nonsense one finds on the 'net

  • Lisa
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
      so, I'm wondering what the folks here do when having otherwise civil
      discussions with people who drop references like
      this one
      http://altreligion.about.com/library/texts/bl_resurrectionmyth.htm
      into conversations.

      Other than dropping out of the conversation - is there a way to engage
      people who espouse the beliefs expressed in this article and others
      like it (not so much the bit about the older resurrection myths but the
      way the Gospel accounts are dated, set against each other & dismissed)

      Lisa
    • Anastasia Theodoridis
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2007
        I personally would NOT address this, because this kind of sloppy thinking shows the author has an agenda of his own, and THAT is what really would need to be addressed. He is a former Catholic monk, he says. Okay, his agenda is almost certainly to justify the "former" by debunking Rome, probably for purposes having to do with sexuality. There are countless ex-Catholics trying to do the same.

        But of course what he wrote is not so much nonsense as simply irrelevant to us. So what if pagan religions also had death and resurrection stories? Pagan religions all encapsulate at least some portion of the deepest hopes and dreams of mankind. Only Christianity *fulfills* them.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2007
          Orthodoxy also accepts the fact that God spoke to non-Israelites/non-Jews as
          well. St. Justin Martyr and some of the other ante-Nicene Fathers dealing
          with explaining Christianity (and its relation to Judaism) spoke of the
          foreshadowings of Christ found in the pagan Greek philosophers, for
          instance. Some held this to be from the philosophers exposure to the books
          of Moses and then related to the Greeks in an impure, misunderstood manner,
          others held that God took account of the weakness of the pagans and worked
          through their pagan faiths ("All things work together for the good of them
          that love God...") to turn the falsity of their fallen faith toward their
          salvation. This was all a kind of preparation for them to accept the Gospel
          in its fullness when it arrived in the fullness of time.

          Orthodoxy teaches that prior to the Resurrection, ALL souls - righteous and
          unrighteous, Jew and Gentile, went to the same place: Sheol. St. John the
          Baptist continued his Forerunner preaching in Sheol when he arrived so that
          the souls of the departed would be prepared for the breaking of the brass
          gates of Hades by Christ on Holy Saturday (the Great and Holy Sabbath, the
          fulfillment of the prophetic 7th day) and led into the Kingdom of Heaven.

          In more modern times, the Aleuts of Alaska had many foreshadowings of the
          true faith in their pagan religion. This is why the shamans so readily
          renounced their faith (and livlihood) and accepted the God they had been
          expecting. There is more on this in Fr. Michael Oleska's "Orthodox Alaska".

          Christopher