will feel real alarm about your sins, about your perdition, about the world’s sins and perdition. There you will feel an unappeasable hunger for Christ’s truth. There instead of lukewarm you will become ardent, instead of pacified you will become alarmed, instead of learning the wisdom of this world you will become foolish for Christ. It is to this foolishness, this folly in Christ, that our freedom calls us … And we will become fools for Christ, because we know not only the difficulty of this path but also the immense happiness of feeling God’s hand upon what we do.” (p. 114-115. MOTHER MARIA SKOBTSOVA: ESSENTIAL WRITINGS)

                          St. Maria was truly an Orthodox visionary. I highly recommend her writings and covet her prayers.

                          Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!

                          Rebecca

                          ML wrote:
                          Bishop JOSEPH listened patiently and compassionately to our situation, concerns and fears. Then he said to us, " Have you ever thought about your salvation?"

                          Recent Activity

                          2
                          New Members

                          Visit Your Group
                          Yahoo! News
                          Kevin Sites
                          Get coverage of
                          world crises.

                          Yahoo! Groups
                          w/ John McEnroe
                          Join the All-Bran
                          Day 10 Club.

                          Yahoo! Groups
                          Stay healthy
                          and discover other
                          people who can help.

                          .

                        • tharman32
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 9 7:38 AM
                            I wanted to ask...for me Orthodoxy seems to be more unified in its
                            teaching. By that I mean there doesn't seem to be this versus that
                            (body vs. soul, faith vs works, Scripture vs. Tradition, etc).
                            Orthodoxy seems to teach that this is the Way, and it involves
                            several aspects or componets.

                            Is this accurate? Or am I off base?
                            Thanks

                            --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, BPeter Brandt-Sorheim

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 9 8:42 AM
                              Christ is risen!
                              You are accurate. Orthodoxy is quite united in theological understanding and teaching. I cannot say that in twenty plus years I have encountered more than one significant divergence...though that one has great import.
                              There are certainly differences of pastoral application in various situations. I attribute this to the healthy Orthodoxy understanding that we are not in a game to keep rules and therefore seeking how to justify exceptions or variations. We are about the task of bringing human persons into the salvation in Christ. You will observe that even our Savior made occasional unexpected responses as reported by the sacred Evangelists but in all cases, His goal was salvific. Such must always be our approach.
                              For example, in Orthodox perspective no sacraments / mysteries are for sure valid outside of Orthodoxy. This does not mean than God cannot work through such actions as He is sovereign. And, this does not stop the Orthodox from utilizing the sacral actions of the non Orthodox when it can serve the purpose of salvation.
                              A very conservative Greek Old Calendarist presbyter of my acquaintance baptized a young convert from Roman Catholicism. The bishop had instructed that in order to affirm the above mentioned principle baptism should be the normal mode of reception into Orthodoxy even in the case of converts who previously practiced some form of Christianity. But, the same person's elderly mother was at the same time received only by chrismation as she genuinely wished to become Orthodox but could not well grasp the principle nor physically endure a baptism by triple immersion.
                              Other bishops make different decisions about how Roman Catholics and Protestant Christians normally are to be received. The goal is salvation in Christ. This is the touchstone that determines the application in a spectrum from strictness to mercy.
                              My wife is from a Soviet Russian family displaced by WW2. As no Orthodox Church was known in their new Brazilian home, my wife was baptized in a Roman Catholic Church. When her sister was born three years later, the family had located an Orthodox Church. Her sister was baptized and chrismated.
                              My wife was chrismated at age three at the same time as her sister was baptized. To this day she recalls the sacred fragrance of the chrism with great joy and celebrates the day of the transferal of the relics of St Nicholas to Bari as her second feast day after that of her patroness saint. We still pray with thanks to God for the [now reposed] spiritual elder / presbyter Serafim who anointed her.
                              I hope this is helpful. Paschal joy to you! Peter

                              <donpedrogordo@...> wrote:

                              > Yes, there is fuss and trouble everywhere. That is evidence of
                              our need for Christ.

                              > But, there is great peace and harmony in my heart, my
                              conscience, my soul, since becoming Orthodox. How joyous the
                              intercession: "...and grant us Thy great mercy."

