Re: Atonement question

  • Dr. James Royal Prickett
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 28, 2007
      "The Ancestral Sin" is incredibly good in terms of putting forth the
      orthodox (small or large "O") position on original sin. While he
      makes it clear how St. Augustine erred in his interpretations on this
      matter, Romanides goes too far in discrediting Augustine himself, the
      Saintly man of God. Therefore, to gain a balanced perspective on St.
      Augustine, one might do well to also look at Fr. Seraphim Rose's "The
      Place of St. Augustine in the Orthodox Tradition."

      JiMi/James

      --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Orr"
      <xcjorr@...> wrote:

      > Fr. John Romanides has a book entitled "The Ancestral Sin" that
      gets into
      > this distinction. Broadly speaking, it is over whether we inherit
      the guilt
      > of Adam's sin or simply the mortality, corruptibility and tendency
      toward
      > sin.

    • tharman32
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2008
        I wanted to say thank you for the insight and recommended books. I
        ordered the one on Ancestral sin but the other by Kallistos Ware must
        be made of gold (the amazon new price is 12.95 and they are out of
        stock, but the used price is 30.00????). No worries regarding St
        Augustine - He is highly regarded at the seminary :) Also the priest
        at the orthodox church explained to me that even St Augustine himself
        said regarding some of his writings that they were his opinions only.
        So our priest considers him a Saint, and rightfully so I believe.

        Thanks again!
      • Randy Asburry
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2008
          For the book by Kallistos Ware, try this website: http://
          www.archangelsbooks.com/proddetail.asp?prod=LNLWAREKA%2D01

          Archangels Bookstore is locally owned here in St. Louis, and they
          usually have several copies of the Ware book. They do take orders on
          the Internet and gladly ship them, but I would also suggest calling
          the store to make sure they have the book in stock. If not, they will
          get it for you pronto. Also, I'm sure you'll find the price much
          better than Amazon's! :-)

          + + + + +
          Rev. Randy Asburry
          Hope Lutheran Church
          St. Louis, MO
          mailto:r.asburry@...
          Blog: http://rasburrysres.blogspot.com

          "Put not your trust in princes, in a son of man, in whom there is no
          salvation. When his breath departs he returns to the earth; on that
          very day his plans perish" (Psalm 146:3-4).

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2008
            St. Augustine was deemed such by an Ecumenical Council, so whatever anyone's
            opinion of him, the conciliar opinion is that he is a saint and a doctor of
            the Church. Some will refer to him as Blessed, but this is more to do with
            the fact that he was never officially added to the calendar of saints in the
            East rather than a slight at his Orthodoxy. Theophylact of Bulgaria, whose
            commentaries on Scripture are deeemed thoroughly Orthodoxy, is also referred
            to as Blessed.

            Christopher

            On 1/3/08, tharman32 <tharman32@...> wrote:

            > I wanted to say thank you for the insight and recommended books. I
            > ordered the one on Ancestral sin but the other by Kallistos Ware must
            > be made of gold (the amazon new price is 12.95 and they are out of
            > stock, but the used price is 30.00????). No worries regarding St
            > Augustine - He is highly regarded at the seminary :) Also the priest
            > at the orthodox church explained to me that even St Augustine himself
            > said regarding some of his writings that they were his opinions only.
            > So our priest considers him a Saint, and rightfully so I believe.
            >
            > Thanks again!

          • Fr John W Fenton
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2008
              Chris Orr wrote:

              Some will refer to him [St Augustine] as Blessed.

              You mean, like some refer to the Theotokos as "Blessed Virgin Mary"? :-)

              (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

              <http://holyincarnation.org>

              The Ancient Way ... Come and See

              Fr. John W Fenton
              Priest

              Holy Incarnation Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church

              <http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=8941+Quandt&csz=Allen+Park+M
              I+48101&country=us> 8941 Quandt
              Allen Park MI 48101

              <mailto:frfenton@...> frfenton@...