Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Orthodox understanding of the Gospel

  • Travis (Constantine) Stolz
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 20, 2008
      Consider the place of the icon of the Annunciation on the Royal Doors as well as precisely where the icon of the Theotokos of the Sign is placed on the iconostasis. This was a turning point for me, long ago while still Lutheran, in beginning to understand the Gospel.

      Yours,
      Travis (Constantine)

      Christopher Orr <xcjorr@...> wrote:
      Luke 1:38 (King James Version):

      And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to
      thy word. And the angel departed from her.
      I'm not sure I would agree that this is the central point about the Gospel
      as a whole.

      Christopher

    • Dr. James Royal Prickett
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 20, 2008
        --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Travis \(Constantine\)
        Stolz" <travis.stolz@...> wrote:

        > Consider the place of the icon of the Annunciation on the Royal
        Doors as well as precisely where the icon of the Theotokos of the
        Sign is placed on the iconostasis. This was a turning point for me,
        long ago while still Lutheran, in beginning to understand the Gospel.

        > Yours,
        > Travis (Constantine)

        We do not have these icons on our iconostasis, although they are the
        most prominent frescoes above the iconostasis. Select "The West Wall
        and Iconostasis" on the page linked here:

        http://stgeorge.ia.goarch.org/tour.htm#

        But your point is a good one, and one I had not considered. I found
        it is echoed in the discourse on (4) the icon of the Theotokos of the
        Sign on this Ukranian Orthodoxy page:

        http://www.unicorne.org/orthodoxy/avril2003/icons_of_the_theotokos.htm

        Always good to get something wonderful to ponder.

        Thanks,

        JiMi