                              > When a devout family came to me in tears as I left my
                              congregation, my words were like those of the bishop: "Please
                              understand that I too must seek my salvation." I still pray for
                              them. May the Lord behold their piety with His accustomed love and
                              mercy.

                              > [formerly Pastor] B Peter Brandt-Sorheim
                              >
                              > wrvinovskis <WRVinovskis@...> wrote:
                              > There is no lack of conflict and fighting among the
                              Orthodox,
                              > also. While there may be many good reasons to become Orthodox, I'm
                              > not sure peace and harmony is at the top of the list.
                              >
                              > ML wrote:
                              > Bishop JOSEPH listened patiently and compassionately to our
                              situation, concerns and fears. Then he said to us, " Have you ever
                              thought about your salvation?"

                              > Recent Activity
                              >
                              > 2
                              > New Members
                              >
                              > Visit Your Group
                              > Yahoo! News
                              > Kevin Sites
                              > Get coverage of
                              > world crises.
                              >
                              > Yahoo! Groups
                              > w/ John McEnroe
                              > Join the All-Bran
                              > Day 10 Club.
                              >
                              > Yahoo! Groups
                              > Stay healthy
                              > and discover other
                              > people who can help.
                              >

                              > .

                            • laurafrizelle
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 9 9:00 AM
                                Dear Pastor Vinovskis,

                                You are right. In that very same conversation with my bishop and
                                priest, they reminded me that the Orthodox Church is not perfect and
                                has it's divisions.

                                Locally in another jurisdiction there has been a lot of controversy
                                and even in our own parish's history, there has been fighting, but the
                                big difference I see is that there is a time tested, apostolic even,
                                process for reconcilliation and self correction.

                                On the parish level: confession and being reconciled to your brother
                                before you commune is practiced where I am at and the people have a
                                deeper relationship with their priests and respect for the office.

                                On the whole church level, a council of bishops. Much different from
                                voter's meetings and jockeying between "liberals" and "confessionals".

                                Episcopal government and the clear view of ordination as a sacrament,
                                so far from my view, seem to really help with resolving confict. Also
                                doctrinal issues like the what the LCMS is facing are pretty much
                                unheard of in my neck of the woods. There might be disagreements even
                                about money or fasting or whatever, but these are minor and do not
                                border on breaking with apostolic teaching. Time ends up healing
                                these conflicts, whereas in churches with more democratic forms of
                                church government it seems like the churches change with the times in
                                a more worldly direction.

                                For what it is worth.

                                In my parish and in my diocese people are fighting for unity between
                                jusrisdictions. People fight against their selfish desires to be in
                                communion with each other. Humility is a virtue that is admired and I
                                have friends who are not afraid to speak the truth in love to me when
                                I am wrong. I have never experienced anything like this before.

                                "Let the righteous strike me, it shall be a kindness and let him
                                reprove me, it shall be as excellent oil."--- from the Divine Liturgy
                                of St. John Chrysostom.

                                Another thing is this. Because doctrinally the Orthodox Church is
                                steadfast, one can really stand firm and fight for what is right.
                                Before being Orthodox I felt like I was on a hill of sand.

                                Peace,
                                Laura

                                P.S. I just woke up and am drinking my first cup of coffee. It's
                                probably too early for me to try to communicate about such things. ;-)

                                --- In utheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "wrvinovskis"

                                Message 15 of 15 , May 9 9:13 AM
                                  THarmann,
                                  Yes you have picked up on a great point. Everything is connected.
                                  The Church is the Body of Christ. We are created in the image and
                                  likeness of the Holy Trinity which is completely, perfectly united in
                                  love. The Church and her doctrine and spirit reflect this unity.

                                  One thing I have noticed personally is that my heart, my head and my
                                  soul need to be healed back together. Because of experiences in my
                                  life and my sin, they have become separated so I would not feel pain
                                  or guilt. Growing in unity with God and repentance will bring my self
                                  back together. It hurts sometimes, but it is a healing pain. Like
                                  alcohol poured on a wound.

                                  Laura

                                  are --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "tharman32"