Biblicism of the Paschal Canon

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28 11:06 AM
      by Archimandrite Ephrem Lash

      The hymnwriters of the Church take their inspiration from the Holy
      Scriptures and the Fathers of the Church, but since the service books are
      intended for practical use in the services, they are not supplied with notes
      or commentary. Some knowledge of these sources is essential if one is fully
      to appreciate the theological richness of these texts.

      St Nikodemos of the Holy Mountain in his three volumes of commentary of the
      Festal Canons, including all those of Holy Week, is an extraordinary rich
      source for the study of these hymns. Sadly, they have never been translated
      into English and are not widely read in Greek, being written in elevated
      eighteenth century language.

      The following [link to a new] version of the Paschal Canon by St John of
      Damascus is an attempt to begin to supply this lack.

      The Paschal Canon <http://www.anastasis.org.uk/Paschal%20Canon%20Noted.pdf>

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 29 9:46 AM
        Christ is risen, alleluia!

        Your recommendations and suggestions are invited for patristic texts and/or theological studies which may assist in the acquisition and appreciation of a traditional multi-layered understanding of the psalm texts as literal/historical, as prefiguring Christ, as signifiying the church catholic and as reflecting the individual spiritual life.

        Peter Brandt-Sørheim

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29 9:51 AM
          The two Psalms volumes of the ACCS series edited by Oden would be of great
          value. You may also want to check a Scriptural passage listing in Joanna
          Manley's work on the Bible and Church Fathers for Orthodox - I can't
          remember if there is one in the back.

          Christopher

          On 4/29/08, BPeter Brandt-Sorheim <donpedrogordo@...> wrote:

          > Christ is risen, alleluia!
          >
          > Your recommendations and suggestions are invited for patristic texts
          > and/or theological studies which may assist in the acquisition and
          > appreciation of a traditional multi-layered understanding of the psalm texts
          > as literal/historical, as prefiguring Christ, as signifiying the church
          > catholic and as reflecting the individual spiritual life.
          >
          > Peter Brandt-Sørheim

        • sr72000
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 29 5:57 PM
            I would highly recommend Cassiodorus's three-volume commentary on the
            psalms...I think it would fit what you're looking for. (It is in the
            Ancient Christian Writers series, each volume in stock at Amazon.)

            I also use Chrysostom's commentaries....wonderful stuff in them, of
            course, but his use of typology is more muted, and there isn't
            commentary on all the psalms.

            Christ is risen!

            Subdeacon Randy

            --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, BPeter Brandt-Sorheim