Favorite Saints

  • Laura
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 10, 2007
      Anybody else want to share stories about their favorite Saints, either
      living or asleep in our Lord?

      Who has influenced you the most to get you to where you are
      today...especially looking East?

      Your Sister in Christ,
      Laura
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 11, 2007
        Hi Laura!

        This is my first post to the group. I am a former LCMS Lutheran who was
        chrismated and received by the Holy Orthodox Church on Lazarus Saturday
        (April 15) last year.

        Favorite Saint--fallen asleep in the Lord? Hmmm....that is a tough one.
        For me it would be the Theotokos (I know...she is everyone's favorite
        saint!) and St. Philothea, the patron saint of Athens, Greece, and of our
        parish (Athens, Georgia, US). Then there is St. Andrew, the First Called,
        and St. Nicholas (the saints after which our two boys were named) and St.
        Monica (who prayed for her son's, Blessed Augustine's, conversion. As the
        mother of two men in their young adult years--her story gives me hope.) And
        I am always humbled by the stories of St. Mary of Egypt and of St.
        Anthony...well and all the other saints for that matter!

        Favorite Saint--living? There is a priest at St. John Wonderworker in
        Atlanta, Father Jacob. My priest says he is a Saint. He has done some
        amazing things in his little parish in a poor section of the
        city--he manages a food bank, runs and Orthodox day school, offers other
        ministries to the poor in the area including a Christmas store (where the
        poor can shop for Christmas gifts for free). I have met him a few times and
        there is a look of pure joy on his face. The Light is unmistakable.

        As far as influence goes--there were a number of people and
        circumstances that influenced me in my decision to leave the Lutheran church
        and ultimately travel East. First was Jaroslav Pelikan. He was clearly one
        of the finest Church historians of our age. He left Lutheranism for
        Orthodoxy. What did he know that I didn't...that I couldn't?

        But probably one of the strongest influences in my decision was a
        collaborative effort that resulted in a paper and supporting appendices
        written by three Lutheran pastors, two of whom are now Orthodox priests and
        participate on this list, Frs. Gregory Hogg and John Fenton. While this
        paper did not point me to Orthodoxy directly, it did help pry my fingers
        from the grip I held on a Lutheranism that I wanted but never really was.

        Other, surely inadvertent, influences that caused me to search outside of
        Lutheranism included my own studies while pursuing a Lay Ministry
        certification in the LCMS, my Lutheran pastor and a few events in my local
        Lutheran community.

        How I came to Orthodoxy include some of these same influences and others.
        In retrospect, once I started praying Orthodox morning and evening prayers
        it was only a matter of time.

        I hope this is some of what you were looking for in terms of response.-----R

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 12, 2007
          Favorite saints, in no particular order:

          - St. Elizabeth the New Martyr (convert from Lutheranism; she was also
          the granddaughter of Queen Victoria and since my father is from England...)
          - St. George the Great Martyr (patron saint of England and one of my
          only regular contacts with a post-Apostolic saint growing up as a Lutheran;
          plus, again, St. George is the patron saint of England. I had a gold
          sovereign coin on a necklace from my parents that had St. George on one side
          and Queen Victoria on the other...)
          - St. Silouan the Athonite (probably as much because of Fr. Sophrony
          Sakharav and his writing about St. Silouan.)
          - Fr. Seraphim Rose (an American convert, not yet canonized)

          Christopher

          On 3/10/07, Laura <lfrizelle@...> wrote:

          > Anybody else want to share stories about their favorite Saints, either
          > living or asleep in our Lord?
          >
          > Who has influenced you the most to get you to where you are
          > today...especially looking East?
          >
          > Your Sister in Christ,
          > Laura

        • rleehistory
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 12, 2007
            > > Anybody else want to share stories about their
            > favorite Saints, either
            > > living or asleep in our Lord?

