New file uploaded to LutheransLookingEast

  • LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 16, 2007
      Hello,

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the LutheransLookingEast
      group.

      File : /Sola Corpore Christi (Final with changes).docm
      Uploaded by : christopher3rd <xcjorr@...>
      Description : Sola Corpore Christi: The Authority of Scripture in the Orthodox Church, for Lutherans

      You can access this file at the URL:

      Regards,

      christopher3rd <xcjorr@...>
    • lieffring
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 16, 2007
        Christopher, is this the paper you presented at the Colloquium in
        Detroit? A friend of mine was there and spoke very enthusiastically
        about it. He didn't have an electronic copy to send me but if this
        is it...that solves the problem...except for one thing. I can't open
        the file and I tried a number of my standard software programs.
        What's the trick?

        Thanks and good job! (So I hear...can't wait to read for myself.)----
        -R

        --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com,
        LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Hello,

        > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the
        LutheransLookingEast
        > group.
        >
        > File : /Sola Corpore Christi (Final with changes).docm
        > Uploaded by : christopher3rd <xcjorr@...>
        > Description : Sola Corpore Christi: The Authority of Scripture in
        the Orthodox Church, for Lutherans

        > You can access this file at the URL:
        20Corpore%20Christi%20%28Final%20with%20changes%29.docm

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 16, 2007
          I presented sections 6-8 of this paper at the Colloquium; this is the full
          thing. You can access an unformatted version of the paper, in the meantime,
          on my blog at:

          http://orrologion.blogspot.com/2007/09/sola-corpore-christi.html

          My office computer keeps saving documents in .docm and not .doc which is
          what I uploaded. Unfortunately, my battery died, so I will upload a Word
          2003 .doc version tomorrow to the Files.

          Glad your friend enjoyed what I had to say. I was in some pretty
          heavy-weight company being simply a somewhat well-read layman and was
          extremely impressed by the other presenters' papers.

          Christopher

          On 9/16/07, lieffring <rose.lieffring@...> wrote:

          > Christopher, is this the paper you presented at the Colloquium in
          > Detroit? A friend of mine was there and spoke very enthusiastically
          > about it. He didn't have an electronic copy to send me but if this
          > is it...that solves the problem...except for one thing. I can't open
          > the file and I tried a number of my standard software programs.
          > What's the trick?
          >
          > Thanks and good job! (So I hear...can't wait to read for myself.)----
          > -R

          > LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com<LutheransLookingEast%40yahoogroups.com>wrote:
          > >

          > > Hello,

          > > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the
          > LutheransLookingEast
          > > group.
          > >
          > > File : /Sola Corpore Christi (Final with changes).docm
          > > Uploaded by : christopher3rd <xcjorr@...>
          > > Description : Sola Corpore Christi: The Authority of Scripture in
          > the Orthodox Church, for Lutherans

          > 20Corpore%20Christi%20%28Final%20with%20changes%29.docm
          > >
          > > To learn more about file sharing for your group, please visit:
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > christopher3rd <xcjorr@...>

        • Randy Asburry
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 16, 2007
            Will the audio files of these presentations be made available on
            ancientfaithradio.com? I checked a couple of days ago, but I didn't find
            anything. Maybe it was just too early, though.

            + + + + +
            Rev. Randy Asburry
            Hope Lutheran Church
            St. Louis, MO
            <mailto:r.asburry@...> mailto:r.asburry@...
            Blog: http://rasburrysres.blogspot.com

            "...we on our part shall not omit doing anything, in so far as God and
            conscience allow, that may serve the cause of Christian unity." (Augsburg
            Confession, Preface, 13; Tappert, 26).

