Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Re: Confession

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 26, 2007
      In the Orthodox Old Calendarist parishes which I attend, individual [private] confession is not required prior to each communion of the Body and Blood of our Lord. Nevertheless there is an expectation of ongoing spiritual direction and periodic confession and absolution. In both Western Rite and Eastern Rite in these settings there is a general absolution of the eligible communicants just before administration of the consecrated elements. After more than twenty years using the before and after communion prayers indicated by Christopher, I very much miss them if for some reason I cut them short. It is in the devout reading of the liturgical and paraliturgical texts of the church that her mind set and faith become clear, that her insight into the true sense of the Sacred Scriptures is laid out before us. Peter

      Christopher Orr <xcjorr@...> wrote: The prayers before communion make it very clear that Communion is a fearful,
      wonderful and dangerous thing. The Russian practice has been to confess
      prior to communion so as to prepare as much as possible for uniting
      ourselves with the consuming fire that is the Lord. The prayers are
      beautiful. You can read them here:

      http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/prayerbook/cont1.htm#21

      And the Canon of Preparation Before Holy Communion here:

      http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/prayerbook/cancomu.htm

      The ones that immediately come to mind are:

      > Behold I approach for Divine Communion.
      > O Creator, let me not be burnt by communicating,
      > For Thou art Fire which burns the unworthy.
      > But purify me from every stain.
      > Tremble, O man, when you see the deifying Blood,
      > For it is a coal that burns the unworthy.
      > The Body of God both deifies and nourishes;
      > It deifies the spirit and wondrously nourishes the mind.

      Thou hast ravished me with longing, O Christ, and with Thy divine love Thou
      > hast changed me. But burn up with spiritual fire my sins and make me worthy
      > to be filled with delight in Thee, that I may leap for joy, O gracious Lord,
      > and magnify Thy two comings.
      >
      > Into the splendor of Thy Saints how shall I who am unworthy enter? For if
      > I dare to enter the bridechamber, my vesture betrays me, for it is not a
      > wedding garment, and as a prisoner I shall be cast out by the Angels.
      > Cleanse my soul from pollution and save me, O Lord, in Thy love for men.
      >
      > Sovereign Lover of men, Lord Jesus my God, let not these Holy Things be to
      > me for judgment through my being unworthy, but for the purification and
      > sanctification of my soul and body, and as a pledge of the life and kingdom
      > to come. For it is good for me to cling to God and to place in the Lord my
      > hope of salvation.

      Christopher

      On 10/26/07, krolechka <krolechka@...> wrote:

      > > "The servant/handmaiden of God communes of the Precious Body and
      > Blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ unto remission of sins and
      > unto life everlasting."
      > >
      > > So, even apart from a formal Sacrament of Confession, forgiveness of
      > sins was offered sinful humanity "in the breaking of bread".
      >
      > Interesting... it may seem obvious to many, but people in some
      > churches (like Russian) simply don't think of it since the Confession
      > is required before each Communion (unless the communican comes to the
      > Chalice every Liturgy).
      > But if the forgiveness is offered at the Communion, why have a
      > separate Sacrament of Confession?

    • JiMiRoYaL
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 26, 2007
        --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Orr"
        <xcjorr@...> wrote:

        > The prayers before communion make it very clear that Communion is
        a fearful,
        > wonderful and dangerous thing. The Russian practice has been to
        confess
        > prior to communion so as to prepare as much as possible for uniting
        > ourselves with the consuming fire that is the Lord. The prayers
        are
        > beautiful. You can read them here:
        >
        > http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/prayerbook/cont1.htm#21

        And you can listen to them chanted in English (as well as morning
        and evening prayers) through this site (follow their links on the
        left):

        http://www.pomog.org/

        JiMi