Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Re: Orthodox Christians and Politics

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 7, 2007
      There is a great little anecdote about St. Nicholas Planas (+1932) of Athens
      regarding politics:

      '...people where discussing politics at a certain house. "So, what do you
      say, Father?" they asked him. Once he recovered from the depth of his
      thought, he wanted to say something. "Who is governing now?"'

      See the Life of St. (Papa) Nicholas Planas
      here<http://www.serfes.org/lives/stnicholas.htm>
      .

      Christopher

      PS. It took me forever to find this reference, I kept thinking it was
      something that Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain had said.

      On 11/7/07, krolechka <krolechka@...> wrote:

      > I believe, being involved in politics is very harmful to one's inner
      > spiritual life, regardless of being a monastic or a layman. And I
      > believe, the saints would say the same (not just politics but
      > unnecessary involvement in any kind of debate) although at the moment
      > I can't present any quotes, sorry.

      > "Dan L." <teengreek@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Anyways, my point is why isn't the Church near as politically active
      > > as the Lutherans?

    • krolechka
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 8, 2007
        This is a great story! Although I've never heard of St. Nicholas
        Planas, this is exactly what I meant. :)
        I'll go read on him now. Thank you, Christopher!
        Sasha

        --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Orr"

        LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com<LutheransLookingEast%40yahoogroups.com>,