Re: Orthodox Christians and Politics

  • krolechka
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 7, 2007
      I believe, being involved in politics is very harmful to one's inner
      spiritual life, regardless of being a monastic or a layman. And I
      believe, the saints would say the same (not just politics but
      unnecessary involvement in any kind of debate) although at the moment
      I can't present any quotes, sorry.

      --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Dan L." <teengreek@...>

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 7, 2007
        There is a great little anecdote about St. Nicholas Planas (+1932) of Athens
        regarding politics:

        '...people where discussing politics at a certain house. "So, what do you
        say, Father?" they asked him. Once he recovered from the depth of his
        thought, he wanted to say something. "Who is governing now?"'

        See the Life of St. (Papa) Nicholas Planas
        here<http://www.serfes.org/lives/stnicholas.htm>
        .

        Christopher

        PS. It took me forever to find this reference, I kept thinking it was
        something that Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain had said.

        On 11/7/07, krolechka <krolechka@...> wrote:

        > I believe, being involved in politics is very harmful to one's inner
        > spiritual life, regardless of being a monastic or a layman. And I
        > believe, the saints would say the same (not just politics but
        > unnecessary involvement in any kind of debate) although at the moment
        > I can't present any quotes, sorry.

        > "Dan L." <teengreek@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Anyways, my point is why isn't the Church near as politically active
        > > as the Lutherans?

      • krolechka
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 8, 2007
          This is a great story! Although I've never heard of St. Nicholas
          Planas, this is exactly what I meant. :)
          I'll go read on him now. Thank you, Christopher!
          Sasha

          --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Orr"

          LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com<LutheransLookingEast%40yahoogroups.com>,