            _____

            On 9/16/07, lieffring <rose.lieffring@ <mailto:rose.lieffring%40gmail.com>
            gmail.com> wrote:

            > Christopher, is this the paper you presented at the Colloquium in
            > Detroit? A friend of mine was there and spoke very enthusiastically
            > about it. He didn't have an electronic copy to send me but if this
            > is it...that solves the problem...except for one thing. I can't open
            > the file and I tried a number of my standard software programs.
            > What's the trick?
            >
            > Thanks and good job! (So I hear...can't wait to read for myself.)----
            > -R
            >
            > --- In LutheransLookingEas <mailto:LutheransLookingEast%40yahoogroups.com>
            t@yahoogroups.com<LutheransLookingEast%40yahoogroups.com>,

            > LutheransLookingEas <mailto:LutheransLookingEast%40yahoogroups.com>
            t@yahoogroups.com<LutheransLookingEast%40yahoogroups.com>wrote:

            > > Hello,

            > > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the
            > LutheransLookingEast
            > > group.
            > >
            > > File : /Sola Corpore Christi (Final with changes).docm
            > > Uploaded by : christopher3rd <xcjorr@...>
            > > Description : Sola Corpore Christi: The Authority of Scripture in
            > the Orthodox Church, for Lutherans
            > >
            > > You can access this file at the URL:
            > > http://groups.
            yahoo.com/group/LutheransLookingEast/files/Sola%<http://groups.
            yahoo.com/group/LutheransLookingEast/files/Sola%25>

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 17, 2007
              Hello,

              a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the LutheransLookingEast
              group.

              File : /Sola Corpore Christi.doc.doc

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 17, 2007
                They will be posted on the Ancient Faith Radio website "once they are
                produced", which was the phrase used by the man that runs AFR who was
                recording the presentations.

                Personally, I am hoping they make the texts of the presentations
                available, too, since just about everyone left stuf out of what they
                were going to say due to time - though I must say the scheduling was
                perfect leaving me never feeling as if people went on too long, we
                didn't have enough breaks, etc.

                Christopher

                --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Asburry"

                  <r.asburry@...> wrote:

                  > Will the audio files of these presentations be made available on
                  > ancientfaithradio.com? I checked a couple of days ago, but I didn't
                  find
                  > anything. Maybe it was just too early, though.
                  >

                  > + + + + +
                  > Rev. Randy Asburry
                  > Hope Lutheran Church
                  > St. Louis, MO
                  > <mailto:r.asburry@...> mailto:r.asburry@...
                  > Blog: http://rasburrysres <http://rasburrysres.blogspot.com> .blogspot.com

                • JWF
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 20, 2007
                    For those who may be interested, my presentation at the colloquium is also
                    available in written form at:

                    http://holyincarnation.org/inquirers.php

                    Select "Creeds & Confessions in Orthodoxy."

                    Fr John W Fenton

                    Priest, Holy Incarnation Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church

                    <mailto:frfenton@...> frfenton@...

                    http://HolyIncarnation.org <http://holyincarnation.org/>

                    <mailto:frfenton@...>

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 20, 2007
                      Here are the opening paragraphs to my presentation “Creeds & Confessions in
                      Orthodoxy.”

                      A Lutheran who sincerely and fairly examines Orthodoxy will find commonality
                      in more areas than not; he will be intrigued by many ceremonies and not a
                      few doctrinal nuances; he will bump up against some things that are flatly
                      contradicted in Lutheranism; he will be surprised by what he learns about
                      his own faith; he will cry out for a lexicon as he attempts to navigate his
                      way through new or similar sounding terms; and he will scratch his head in
                      bewilderment at several points. But my experience has taught me that a
                      Lutheran’s greatest frustration will be attempting to make adequate
                      comparisons. For the first instinct a Lutheran has is to look for a document
                      or a series of documents in Orthodoxy which resemble the 1580 Book of
                      Concord. Perhaps, in his investigation, a Lutheran will come across a list
                      of “Orthodox confessional documents” such as those provided by Bishop
                      Kallistos Ware in his book, The Orthodox Church. And perhaps in his search
                      the Lutheran will come across a multitude of Orthodox catechisms, which
                      differ widely in format and arrangement and which are quite unlike the
                      concise, well conceived Small Catechism of Martin Luther. And then perhaps
                      he will be cheered by the systematic manner in which Patriarch Jeremias
                      responds to the Tübingen theologians—a pattern that closely resembles the
                      outline of the Augsburg Confession. Nevertheless his frustration will remain
                      and, like not a few, he will conclude in despair that Orthodoxy has no
                      doctrinal standard, or that its doctrinal standard is similar to nailing
                      jello to a wall.

