Citation from "The Orthodox Church"?

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28, 2007
      The Bible forms a part of Tradition. Sometimes Tradition is defined as the
      oral teaching of Christ, not recorded in writing by his immediate disciples'
      (Oxford Dictionary). Not only non-Orthodox but many Orthodox writers have
      adopted this way of speaking, treating Scripture and Tradition as two
      different things, two distinct sources of the Christian faith. But in
      reality there is only one source, since Scripture exists *within* Tradition.
      To separate and contrast the two is to impoverish the idea of both
      alike.[1]<http://mail.google.com/mail/?view=page&name=gp&ver=sh3fib53pgpk#_ftn1>

      ------------------------------

      [1]<http://mail.google.com/mail/?view=page&name=gp&ver=sh3fib53pgpk#_ftnref1>Ware,
      Kallistos,
      *The Orthodox Church.* "Holy Tradition: The Source of the Orthodox Faith",
      'The inner meaning of tradition'.

      Could anyone help me with an actual page number for the above quote from
      Ware's "The Orthodox Church", together with info on whatever edition you are
      quoting from? I must have lent out my copy and forgot.

      All I have is what is listed above. I found the quote online.

    • JiMiRoYaL
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2007
        Online, it is in the 6th paragraph on this page:

        http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/history_timothy_ware_2
        .htm

        jr

        --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Orr"

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 28, 2007
          Thanks. I was also hoping for a page number in a real, honest to goodness
          book version of the text. You don't have that, too, do you?

          Christopher

          On 8/28/07, JiMiRoYaL <jimi@...> wrote:

          > Online, it is in the 6th paragraph on this page:
          >
          > http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/history_timothy_ware_2
          > .htm
          >
          > jr

          > "Christopher Orr"
          > <xcjorr@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > The Bible forms a part of Tradition. Sometimes Tradition is defined
          > as the
          > > oral teaching of Christ, not recorded in writing by his immediate
          > disciples'
          > > (Oxford Dictionary). Not only non-Orthodox but many Orthodox
          > writers have
          > > adopted this way of speaking, treating Scripture and Tradition as
          > two
          > > different things, two distinct sources of the Christian faith. But
          > in
          > > reality there is only one source, since Scripture exists *within*
          > Tradition.
          > > To separate and contrast the two is to impoverish the idea of both
          > > alike.[1]<http://mail.google.com/mail/?
          > view=page&name=gp&ver=sh3fib53pgpk#_ftn1>
          > >
          > > ------------------------------
          > >
          > > [1]<http://mail.google.com/mail/?
          > view=page&name=gp&ver=sh3fib53pgpk#_ftnref1>Ware,
          > > Kallistos,
          > > *The Orthodox Church.* "Holy Tradition: The Source of the Orthodox
          > Faith",
          > > 'The inner meaning of tradition'.
          > >

          > > Could anyone help me with an actual page number for the above quote
          > from
          > > Ware's "The Orthodox Church", together with info on whatever
          > edition you are
          > > quoting from? I must have lent out my copy and forgot.
          > >
          > > All I have is what is listed above. I found the quote online.
          > >
          > > Christopher

        • JiMiRoYaL
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 28, 2007
            Sorry, but this appears either to be among my many loaned-out-and-
            not-returned titles, or otherwise misplaced. Now you've done it - I
            may actually have to break down and clean up the house.

            ;)

            JiMi