RE: [LutheransLookingEast] Liturgical Dance

  • JWF
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
      Hi Michael,

      Thanks for dropping by.

      There are two ways to answer your question about liturgical dance.

      1. The practice of liturgical dance, as you described it, is not within
      the tradition of the Church. Although a similar or identical practice may be
      found in one place or during one particular time, that does not mean it is
      within the Church's liturgical tradition. To be within the Church's
      tradition means that the practice must be received (even if not practiced
      everywhere). Indications of such "reception" are longstanding use, or
      approval through several diocese/jurisdictions. (This is not an exhaustive
      list of how practices may be received; simply an example.)
      2. The Orthodox churches of various rites already have a form of
      "liturgical dance." It is not the interpretive movements of an individual or
      group of specially trained "dancers." Rather, it is the movement of the
      bishop or priest with his attendant clergy and servers. For example, the
      Great Entrance in the Byzantine Rite is most certainly a "dance" as the
      priest processes the gifts through the assembly with incense, cross, fans,
      icons, and other items being carried. In the Western Rite, the movements of
      the celebrant, clergy and servers are carefully choreographed to indicate
      both reverence and elegance. In both instances, the "dance" is regulated by
      rubrics and so is not "free-form." In other words, the servers at the
      liturgy submit and conform their movements or "dance" not to their own
      interpretation, but to the Church's tradition. In this way, the Church's art
      of "liturgical dance" is similar to the Church's art of iconography, which
      is not left to the individual artist's tastes or desires; rather, the artist
      submits himself to the received discipline (i.e., tradition) of the Church.

      I hope this helps to answer to your question. If not-or if it prompts
      further questions-please ask again!

      Fr John W Fenton

      Holy Incarnation <http://holyincarnation.org/> Orthodox Church

      frfenton@...

      _____

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
        I would say that there is a place for religiously inspired dance, which
        itself can be quite 'liturgical'. But, as Fr. John has noted, there is
        simply no history of dance taking place in the Christian Church in any
        widespread or consistent way - whatever an OT example may show (we have
        dropped polygamy and monarchy, too).

        In a traditionally served Byzantine Rite there is quite a lot of 'dance'
        that takes place with all of the crosses, crossing and bowing, bowing,
        crossing and prostrating, etc. all at their particular times. Then there is
        the censing of the temple at various points during the services, which
        requires the congregants to move out of the way of the Deacon or Priest, the
        procession to the center of the nave, to the narthex, and even out to the
        street or around the entire church building (or around the block in a city
        parish such as mine) and you get quite a lot of motion - in addition to the
        other Entrances Fr. John mentioned.

        Christopher