            Nicholas II, the last tsar, whom I chose as my patron
            when I was chrismated
            Elizabeth, his sister-in-law
            Maria Skobtsova, an emigre ex-revolutionary, turned
            unconventional and compromising monastic and victim of
            the Nazis
            Nikolai Velimirovic, the author of the Prologue from
            Ochrid,
            John Chrysostom
            John of Shanghai and San Francisco
            Seraphim Rose

            I have a special affection for saints who lived in the
            during the last century but refused to compromise with
            the modern world.

            Ron Lee

            > > Who has influenced you the most to get you to
            > where you are
            > > today...especially looking East?
            > >
            > > Your Sister in Christ,
            > > Laura

            > removed]

          • Reader Christopher
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 13, 2007
              I would also add St. Theophan the Recluse because a section in his
              "The Spiritual Life and How to be Attuned to It" helped me understand
              how to, in a practical way, fight temptation and 'thoughts' that are
              insinuate by the devil, brought up by our flesh, etc.

              The gist is that anger is meant for one thing: to fight sin. When one
              sees a thought approach or once it has been suggested - when it is
              still not sin but simply temptation - focus all your anger on it and
              say a quick prayer since we can do nothing without prayer and God's
              assistance. I was delivered from a particularly difficult physical
              sin with this technique and am eternally (literally) grateful to St.
              Theophan for his assistance.

              I also have bits and pieces that I have remembered from various saints
              writings and lives that I have found helpful, e.g., Sts Herman of
              Alaska, Innocent and Tikhon of Moscow, John of Shanghai and San
              Francisco, Seraphim of Sarov, Nilus of Sora, Symeon the New
              Theologian, the Desert Fathers, Anthony the Great, Athanasius the
              Great, the Cappadocians, John Chrysostom, John Damascene, John
              Cassian, Augustine, Isaac of Syria, the Optina Elders (especially Sts
              Ambrose, Macarius and Barsanuphius), and Dorotheus, John and
              Barsanuphius of Gaza, etc.

              Christopher

              --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Orr"
              <xcjorr@...> wrote:

              > Favorite saints, in no particular order:
              >
              > - St. Elizabeth the New Martyr (convert from Lutheranism; she was
              also
              > the granddaughter of Queen Victoria and since my father is from
              England...)
              > - St. George the Great Martyr (patron saint of England and one of my
              > only regular contacts with a post-Apostolic saint growing up as a
              Lutheran;
              > plus, again, St. George is the patron saint of England. I had a gold
              > sovereign coin on a necklace from my parents that had St. George
              on one side
              > and Queen Victoria on the other...)
              > - St. Silouan the Athonite (probably as much because of Fr. Sophrony
              > Sakharav and his writing about St. Silouan.)
              > - Fr. Seraphim Rose (an American convert, not yet canonized)
              >
              > Christopher
            • william terrell
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 13, 2007
                My favorite saint is St. Barney of Fife. He was a very wise man and celibate though not a monk. His icon is at http://november-in-my-soul.blogspot.com/2007/02/blog-post.html.

                <xcjorr@...> wrote:

                > Favorite saints, in no particular order:
                >
                > - St. Elizabeth the New Martyr (convert from Lutheranism; she was
                also
                > the granddaughter of Queen Victoria and since my father is from
                England...)
                > - St. George the Great Martyr (patron saint of England and one of my
                > only regular contacts with a post-Apostolic saint growing up as a
                Lutheran;
                > plus, again, St. George is the patron saint of England. I had a gold
                > sovereign coin on a necklace from my parents that had St. George
                on one side
                > and Queen Victoria on the other...)
                > - St. Silouan the Athonite (probably as much because of Fr. Sophrony
                > Sakharav and his writing about St. Silouan.)
                > - Fr. Seraphim Rose (an American convert, not yet canonized)
                >
                > Christopher

                Lt. William Terrell
                Public Information Officer
                Camden County Sheriff's Office
                912-510-5100

              • william terrell
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 13, 2007
                  I was just teasin about St. Barney.

                  william terrell <terrellccso@...> wrote: My favorite saint is St. Barney of Fife. He was a very wise man and celibate though not a monk. His icon is at http://november-in-my-soul.blogspot.com/2007/02/blog-post.html.

