Rules

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2008
      *As a side note: It is not my intention to offend anyone of the Orthodox
      faith on this list. However, I don't believe that I should have to pander to
      anyone by formulating what I *believe* as a question -- such would be to
      weaken my position and give the impression that I am doubtful or something
      less than convicted. I *am* here to glean and to learn what the Orthodox and
      Lutherans share in common and what it is that attracts a seemingly growing
      number of Lutherans to Orthodoxy -- but, at least at present, I am firmly
      convicted in my Lutheran confession. If I am in breach of the rules of this
      list, I apologize and ask the forgiveness of the moderator and any and all
      that I have sinned against. I will humbly acknowledge the rightness of my
      removal and/or will remove myself upon the moderator's request.*

      As a relatively new list, we haven't really dealt with issues such as this
      before, so, if Rev. Jon will allow, I would use his comments merely as an
      example from which to discuss the "rules" of this list.

      This is a list specifically for those interested in learning more about the
      Orthodox faith, which this list assumes to be the fullness of the faith and
      the Church. This is not a list for open ended 'dialogue'. This is a forum
      for inquiries and questions about Orthodoxy; it is purposefully a reactive
      resource that does not go out and try to convert others.

      One need not have to pander and imply a lack of sureness in one's beliefs to
      participate in the list, but it's customary when desirous of information to
      ask questions - and answering questions is what this list is for. We are
      most of us former Lutherans (pastors and seminary professors even), so we
      know what Lutheranism teaches, and have made ourselves available to explain
      Orthodoxy to Lutherans that do not know much about it.

      The Archdeacon at my church in NYC said something very interesting to me the
      first time I visited with questions. I was insulted at the time, but later
      came to understand how I presented myself. I had developed a series of
      statements and questions that cut to the quick concerning the Lutheran and
      biblical questions I had about Orthodox belief. He looked at them and said
      something to the effect of, well, it looks like you have all the answers,
      what do you want from me?

      I just want to make sure we don't devolve into a type of conversation that
      is confrontational in the way our legal system is where winning the argued
      point is more important than truth and love. I also don't want to argue
      about whether Lutheranism is right or wrong or fall into the trap of
      assuming a better argument will convert. We are persons, not abstract
      belief groups or syllogisms or debating topics and we all of us have
      something to learn from each other.

      Besides, we agree that you are "firmly *convicted* in [your] Lutheran
      confession", which is why we want to tell you a little more about Orthodoxy?
      :) Is your church near Albany? I'm down in Manhattan.
      Christopher