"If ye were blind, ye should have no sin"

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2008
      *"Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye
      say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth."* (John 9:41)

      This passage struck me over the weekend. What might it tell us regarding
      the salvation of Orthodox and non-Orthodox?

    • WRVinovskis@cs.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 30, 2008
        With regard to praying for those outside of the Orthodox church, a friend of
        mine sent this:

        The practice is varied across Orthodoxy. I think it's safe to say that the
        minimum requirement for such prayer is that the people were baptized in the name
        of the Triune God in water, regardless of the "denomination."

        I include prayers for the departed of other faiths in a variety of settings:
        1. I remember my own departed, and those of other members, at the
        proskomedia, where bts of the breads used for communion are placed on the paten with the
        lamb (host). At the end of the service these are all swept into the chalice
        with the words, "Wash away the sins of those here commemorated..."
        2. I have remembered people on Soul Saturdays (the first three saturdays of
        Lent) at the panakhida or liturgy. (Panakhida is a somewhat lengthier service
        of commemoration than a simple litiya).
        3. I just finished a round of Epiphany house blessings, at which we ask
        people to put out a list of their relatives living and deceased whom they wish
        commemorated as "members of their household." I use one of the standard prayers in
        the prayer book for this commemoration.

        In our catechism we list "burial of the dead" as one of the acts of Christian
        charity, so while we would not use the entirety of the funeral service, and
        we must ask permission from the Archbishop to do so, many priests will serve a
        shortened funeral service for those not of the Orthodox faith.

        God's Peace,

        WRV