                  <xcjorr@...> wrote:

                  > Favorite saints, in no particular order:
                  >
                  > - St. Elizabeth the New Martyr (convert from Lutheranism; she was
                  also
                  > the granddaughter of Queen Victoria and since my father is from
                  England...)
                  > - St. George the Great Martyr (patron saint of England and one of my
                  > only regular contacts with a post-Apostolic saint growing up as a
                  Lutheran;
                  > plus, again, St. George is the patron saint of England. I had a gold
                  > sovereign coin on a necklace from my parents that had St. George
                  on one side
                  > and Queen Victoria on the other...)
                  > - St. Silouan the Athonite (probably as much because of Fr. Sophrony
                  > Sakharav and his writing about St. Silouan.)
                  > - Fr. Seraphim Rose (an American convert, not yet canonized)
                  >
                  > Christopher

                  Lt. William Terrell
                  Public Information Officer
                  Camden County Sheriff's Office
                  912-510-5100

                  Lt. William Terrell
                  Public Information Officer
                  Camden County Sheriff's Office
                  912-510-5100

                • Brian Fink
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 14, 2007
                    Too bad St. Barney (whew... for a second I read that, I was thinking of the purple demon dinosaur) couldnt be more of an influence on Opie to NOT direct the Da Vinci Code. Ah well, all saints have their down stories too.

                    btw, we Orthodox come up with a lot of goofy saints for Internet purposes. Just read http://www.theoniondome.com/ sometime...

                    Lord knows Im counting on God's sense of humor along with his mercy...

                    Cincy the Sick

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 14, 2007
                      I actually thought that there might have been a Barney (Barnabas, Bernard,
                      Barnaby) hailing from the old Kingdom of Fife in Scotland. There were a
                      couple saints I found with connections to Fife:

                      * Kennocha (Kyle, Enoch) March 25 *
                      > + 1007. A nun at a convent in Fife. She was held in great veneration in
                      > Scotland, especially around Glasgow.
                      >
                      > * Servan (Serf, Sair) July 1 *
                      > ? The Apostle of West Fife in Scotland who reposed and was buried in
                      > Culross.
                      >
                      > * Glastian Jan 28 *
                      > + 830. The patron saint of Kinglassie in Fife in Scotland. He made peace
                      > between the Picts and the Scots.

                      You wouldn't believe some of the weird old Anglo-Saxon saint names from
                      before the Schism. To see a list go to:

                      http://www.orthodoxengland.org.uk/saintsint.htm

                      There are also a lot of odd saint names from "Orthodox countries" especially
                      the names of saints from countries that have not had a lot of exposure in
                      the West such as Persia and Georgia - especially the latter. (BTW, friends
                      from church here in NYC translated "The Lives of the Georgian
                      Saints"<http://www.sainthermanpress.com/catalog/chapter_five/Lives_of_the_georgian_saints.htm>sharing
                      lives on saints from the early, middle and recent ages of the
                      country of Georgia. They were an early country that converted to the faith,
                      suffered much under both Persian Zoroastrians [my neighbor across the hall
                      is a Zoroastrian! only in NYC] and the Muslims, they founded the Iveron
                      monastery in Mt. Athos and had quite a presence in the Holy Land - plus they
                      have a weird looking alphabet and a language not related to any of its
                      neighbors like with Finnish and Basque. We have a lot of Georgians at the
                      Cathedral here in NYC and it has been fascinating [and difficult at times]
                      learning about this very different, devout Christian culture).

                      My favorite Orthodox name is Barsanuphius or Barsanuf, which my non-Orthodox
                      wife insists on pronouncing as "Barf".

                      Christopher