Questions

  • rmichaelzachary1
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2008
      If Lutherans concede that Luther was trying to reform the Catholic
      Church according to more apostolic standards and not found a new
      church, how is it they reject Orthodoxy's living continuity of being
      that Apostolic Catholic Church? Moreover, how can they justify sola
      scriptura when the Council of Laodicea, which established the NT
      Canon, was in the late fourth century, meaning that prior to that
      there was only Apostolic practice? How do they reconcile the fact
      that the OT Scriptures which our Saviour and St. Paul quoted were the
      Septuagint and not the Msaoretic text? Does this not constitute
      subtracting from Scripture? Finally, how do they reconcile their
      catechesis with the Vincentian Canon, which defines the Catholic Faith
      as "that Faith which was was held always, everywhere and by all?"
      Especially when the Holy Fathers clearly provide a different exegesis
      than the later reformers, some Fathers who had heard the Holy Apostles
      preach the Gospel?
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2008
        This list isn't intended as a forum to argue against Lutheranism or its
        tenets, but as a resource to explain Orthodoxy to Lutherans that are
        interested in what Orthodoxy believes of herself and the orthodox, catholic
        Christian Faith.
        The Orthodox-Lutheran Dialogue list on YahooGroups would be a better forum
        in which to ask Lutherans what they believe and why they are not Orthodox.
        It's Message archives would likely also witness to these issues being
        addressed by Lutherans and Orthodox already.
        Christopher Orr
        Moderator