RE: [LutheransLookingEast] Re: New file uploaded to LutheransLookingEast

  • Randy Asburry
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 16, 2007
      Will the audio files of these presentations be made available on
      ancientfaithradio.com? I checked a couple of days ago, but I didn't find
      anything. Maybe it was just too early, though.

      + + + + +
      Rev. Randy Asburry
      Hope Lutheran Church
      St. Louis, MO
      <mailto:r.asburry@...> mailto:r.asburry@...
      Blog: http://rasburrysres.blogspot.com

      "...we on our part shall not omit doing anything, in so far as God and
      conscience allow, that may serve the cause of Christian unity." (Augsburg
      Confession, Preface, 13; Tappert, 26).

      _____

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 17, 2007
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the LutheransLookingEast
        group.

        File : /Sola Corpore Christi.doc.doc
        Uploaded by : christopher3rd <xcjorr@...>
        Description : Sola Corpore Christi: The Authority of Scripture in the Orthodox Church, for Lutherans

        You can access this file at the URL:

        Regards,

        christopher3rd <xcjorr@...>
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 17, 2007
          They will be posted on the Ancient Faith Radio website "once they are
          produced", which was the phrase used by the man that runs AFR who was
          recording the presentations.

          Personally, I am hoping they make the texts of the presentations
          available, too, since just about everyone left stuf out of what they
          were going to say due to time - though I must say the scheduling was
          perfect leaving me never feeling as if people went on too long, we
          didn't have enough breaks, etc.

          Christopher

          --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Asburry"

            <r.asburry@...> wrote:

            > Will the audio files of these presentations be made available on
            > ancientfaithradio.com? I checked a couple of days ago, but I didn't
            find
            > anything. Maybe it was just too early, though.
            >

            > + + + + +
            > Rev. Randy Asburry
            > Hope Lutheran Church
            > St. Louis, MO
            > <mailto:r.asburry@...> mailto:r.asburry@...
            > Blog: http://rasburrysres <http://rasburrysres.blogspot.com> .blogspot.com

          • JWF
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 20, 2007
              For those who may be interested, my presentation at the colloquium is also
              available in written form at:

              http://holyincarnation.org/inquirers.php

              Select "Creeds & Confessions in Orthodoxy."

              Fr John W Fenton

              Priest, Holy Incarnation Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church

              <mailto:frfenton@...> frfenton@...

              http://HolyIncarnation.org <http://holyincarnation.org/>

              <mailto:frfenton@...>

              _____

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 20, 2007
                Here are the opening paragraphs to my presentation “Creeds & Confessions in
                Orthodoxy.”

                A Lutheran who sincerely and fairly examines Orthodoxy will find commonality
                in more areas than not; he will be intrigued by many ceremonies and not a
                few doctrinal nuances; he will bump up against some things that are flatly
                contradicted in Lutheranism; he will be surprised by what he learns about
                his own faith; he will cry out for a lexicon as he attempts to navigate his
                way through new or similar sounding terms; and he will scratch his head in
                bewilderment at several points. But my experience has taught me that a
                Lutheran’s greatest frustration will be attempting to make adequate
                comparisons. For the first instinct a Lutheran has is to look for a document
                or a series of documents in Orthodoxy which resemble the 1580 Book of
                Concord. Perhaps, in his investigation, a Lutheran will come across a list
                of “Orthodox confessional documents” such as those provided by Bishop
                Kallistos Ware in his book, The Orthodox Church. And perhaps in his search
                the Lutheran will come across a multitude of Orthodox catechisms, which
                differ widely in format and arrangement and which are quite unlike the
                concise, well conceived Small Catechism of Martin Luther. And then perhaps
                he will be cheered by the systematic manner in which Patriarch Jeremias
                responds to the Tübingen theologians—a pattern that closely resembles the
                outline of the Augsburg Confession. Nevertheless his frustration will remain
                and, like not a few, he will conclude in despair that Orthodoxy has no
                doctrinal standard, or that its doctrinal standard is similar to nailing
                jello to a wall.

