Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Re: "Fenton" a swear word at Concordia WI

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 17, 2007
      Dear in Christ Ezekiel and readers,
      Not widely practiced is perhaps an understatement regarding confession. Luther spoke strong words about the matter suggesting that those who did not gladly come to confession for the sake of absolution should be sent back to the pope to be coerced as they had not yet appreciated the gospel. General confession and general absolution are good but not quite the same. Not that this is any surprise to those familiar with the Lutheran Symbols!
      Yes, the accusations of abandoning the congregations are familiar. I am inclined to see on the other hand an abandonment of the true spirit of the Lutheran / Evangelische reformation: to keep to the approved and sound traditions which support the Gospel and not to depart from the solid catholic wholeness. When I must chose between the instructions of such as John Chrysostom [the Golden Tongue] and reinterpretations of later folks, well, my change from Lutheran pastor to Orthodox is no surprise.
      Dear friends have stayed within the Lutheran community, doing as best they can to maintain and build up. But will not others tear down? I miss Pastor Evans who preceded Pastor Fenton at Zion but see Fr Fenton as completing the genuine path of the reformation. I am sorry to live so far away from him but my prayers are with him and so many others who have followed the Gospel. BPeter Brandt-Sørheim

      Edward Wolfe <ewolfe@...> wrote:
      Confession is part of the Lutheran confession, to be sure, but it is
      NOT widely practiced. In fact, some years ago, when I was still a
      Lutheran pastor, a colleague said at a pastoral conference that
      Confession was an "anachronism. "

    • JWF
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 17, 2007
        Dan,

        Several have mentioned very good reasons for the reaction, and all are part
        of the answer. Here are two other factors:

        * "He-who-ought-not-be-named" :-) served a parish for 5 years in the
        South Wisconsin District, serving also on district committees and becoming
        known to (theology) faculty at CUW
        * "He-who-ought-not-be-named" :-) wrote a resolution that passed the
        SWD convention (1991, I believe) and, at its passing, was commended to the
        1992 LCMS convention. But perhaps this is not remembered.

        Fr John W Fenton

        Priest, Holy Incarnation Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church

        <mailto:frfenton@...> frfenton@...

        http://HolyIncarnation.org <http://holyincarnation.org/>

        <mailto:frfenton@...>

        _____

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 18, 2007
          On the matter of Lutherans and Confession and Absolution, check out my blog
          at HYPERLINK
          "http://rasburrysres.blogspot.com/2007/10/homily-trinity-19.html"http://rasb
          urrysres.blogspot.com/2007/10/homily-trinity-19.html . I posted this past
          Sunday’s homily in which I tied Private Confession and Absolution to the
          story of Jesus healing the Paralytic. In the homily I also urged folks to
          partake of Confession and Absolution (much as Luther himself did in the
          Large Catechism, I might say). But when you see the first comment after my
          homily, you can see a typical “Confessional Lutheran” dismissal and
          rationalizing away of Confession itself, even though it is clearly advocated
          and taught in the Lutheran Symbols. I truly don’t know who “Anonymous” is,
          but I have heard these points and this argumentation many times before from
          Lutheran parishioners.

          Randy

          + + + + +
          Rev. Randy Asburry
          Hope Lutheran Church
          St. Louis, MO
          HYPERLINK "mailto:r.asburry@..."mailto:r.asburry@...
          Blog: HYPERLINK
          "http://rasburrysres.blogspot.com"http://rasburrysres.blogspot.com

          “...we on our part shall not omit doing anything, in so far as God and
          conscience allow, that may serve the cause of Christian unity." (Augsburg
          Confession, Preface, 13; Tappert, 26).

          _____

          Edward Wolfe <HYPERLINK "mailto:ewolfe%40charter.net"ewolfe@charter.-net>
          wrote:
          Confession is part of the Lutheran confession, to be sure, but it is
          NOT widely practiced. In fact, some years ago, when I was still a
          Lutheran pastor, a colleague said at a pastoral conference that
          Confession was an "anachronism. "

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          7:53 PM

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.