Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Sunday School

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2008
      The main difference I note is that there is a Sunday School. Of course, my
      WELS churches had Sunday Schools but I never attended because I went to a
      WELS parochial school and had catechism/Bible Class and devotion everyday
      during the week. Orthodox churches tend not to have such schools - thought
      there are a few exceptions, especially in the Greek Archdiocese.

      I teach Sunday School and we tend to focus much less on 'doctrine' as a
      memorized, intelletctual fact and more on the practice of the faith. So,
      lots of talk about the services, lives of the saints, the sensory aspects of
      the faith (icons, candles, oil, wine, bread, vestments) and pull the
      doctrine of the Church out of these examples of the effect doctrine has on
      our lives an the life of the Church.

      I also see more and more efforts to get kids to know the Bible stories,
      since they are integral to understanding the allusions in the services and
      hymns of the services outside of Liturgy.

      Historically, I think SS was used as a way to help pass on the cultures
      immigrant Orthodox came from - of which Orthodoxy and the services were a
      major part. But, this could often devolve into SS as foreign language
      class. I think the focus on the services is natural, but was also perhaps
      overly emphasized sometimes due to the fact that the second and third
      generation children and grandchildren of immigrant Orthodox couldn't
      understand what was going on in the services since they were being served in
      a 'foreign' language. So, explanation of the incarnated forms of doctrine
      needed explaining before you could then start looking up bible passages and
      stories alluded to in the texts.

      Christopher