Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Howdy! from a new kid on the block.

  • Fr John Fenton
    Message 1 of 9 , May 7, 2008
      Dave,

      Christus resurrexit!

      Welcome to our little group. When you're comfortable, I'd appreciate hearing more bits of your story. Mine is located at my blog (conversiaddominum.blogspot.com).

      Many years!

      Fr John W Fenton, Priest
      Holy Incarnation Orthodox Church
      A Western Rite Parish in the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

      frfenton@...
      www.holyincarnation.org

      Message 2 of 9 , May 7, 2008
        Hi Dave! Thanks for introducing yourself. I look forward to hearing more about your journey to Orthodoxy also.
        Love in Christ,
        phos (a Lutheran in the group)

        To: LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 9 , May 7, 2008
          Resurrexit vere!

          --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, Fr John Fenton
          <frfenton@...> wrote:

          > Dave,
          >
          > Christus resurrexit!
          >
          > Welcome to our little group. When you're comfortable, I'd
          appreciate hearing more bits of your story. Mine is located at my
          blog (conversiaddominum.blogspot.com).

          > Many years!
          >

          > Fr John W Fenton, Priest
          > Holy Incarnation Orthodox Church
          > A Western Rite Parish in the Antiochian Orthodox Christian
          Archdiocese of North America

          > frfenton@...
          > www.holyincarnation.org

        • emmy88heaven
          Message 4 of 9 , May 7, 2008
            Glory to Jesus Christ! Many years! The Joy has just begun. I am a
            convert of 30 glorious years. Welcome to the Body of Christ!

            Rebecca in Lexington
            --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, Dave ©¿©¬ <dnaess@...>

            Message 5 of 9 , May 7, 2008
              Well, wait a minute 'emmy88heaven'. I want to hear your story. Converting
              to Orthodoxy 30 years ago was something quite different than it is today.
              If you feel comfortable doing so, I would love to hear your story.

              The same goes for everyone else on the list. Perhaps a post-paschal way to
              get the list going is for us to share a brief bit of our stories. Some of
              them may resonate with Lutheran lurkers looking to see how one could ever
              actually make the jump, and perhaps to give some guidance about problems
              that might arise along that way.

              Christopher

                Message 7 of 9 , May 8, 2008
                  My story is not yet complete (by complete I mean officially being
                  made part of the Orthodox Church). I started out in the Reformed
                  Church and we soon moved to the Episcopal Church (my step father was
                  Catholic and this was the church we could all go to). I grew up in
                  the Episcopal Church. I had a brief stint in the Assemblies of God
                  church (so I have the whole born again, re-baptized, baptism of the
                  Holy Spirit experience). Then after my marriage (in the Catholic
                  Church) my wife and I moved to the Episcopal Church. By now I could
                  see the theological issues in the Church I loved, and we moved (it
                  was very painful) to the LCMS.

                  My interest in Orthodoxy was actually sparked by the Ft Wayne
                  Seminary where I attended for over a year. In one of my classes we
                  were "discussing" Fr. Fentons letter stating he was leaving the LCMS
                  (my apologies Fr Fenton, for this "disscussion"). I began to read
                  anything I could get my hands on re: the Orthodox Church. I attended
                  my first service in August of 2007, and have been going every week.
                  Since September I have received instruction from Fr Anthony and
                  hopefully soon I will be Chrysimated (though I have learned
                  that "soon" is not an Orthodox word!!)

                  For any Lutherans or others (no offence intended on using generic
                  terms) my advice is if you do attend a Divine Liturgy, go more than
                  once before prayerfully deciding if it is for you. It is very
                  different in form from Western Churches (Fr Fenton's Church being
                  one of the exceptions) and for me it took a couple of times to get
                  used to the "weirdness".

                  --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, BPeter Brandt-Sorheim