Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Re: Howdy! from a new kid on the block.

    Message 1 of 9 , May 7, 2008
      Well, wait a minute 'emmy88heaven'. I want to hear your story. Converting
      to Orthodoxy 30 years ago was something quite different than it is today.
      If you feel comfortable doing so, I would love to hear your story.

      The same goes for everyone else on the list. Perhaps a post-paschal way to
      get the list going is for us to share a brief bit of our stories. Some of
      them may resonate with Lutheran lurkers looking to see how one could ever
      actually make the jump, and perhaps to give some guidance about problems
      that might arise along that way.

      Christopher

        Message 3 of 9 , May 8, 2008
          My story is not yet complete (by complete I mean officially being
          made part of the Orthodox Church). I started out in the Reformed
          Church and we soon moved to the Episcopal Church (my step father was
          Catholic and this was the church we could all go to). I grew up in
          the Episcopal Church. I had a brief stint in the Assemblies of God
          church (so I have the whole born again, re-baptized, baptism of the
          Holy Spirit experience). Then after my marriage (in the Catholic
          Church) my wife and I moved to the Episcopal Church. By now I could
          see the theological issues in the Church I loved, and we moved (it
          was very painful) to the LCMS.

          My interest in Orthodoxy was actually sparked by the Ft Wayne
          Seminary where I attended for over a year. In one of my classes we
          were "discussing" Fr. Fentons letter stating he was leaving the LCMS
          (my apologies Fr Fenton, for this "disscussion"). I began to read
          anything I could get my hands on re: the Orthodox Church. I attended
          my first service in August of 2007, and have been going every week.
          Since September I have received instruction from Fr Anthony and
          hopefully soon I will be Chrysimated (though I have learned
          that "soon" is not an Orthodox word!!)

          For any Lutherans or others (no offence intended on using generic
          terms) my advice is if you do attend a Divine Liturgy, go more than
          once before prayerfully deciding if it is for you. It is very
          different in form from Western Churches (Fr Fenton's Church being
          one of the exceptions) and for me it took a couple of times to get
          used to the "weirdness".

          --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, BPeter Brandt-Sorheim