                      Let me state plainly and bluntly from the start that Orthodoxy does have a
                      doctrinal standard. That standard, which like much in Orthodoxy does not
                      measure up to post-reformational standards, is the Tradition of the Church.
                      What that means I shall describe in this presentation, as well as how it
                      relates to Orthodoxy’s understanding of creeds and confessions of faith. Let
                      it suffice, however, that the Tradition of the Church can be most easily
                      accessed in the Church’s Liturgy. In the words of Anastasios Kallis, “The
                      identity of Orthodoxy consists neither in a doctrine nor in an
                      organizational system, but in the correct praise of the Triune God, which
                      has its center in the celebration of the Eucharist, or simply in the
                      Liturgy, through which the one congregation assembled in the name of Christ
                      becomes his body, his church.”[1] According to Jaroslav Pelikan (a former
                      Lutheran), Orthodoxy’s particular view of liturgy as prayed creed indicates
                      “a principal reason for [the] ambivalent position of ‘symbolical books’
                      within…Orthodoxy.” Let us understand, however, that Orthodoxy sees the
                      liturgy as of the Spirit; and that for Orthodoxy liturgy is within the
                      matrix called Tradition. While the comparison is not precise, the frustrated
                      Lutheran might consider Tradition comparable to his Book of Concord.
                      Therefore, to compare apples to apples, he might want to examine Orthodoxy’s
                      liturgy alongside Lutheranism’s confessional documents.

                      While Orthodoxy’s liturgy may be the easiest way for a Lutheran both to
                      compare doctrinal content and to access the Church’s Tradition, one must
                      understand the overall place, use and purpose of creeds and confessions of
                      faith in Orthodoxy. That is what I will endeavor to describe and illustrate
                      in my presentation. I shall first begin by describing how confessing the
                      Faith is a doxological act and not merely a series of propositions. I shall
                      then briefly describe how the Orthodox teaching of the Church underlies the
                      confession of the Faith. And finally I will describe how creeds and
                      confessions of the faith are part of the greater matrix that is the Church’s
                      Tradition. In all this, I ask the Spirit by the prayers of Your Eminence and
                      my learned brethren to correct and guide me should I, a novice, misrepresent
                      in any way the mind of Holy Mother Church.

                      Fr John W Fenton

                      Priest, Holy Incarnation Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church

                      <mailto:frfenton@...> frfenton@...

                      http://HolyIncarnation.org <http://holyincarnation.org/>

                      <mailto:frfenton@...>

                      _____

                      [1] In Pelikan, Credo, p. 405.

                    • Lisa
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 20, 2007
                        --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "JWF" <frfenton@...> wrote:

                        > Here are the opening paragraphs to my presentation "Creeds &
                        Confessions in
                        > Orthodoxy."

                        > A Lutheran who sincerely and fairly examines Orthodoxy will find
                        commonality
                        > in more areas than not; he will be intrigued by many ceremonies and
                        not a
                        > few doctrinal nuances; he will bump up against some things that are
                        flatly
                        > contradicted in Lutheranism; he will be surprised by what he learns
                        about
                        > his own faith; he will cry out for a lexicon as he attempts to
                        navigate his
                        > way through new or similar sounding terms; and he will scratch his
                        head in
                        > bewilderment at several points.
                        [big snip]

                        Fr. John -
                        I listened to your talk during my lunchtime today. I may have to listen
                        to it again before commenting (if then) - please don't take lack of
                        comment for dis-enthusiasm. I liked what you had to say.

                        Lisa
                      • Anastasia Theodoridis
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 22, 2007
                          Dear Fr. John,

                          I listened to your presentation several days ago, but had no time to write to congratulate you on it. I loved it all, and it cleared up a thing that often seems to bother Lutherans and others.

                          It just is not all about text(s).

                        • LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 7, 2007
                            Hello,

                            a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the LutheransLookingEast
                            group.

                            File : /Eastern_Orthodox_Statues.doc
                            Uploaded by : k3n77 <jimi@...>
                            Description : On Orthodox Statues