Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Liturgical Dance

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
      I would say that there is a place for religiously inspired dance, which
      itself can be quite 'liturgical'. But, as Fr. John has noted, there is
      simply no history of dance taking place in the Christian Church in any
      widespread or consistent way - whatever an OT example may show (we have
      dropped polygamy and monarchy, too).

      In a traditionally served Byzantine Rite there is quite a lot of 'dance'
      that takes place with all of the crosses, crossing and bowing, bowing,
      crossing and prostrating, etc. all at their particular times. Then there is
      the censing of the temple at various points during the services, which
      requires the congregants to move out of the way of the Deacon or Priest, the
      procession to the center of the nave, to the narthex, and even out to the
      street or around the entire church building (or around the block in a city
      parish such as mine) and you get quite a lot of motion - in addition to the
      other Entrances Fr. John mentioned.

      Christopher