Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Lutherans and Orthodox in Heaven?

  • ANATASIA THEODORIDIS
    Message 1 of 53 , Jan 17, 2008
      Dear Phos,

      Well, there are a couple of different things going on in all this.

      First, in Orthodoxy, being in the Church and going to heaven are not synonymous. For us, the Church is like that wheat field in the parable, containing lots of tares. The Church consists of all who have received true Baptism. Believers and unbelievers, faithful and faithless, worshippers of Christ and idolaters, good and evil, if they are baptized into Christ, they have that mysterious connection to Him and they are ALL in the Church for now. Meaning, they are all in the Church until such time as Christ shall cast the latter out. This He does either at the Last Day, when He judges all men separates the wheat from the tares, or else via the Church's formal excommunication and anathema. In John 15:2, Jesus says, "Every branch *in Me* that bears not fruit, He [the Father] takes away..." Meanwhile they are all in Him.

      We admit the possibility, in fact, we cherish the hope, that in the Last Day, Christ may also add people to His Church. It's up to Him.

      Thus, we do not know who, even among the Orthodox (let alone anyone else) is ultimately going to be saved. Nor are we permitted to judge, either in the negative OR in the positive -- although the Church (as distinct form individuals) makes such judgments when she anathematizes or glorifies someone. We do not even judge ourselves, as St. Paul says. We simply trust in God, but always acknowledging that we are not absolutely immune from falling away.

      Since Orthodox doctrine recognizes only one Church and it's the Orthodox Church, your Orthodox friend was offering her private opinion and it most likely did not concern Lutheranism, but only you personally, and your destiny -- and her own, incidentally.

      Anastasia, also hoping to meet you in heaven

    • Brian Fink
      Message 53 of 53 , Jan 23, 2008
        You mean Pastor isnt their first name after all?

        Brian