Re: New file uploaded to LutheransLookingEast

  • lieffring
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 16, 2007
      Christopher, is this the paper you presented at the Colloquium in
      Detroit? A friend of mine was there and spoke very enthusiastically
      about it. He didn't have an electronic copy to send me but if this
      is it...that solves the problem...except for one thing. I can't open
      the file and I tried a number of my standard software programs.
      What's the trick?

      Thanks and good job! (So I hear...can't wait to read for myself.)----
      -R

      --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com,
      LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Hello,

      > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the
      LutheransLookingEast
      > group.
      >
      > File : /Sola Corpore Christi (Final with changes).docm
      > Uploaded by : christopher3rd <xcjorr@...>
      > Description : Sola Corpore Christi: The Authority of Scripture in
      the Orthodox Church, for Lutherans

      > You can access this file at the URL:
      20Corpore%20Christi%20%28Final%20with%20changes%29.docm

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 16, 2007
        I presented sections 6-8 of this paper at the Colloquium; this is the full
        thing. You can access an unformatted version of the paper, in the meantime,
        on my blog at:

        http://orrologion.blogspot.com/2007/09/sola-corpore-christi.html

        My office computer keeps saving documents in .docm and not .doc which is
        what I uploaded. Unfortunately, my battery died, so I will upload a Word
        2003 .doc version tomorrow to the Files.

        Glad your friend enjoyed what I had to say. I was in some pretty
        heavy-weight company being simply a somewhat well-read layman and was
        extremely impressed by the other presenters' papers.

        Christopher

        On 9/16/07, lieffring <rose.lieffring@...> wrote:

        > Christopher, is this the paper you presented at the Colloquium in
        > Detroit? A friend of mine was there and spoke very enthusiastically
        > about it. He didn't have an electronic copy to send me but if this
        > is it...that solves the problem...except for one thing. I can't open
        > the file and I tried a number of my standard software programs.
        > What's the trick?
        >
        > Thanks and good job! (So I hear...can't wait to read for myself.)----
        > -R

        > LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com<LutheransLookingEast%40yahoogroups.com>wrote:
        > >

        > > Hello,

        > > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the
        > LutheransLookingEast
        > > group.
        > >
        > > File : /Sola Corpore Christi (Final with changes).docm
        > > Uploaded by : christopher3rd <xcjorr@...>
        > > Description : Sola Corpore Christi: The Authority of Scripture in
        > the Orthodox Church, for Lutherans

        > 20Corpore%20Christi%20%28Final%20with%20changes%29.docm
        > >
        > > To learn more about file sharing for your group, please visit:
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > christopher3rd <xcjorr@...>

      • Randy Asburry
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 16, 2007
          Will the audio files of these presentations be made available on
          ancientfaithradio.com? I checked a couple of days ago, but I didn't find
          anything. Maybe it was just too early, though.

          + + + + +
          Rev. Randy Asburry
          Hope Lutheran Church
          St. Louis, MO
          <mailto:r.asburry@...> mailto:r.asburry@...
          Blog: http://rasburrysres.blogspot.com

          "...we on our part shall not omit doing anything, in so far as God and
          conscience allow, that may serve the cause of Christian unity." (Augsburg
          Confession, Preface, 13; Tappert, 26).

          _____

          On 9/16/07, lieffring <rose.lieffring@ <mailto:rose.lieffring%40gmail.com>
          gmail.com> wrote:

          > Christopher, is this the paper you presented at the Colloquium in
          > Detroit? A friend of mine was there and spoke very enthusiastically
          > about it. He didn't have an electronic copy to send me but if this
          > is it...that solves the problem...except for one thing. I can't open
          > the file and I tried a number of my standard software programs.
          > What's the trick?
          >
          > Thanks and good job! (So I hear...can't wait to read for myself.)----
          > -R
          >
          > --- In LutheransLookingEas <mailto:LutheransLookingEast%40yahoogroups.com>
          t@yahoogroups.com<LutheransLookingEast%40yahoogroups.com>,

