Howdy! from a new kid on the block.

  • Dave ©¿©¬
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6 7:21 PM
      Howdy!

      I just found this group today.

      I was born into the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.
      I was attending Concordia Bronxville during Seminex.
      In addition to the church schism, I survived 2 congregational
      schisms (well survived one and joined a new congregation when
      I saw the second one developing.)

      I had a spiritual experience which did not fit into the box
      of Lutheran mindset and was a seeker for more than 10 years.

      After receiving 6 months of instruction, I was just Chrismated
      a few weeks ago into the Greek Orthodox Church.
    • Anastasia Theodoridis
      Message 2 of 9 , May 7 5:22 AM
        Many years to you, Dave, and may God grant you a good struggle!

        Anastasia
        e-mail: anastasiatheo01@...
        blog: http://anastasias-corner.blogspot.com

      • Fr John Fenton
        Message 3 of 9 , May 7 6:13 AM
          Dave,

          Christus resurrexit!

          Welcome to our little group. When you're comfortable, I'd appreciate hearing more bits of your story. Mine is located at my blog (conversiaddominum.blogspot.com).

          Many years!

          Fr John W Fenton, Priest
          Holy Incarnation Orthodox Church
          A Western Rite Parish in the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

          frfenton@...
          www.holyincarnation.org

        • phos_hilarion@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 9 , May 7 7:59 AM
            Hi Dave! Thanks for introducing yourself. I look forward to hearing more about your journey to Orthodoxy also.
            Love in Christ,
            phos (a Lutheran in the group)

            To: LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 9 , May 7 8:14 AM
              Resurrexit vere!

              --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, Fr John Fenton
              <frfenton@...> wrote:

              > Dave,
              >
              > Christus resurrexit!
              >
              > Welcome to our little group. When you're comfortable, I'd
              appreciate hearing more bits of your story. Mine is located at my
              blog (conversiaddominum.blogspot.com).

              > Many years!
              >

              > Fr John W Fenton, Priest
              > Holy Incarnation Orthodox Church
              > A Western Rite Parish in the Antiochian Orthodox Christian
              Archdiocese of North America

              > frfenton@...
              > www.holyincarnation.org

            • emmy88heaven
              Message 6 of 9 , May 7 10:22 AM
                Glory to Jesus Christ! Many years! The Joy has just begun. I am a
                convert of 30 glorious years. Welcome to the Body of Christ!

                Rebecca in Lexington
                --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, Dave ©¿©¬ <dnaess@...>

                Message 7 of 9 , May 7 10:48 AM
                  Well, wait a minute 'emmy88heaven'. I want to hear your story. Converting
                  to Orthodoxy 30 years ago was something quite different than it is today.
                  If you feel comfortable doing so, I would love to hear your story.

                  The same goes for everyone else on the list. Perhaps a post-paschal way to
                  get the list going is for us to share a brief bit of our stories. Some of
                  them may resonate with Lutheran lurkers looking to see how one could ever
                  actually make the jump, and perhaps to give some guidance about problems
                  that might arise along that way.

                  Christopher

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 8 12:01 PM
                      My story is not yet complete (by complete I mean officially being
                      made part of the Orthodox Church). I started out in the Reformed
                      Church and we soon moved to the Episcopal Church (my step father was
                      Catholic and this was the church we could all go to). I grew up in
                      the Episcopal Church. I had a brief stint in the Assemblies of God
                      church (so I have the whole born again, re-baptized, baptism of the
                      Holy Spirit experience). Then after my marriage (in the Catholic
                      Church) my wife and I moved to the Episcopal Church. By now I could
                      see the theological issues in the Church I loved, and we moved (it
                      was very painful) to the LCMS.

                      My interest in Orthodoxy was actually sparked by the Ft Wayne
                      Seminary where I attended for over a year. In one of my classes we
                      were "discussing" Fr. Fentons letter stating he was leaving the LCMS
                      (my apologies Fr Fenton, for this "disscussion"). I began to read
                      anything I could get my hands on re: the Orthodox Church. I attended
                      my first service in August of 2007, and have been going every week.
                      Since September I have received instruction from Fr Anthony and
                      hopefully soon I will be Chrysimated (though I have learned
                      that "soon" is not an Orthodox word!!)

                      For any Lutherans or others (no offence intended on using generic
                      terms) my advice is if you do attend a Divine Liturgy, go more than
                      once before prayerfully deciding if it is for you. It is very
                      different in form from Western Churches (Fr Fenton's Church being
                      one of the exceptions) and for me it took a couple of times to get
                      used to the "weirdness".

                      --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, BPeter Brandt-Sorheim