Re: ‘Orthodox lite’ services draw ritual-hungry evangelicals

  • Fr. Robert K. McMeekin
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2007
      You do realize that this was ganked from a parody website?

      Fr. Bob

      --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Orr"

      evangelicals<http://www.larknews.com/september_2007/secondary.php?page=5>

      http://orrologion.blogspot.com/2007/09/orthodox-lite-services-draw-ritual.html

      > AKRON, Ohio — When a new Antiochian Orthodox church opened up and drew
      > families from several evangelical churches, it created a minor buzz
      around
      > town.
      >
      > At the Evangelical Free church, it also created another service.
      >
      > "I've been caught off guard by other shifts in church trends," says
      EV Free
      > pastor Brian Fitzgerald, 44. "Not this time."
      >
      > In a defensive maneuver, his church soon added an Orthodox-style
      service to
      > cater to people who want more ritual and a feeling of connection to
      > historical tradition.
      >
      > "It's the same sermon, same worship songs in many cases, just done
      in a more
      > liturgical style," Fitzgerald says. "I don't mind changing the
      packaging for
      > people. It freshens it up for them and for me."
      >
      > The new "Liturgical Service," as they call it, has become the most
      popular
      > service even among young people. After the "standard" evangelical
      service at
      > 9:30 a.m., workers decorate the platform with candles, non-specific
      > iconography and other religious-looking items. Fitzgerald wears generic
      > vestments and adopts a more somber manner. He reads from a
      liturgical book
      > and the congregation responds by reading words on the screens.
      >
      > "I like the reverence and the mood," says one girl, 16. "It feels more
      > spiritual."
      >
      > "I like the candles," her friend chimes in.
      >
      > The effort seems to be working to keep church members from straying
      > elsewhere. In St. Paul, Minn., Family Life Center recently created a
      > liturgical service and says some families have opted to stay rather
      than try
      > out other churches. Jessica Onstead, 38, was dissatisfied enough
      last year
      > with the "fluffiness" of evangelical church services that she visited an
      > Orthodox service and liked parts of it. But she was uncomfortable
      with the
      > "kissing of strangers, genuflecting and standing for an hour during the
      > sermon."
      >
      > She ended up back at her non-denominational church which had by then
      added
      > an Orthodox-style service. She now attends "standard" services one
      week and
      > Orthodox-style the next, at the same church.
      >
      > "One is light and airy, and the other is dark and sacred," she says.
      "I get

      Orthodixie<http://southern-orthodoxy.blogspot.com/2007/09/evangelical-orthodox-novus-ordo.html>

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2007
        At first I didn't, but I was informed and added the disclaimer at the bottom
        so everyone would know.

        Christopher

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2007
          OTOH, I had a dream once where I went to a Reformed Jewish Synagogue.
          As I entered, there was a Christmas Tree in the lobby. I asked the
          Rabbi what this was about? Being a student of the "Church Growth
          Movement," she said that they had so many "mixed marriages" that they
          wanted to provide a welcoming environment for the non-Jewish spouse by
          putting up some common and inoffensive symbols to make them feel at
          home when they worshiped there. Thus endeth the dream.

          But why not? It makes perfect sense if you follow a methodology of
          marketing by chasing after the zeitgeist.

          It is curious that when "mainline" Protestants started employing the
          same marketing techniques as the Evangelical churches--with the same
          level of success--the Evangelicals had a crisis of faith (led by
          people like John MacArthur) which led them to ask whether it is the
          marketing or the message that's driving this whole growth thing? Good
          question.

          Priest Robert

          LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com<LutheransLookingEast%40yahoogroups.com>,