          > LutheransLookingEas <mailto:LutheransLookingEast%40yahoogroups.com>
          t@yahoogroups.com<LutheransLookingEast%40yahoogroups.com>wrote:

          > > Hello,

          > > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the
          > LutheransLookingEast
          > > group.
          > >
          > > File : /Sola Corpore Christi (Final with changes).docm
          > > Uploaded by : christopher3rd <xcjorr@...>
          > > Description : Sola Corpore Christi: The Authority of Scripture in
          > the Orthodox Church, for Lutherans
          > >
          > > You can access this file at the URL:
          > > http://groups.
          yahoo.com/group/LutheransLookingEast/files/Sola%<http://groups.
          yahoo.com/group/LutheransLookingEast/files/Sola%25>

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 17, 2007
            Hello,

            a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the LutheransLookingEast
            group.

            File : /Sola Corpore Christi.doc.doc

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 17, 2007
              They will be posted on the Ancient Faith Radio website "once they are
              produced", which was the phrase used by the man that runs AFR who was
              recording the presentations.

              Personally, I am hoping they make the texts of the presentations
              available, too, since just about everyone left stuf out of what they
              were going to say due to time - though I must say the scheduling was
              perfect leaving me never feeling as if people went on too long, we
              didn't have enough breaks, etc.

              Christopher

              --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Asburry"

                <r.asburry@...> wrote:

                > Will the audio files of these presentations be made available on
                > ancientfaithradio.com? I checked a couple of days ago, but I didn't
                find
                > anything. Maybe it was just too early, though.
                >

                > + + + + +
                > Rev. Randy Asburry
                > Hope Lutheran Church
                > St. Louis, MO
                > <mailto:r.asburry@...> mailto:r.asburry@...
                > Blog: http://rasburrysres <http://rasburrysres.blogspot.com> .blogspot.com

              • JWF
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 20, 2007
                  For those who may be interested, my presentation at the colloquium is also
                  available in written form at:

                  http://holyincarnation.org/inquirers.php

                  Select "Creeds & Confessions in Orthodoxy."

                  Fr John W Fenton

                  Priest, Holy Incarnation Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church

                  <mailto:frfenton@...> frfenton@...

                  http://HolyIncarnation.org <http://holyincarnation.org/>

                  <mailto:frfenton@...>

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 20, 2007
                    Here are the opening paragraphs to my presentation “Creeds & Confessions in
                    Orthodoxy.”

                    A Lutheran who sincerely and fairly examines Orthodoxy will find commonality
                    in more areas than not; he will be intrigued by many ceremonies and not a
                    few doctrinal nuances; he will bump up against some things that are flatly
                    contradicted in Lutheranism; he will be surprised by what he learns about
                    his own faith; he will cry out for a lexicon as he attempts to navigate his
                    way through new or similar sounding terms; and he will scratch his head in
                    bewilderment at several points. But my experience has taught me that a
                    Lutheran’s greatest frustration will be attempting to make adequate
                    comparisons. For the first instinct a Lutheran has is to look for a document
                    or a series of documents in Orthodoxy which resemble the 1580 Book of
                    Concord. Perhaps, in his investigation, a Lutheran will come across a list
                    of “Orthodox confessional documents” such as those provided by Bishop
                    Kallistos Ware in his book, The Orthodox Church. And perhaps in his search
                    the Lutheran will come across a multitude of Orthodox catechisms, which
                    differ widely in format and arrangement and which are quite unlike the
                    concise, well conceived Small Catechism of Martin Luther. And then perhaps
                    he will be cheered by the systematic manner in which Patriarch Jeremias
                    responds to the Tübingen theologians—a pattern that closely resembles the
                    outline of the Augsburg Confession. Nevertheless his frustration will remain
                    and, like not a few, he will conclude in despair that Orthodoxy has no
                    doctrinal standard, or that its doctrinal standard is similar to nailing
                    jello to a wall.

