Icons of Fr. Seraphim [Rose]

  • Lisa
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2007
      In the photos, there was a page of 3 icons of Fr. Seraphim.
      In one he holds a closed book, in another a scroll and in the third
      an open book.
      A couple of questions:
      1) Is there a difference in iconography between using a scroll and
      using a book (I assume a Gospel book)?
      2) I've heard of differences in icons of Christ with open and closed
      books - but not of saints. What might be the significance, if any
      here?
      3) Does anyone know what the scroll read and what the book reads?

      Lisa

      --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Orr"
      <xcjorr@...> wrote:

> [...]
      Information
      > Center
      > To: ocicupdates@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > *August 25/September 7, *Return of the relics of Apostle
      Bartholomew from
      > Anastasiopolis to Lipari.
      >
      > - Photos from the 25th Anniversary of the Repose of Blessed Fr.
      > Seraphim (Rose) of

      Platina.<http://picasaweb.google.com/orthodoxinfo/StHermanMonastery25t
      hAnniversaryOfTheReposeOfBlessedFrSeraphimRoseOfPlatina>Taken