Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Re: Confession

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 22, 2007
      *...no later sins forgiven? That'd be SCARY to me.*
      **
      I should also note that communing of the Eucharist offers one the
      forgiveness of sins, too. As the priest says:

      > "The servant/handmaiden of God communes of the Precious Body and Blood of
      > our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ unto remission of sins and unto life
      > everlasting."

      This is also seen in the fact that following the lifetime confession of an
      adult convert to the Orthodox faith, the prayer of absolution is not said.
      Absolution is given in the communing of the Lord's Body and Blood that are
      received (traditionally) immediately following the Mysteries of Baptism and
      Chrismation in the Divine Liturgy.

      So, even apart from a formal Sacrament of Confession, forgiveness of sins
      was offered sinful humanity "in the breaking of bread".

    • krolechka
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 26, 2007
        > "The servant/handmaiden of God communes of the Precious Body and
        Blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ unto remission of sins and
        unto life everlasting."

        > So, even apart from a formal Sacrament of Confession, forgiveness of
        sins was offered sinful humanity "in the breaking of bread".

        Interesting... it may seem obvious to many, but people in some
        churches (like Russian) simply don't think of it since the Confession
        is required before each Communion (unless the communican comes to the
        Chalice every Liturgy).
        But if the forgiveness is offered at the Communion, why have a
        separate Sacrament of Confession?
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 26, 2007
          The prayers before communion make it very clear that Communion is a fearful,
          wonderful and dangerous thing. The Russian practice has been to confess
          prior to communion so as to prepare as much as possible for uniting
          ourselves with the consuming fire that is the Lord. The prayers are
          beautiful. You can read them here:

          http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/prayerbook/cont1.htm#21

          And the Canon of Preparation Before Holy Communion here:

          http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/prayerbook/cancomu.htm

          The ones that immediately come to mind are:

          > Behold I approach for Divine Communion.
          > O Creator, let me not be burnt by communicating,
          > For Thou art Fire which burns the unworthy.
          > But purify me from every stain.
          > Tremble, O man, when you see the deifying Blood,
          > For it is a coal that burns the unworthy.
          > The Body of God both deifies and nourishes;
          > It deifies the spirit and wondrously nourishes the mind.

          Thou hast ravished me with longing, O Christ, and with Thy divine love Thou
          > hast changed me. But burn up with spiritual fire my sins and make me worthy
          > to be filled with delight in Thee, that I may leap for joy, O gracious Lord,
          > and magnify Thy two comings.
          >
          > Into the splendor of Thy Saints how shall I who am unworthy enter? For if
          > I dare to enter the bridechamber, my vesture betrays me, for it is not a
          > wedding garment, and as a prisoner I shall be cast out by the Angels.
          > Cleanse my soul from pollution and save me, O Lord, in Thy love for men.
          >
          > Sovereign Lover of men, Lord Jesus my God, let not these Holy Things be to
          > me for judgment through my being unworthy, but for the purification and
          > sanctification of my soul and body, and as a pledge of the life and kingdom
          > to come. For it is good for me to cling to God and to place in the Lord my
          > hope of salvation.

          Christopher

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 26, 2007
            In the Orthodox Old Calendarist parishes which I attend, individual [private] confession is not required prior to each communion of the Body and Blood of our Lord. Nevertheless there is an expectation of ongoing spiritual direction and periodic confession and absolution. In both Western Rite and Eastern Rite in these settings there is a general absolution of the eligible communicants just before administration of the consecrated elements. After more than twenty years using the before and after communion prayers indicated by Christopher, I very much miss them if for some reason I cut them short. It is in the devout reading of the liturgical and paraliturgical texts of the church that her mind set and faith become clear, that her insight into the true sense of the Sacred Scriptures is laid out before us. Peter

            Christopher Orr <xcjorr@...> wrote: The prayers before communion make it very clear that Communion is a fearful,

          • JiMiRoYaL
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 26, 2007
              --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Orr"
              <xcjorr@...> wrote:

              > The prayers before communion make it very clear that Communion is
              a fearful,
              > wonderful and dangerous thing. The Russian practice has been to
              confess
              > prior to communion so as to prepare as much as possible for uniting
              > ourselves with the consuming fire that is the Lord. The prayers
              are
              > beautiful. You can read them here:
              >
              > http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/prayerbook/cont1.htm#21

              And you can listen to them chanted in English (as well as morning
              and evening prayers) through this site (follow their links on the
              left):

              http://www.pomog.org/

              JiMi