                    Let me state plainly and bluntly from the start that Orthodoxy does have a
                    doctrinal standard. That standard, which like much in Orthodoxy does not
                    measure up to post-reformational standards, is the Tradition of the Church.
                    What that means I shall describe in this presentation, as well as how it
                    relates to Orthodoxy’s understanding of creeds and confessions of faith. Let
                    it suffice, however, that the Tradition of the Church can be most easily
                    accessed in the Church’s Liturgy. In the words of Anastasios Kallis, “The
                    identity of Orthodoxy consists neither in a doctrine nor in an
                    organizational system, but in the correct praise of the Triune God, which
                    has its center in the celebration of the Eucharist, or simply in the
                    Liturgy, through which the one congregation assembled in the name of Christ
                    becomes his body, his church.”[1] According to Jaroslav Pelikan (a former
                    Lutheran), Orthodoxy’s particular view of liturgy as prayed creed indicates
                    “a principal reason for [the] ambivalent position of ‘symbolical books’
                    within…Orthodoxy.” Let us understand, however, that Orthodoxy sees the
                    liturgy as of the Spirit; and that for Orthodoxy liturgy is within the
                    matrix called Tradition. While the comparison is not precise, the frustrated
                    Lutheran might consider Tradition comparable to his Book of Concord.
                    Therefore, to compare apples to apples, he might want to examine Orthodoxy’s
                    liturgy alongside Lutheranism’s confessional documents.

                    While Orthodoxy’s liturgy may be the easiest way for a Lutheran both to
                    compare doctrinal content and to access the Church’s Tradition, one must
                    understand the overall place, use and purpose of creeds and confessions of
                    faith in Orthodoxy. That is what I will endeavor to describe and illustrate
                    in my presentation. I shall first begin by describing how confessing the
                    Faith is a doxological act and not merely a series of propositions. I shall
                    then briefly describe how the Orthodox teaching of the Church underlies the
                    confession of the Faith. And finally I will describe how creeds and
                    confessions of the faith are part of the greater matrix that is the Church’s
                    Tradition. In all this, I ask the Spirit by the prayers of Your Eminence and
                    my learned brethren to correct and guide me should I, a novice, misrepresent
                    in any way the mind of Holy Mother Church.

                    Fr John W Fenton

                    Priest, Holy Incarnation Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church

                    <mailto:frfenton@...> frfenton@...

                    http://HolyIncarnation.org <http://holyincarnation.org/>

                    <mailto:frfenton@...>

                    _____

                    [1] In Pelikan, Credo, p. 405.

                  • Lisa
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 20, 2007
                      --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "JWF" <frfenton@...> wrote:

                      > Here are the opening paragraphs to my presentation "Creeds &
                      Confessions in
                      > Orthodoxy."

                      > A Lutheran who sincerely and fairly examines Orthodoxy will find
                      commonality
                      > in more areas than not; he will be intrigued by many ceremonies and
                      not a
                      > few doctrinal nuances; he will bump up against some things that are
                      flatly
                      > contradicted in Lutheranism; he will be surprised by what he learns
                      about
                      > his own faith; he will cry out for a lexicon as he attempts to
                      navigate his
                      > way through new or similar sounding terms; and he will scratch his
                      head in
                      > bewilderment at several points.
                      [big snip]

                      Fr. John -
                      I listened to your talk during my lunchtime today. I may have to listen
                      to it again before commenting (if then) - please don't take lack of
                      comment for dis-enthusiasm. I liked what you had to say.

                      Lisa
                    • Anastasia Theodoridis
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 22, 2007
                        Dear Fr. John,

                        I listened to your presentation several days ago, but had no time to write to congratulate you on it. I loved it all, and it cleared up a thing that often seems to bother Lutherans and others.

                        It just is not all about text(s).

                      • LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 7, 2007
                          Hello,

                          a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the LutheransLookingEast
                          group.

                          File : /Eastern_Orthodox_Statues.doc
                          Uploaded by : k3n77 <jimi@...>
                          Description : On Orthodox Statues