Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Howdy! from a new kid on the block.

  • Anastasia Theodoridis
    Message 1 of 9 , May 7, 2008
      Many years to you, Dave, and may God grant you a good struggle!

      Anastasia
      e-mail: anastasiatheo01@...
      blog: http://anastasias-corner.blogspot.com

    • Fr John Fenton
      Message 2 of 9 , May 7, 2008
        Dave,

        Christus resurrexit!

        Welcome to our little group. When you're comfortable, I'd appreciate hearing more bits of your story. Mine is located at my blog (conversiaddominum.blogspot.com).

        Many years!

        Fr John W Fenton, Priest
        Holy Incarnation Orthodox Church
        A Western Rite Parish in the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

        frfenton@...
        www.holyincarnation.org

        Message 3 of 9 , May 7, 2008
          Hi Dave! Thanks for introducing yourself. I look forward to hearing more about your journey to Orthodoxy also.
          Love in Christ,
          phos (a Lutheran in the group)

          To: LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 9 , May 7, 2008
            Resurrexit vere!

            --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, Fr John Fenton
            <frfenton@...> wrote:

            > Dave,
            >
            > Christus resurrexit!
            >
            > Welcome to our little group. When you're comfortable, I'd
            appreciate hearing more bits of your story. Mine is located at my
            blog (conversiaddominum.blogspot.com).

            > Many years!
            >

            > Fr John W Fenton, Priest
            > Holy Incarnation Orthodox Church
            > A Western Rite Parish in the Antiochian Orthodox Christian
            Archdiocese of North America

            > frfenton@...
            > www.holyincarnation.org

          • emmy88heaven
            Message 5 of 9 , May 7, 2008
              Glory to Jesus Christ! Many years! The Joy has just begun. I am a
              convert of 30 glorious years. Welcome to the Body of Christ!

              Rebecca in Lexington
              --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, Dave ©¿©¬ <dnaess@...>

              Message 6 of 9 , May 7, 2008
                Well, wait a minute 'emmy88heaven'. I want to hear your story. Converting
                to Orthodoxy 30 years ago was something quite different than it is today.
                If you feel comfortable doing so, I would love to hear your story.

                The same goes for everyone else on the list. Perhaps a post-paschal way to
                get the list going is for us to share a brief bit of our stories. Some of
                them may resonate with Lutheran lurkers looking to see how one could ever
                actually make the jump, and perhaps to give some guidance about problems
                that might arise along that way.

                Christopher

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 8, 2008
                    My story is not yet complete (by complete I mean officially being
                    made part of the Orthodox Church). I started out in the Reformed
                    Church and we soon moved to the Episcopal Church (my step father was
                    Catholic and this was the church we could all go to). I grew up in
                    the Episcopal Church. I had a brief stint in the Assemblies of God
                    church (so I have the whole born again, re-baptized, baptism of the
                    Holy Spirit experience). Then after my marriage (in the Catholic
                    Church) my wife and I moved to the Episcopal Church. By now I could
                    see the theological issues in the Church I loved, and we moved (it
                    was very painful) to the LCMS.

                    My interest in Orthodoxy was actually sparked by the Ft Wayne
                    Seminary where I attended for over a year. In one of my classes we
                    were "discussing" Fr. Fentons letter stating he was leaving the LCMS
                    (my apologies Fr Fenton, for this "disscussion"). I began to read
                    anything I could get my hands on re: the Orthodox Church. I attended
                    my first service in August of 2007, and have been going every week.
                    Since September I have received instruction from Fr Anthony and
                    hopefully soon I will be Chrysimated (though I have learned
                    that "soon" is not an Orthodox word!!)

                    For any Lutherans or others (no offence intended on using generic
                    terms) my advice is if you do attend a Divine Liturgy, go more than
                    once before prayerfully deciding if it is for you. It is very
                    different in form from Western Churches (Fr Fenton's Church being
                    one of the exceptions) and for me it took a couple of times to get
                    used to the "weirdness".

                    --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, BPeter Brandt-Sorheim