                Let me state plainly and bluntly from the start that Orthodoxy does have a
                doctrinal standard. That standard, which like much in Orthodoxy does not
                measure up to post-reformational standards, is the Tradition of the Church.
                What that means I shall describe in this presentation, as well as how it
                relates to Orthodoxy’s understanding of creeds and confessions of faith. Let
                it suffice, however, that the Tradition of the Church can be most easily
                accessed in the Church’s Liturgy. In the words of Anastasios Kallis, “The
                identity of Orthodoxy consists neither in a doctrine nor in an
                organizational system, but in the correct praise of the Triune God, which
                has its center in the celebration of the Eucharist, or simply in the
                Liturgy, through which the one congregation assembled in the name of Christ
                becomes his body, his church.”[1] According to Jaroslav Pelikan (a former
                Lutheran), Orthodoxy’s particular view of liturgy as prayed creed indicates
                “a principal reason for [the] ambivalent position of ‘symbolical books’
                within…Orthodoxy.” Let us understand, however, that Orthodoxy sees the
                liturgy as of the Spirit; and that for Orthodoxy liturgy is within the
                matrix called Tradition. While the comparison is not precise, the frustrated
                Lutheran might consider Tradition comparable to his Book of Concord.
                Therefore, to compare apples to apples, he might want to examine Orthodoxy’s
                liturgy alongside Lutheranism’s confessional documents.

                While Orthodoxy’s liturgy may be the easiest way for a Lutheran both to
                compare doctrinal content and to access the Church’s Tradition, one must
                understand the overall place, use and purpose of creeds and confessions of
                faith in Orthodoxy. That is what I will endeavor to describe and illustrate
                in my presentation. I shall first begin by describing how confessing the
                Faith is a doxological act and not merely a series of propositions. I shall
                then briefly describe how the Orthodox teaching of the Church underlies the
                confession of the Faith. And finally I will describe how creeds and
                confessions of the faith are part of the greater matrix that is the Church’s
                Tradition. In all this, I ask the Spirit by the prayers of Your Eminence and
                my learned brethren to correct and guide me should I, a novice, misrepresent
                in any way the mind of Holy Mother Church.

                Fr John W Fenton

                Priest, Holy Incarnation Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church

                <mailto:frfenton@...> frfenton@...

                http://HolyIncarnation.org <http://holyincarnation.org/>

                <mailto:frfenton@...>

                _____

                [1] In Pelikan, Credo, p. 405.

              • Lisa
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 20, 2007
                  --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "JWF" <frfenton@...> wrote:

                  > Here are the opening paragraphs to my presentation "Creeds &
                  Confessions in
                  > Orthodoxy."

                  > A Lutheran who sincerely and fairly examines Orthodoxy will find
                  commonality
                  > in more areas than not; he will be intrigued by many ceremonies and
                  not a
                  > few doctrinal nuances; he will bump up against some things that are
                  flatly
                  > contradicted in Lutheranism; he will be surprised by what he learns
                  about
                  > his own faith; he will cry out for a lexicon as he attempts to
                  navigate his
                  > way through new or similar sounding terms; and he will scratch his
                  head in
                  > bewilderment at several points.
                  [big snip]

                  Fr. John -
                  I listened to your talk during my lunchtime today. I may have to listen
                  to it again before commenting (if then) - please don't take lack of
                  comment for dis-enthusiasm. I liked what you had to say.

                  Lisa
                • Anastasia Theodoridis
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 22, 2007
                    Dear Fr. John,

                    I listened to your presentation several days ago, but had no time to write to congratulate you on it. I loved it all, and it cleared up a thing that often seems to bother Lutherans and others.

                    It just is not all about text(s).

                  • LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 7, 2007
                      Hello,

                      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the LutheransLookingEast
                      group.

                      File : /Eastern_Orthodox_Statues.doc
                      Uploaded by : k3n77 <jimi@...>
                      Description : On Orthodox Statues