Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Re: Allegory in the Services

  • ANATASIA THEODORIDIS
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2007
      Fr. John Breck says typology is the method of looking for symbols or events or people who typify the things of Christ. Jacob's son Joseph is a type of Christ. Allegory is looking for the spiritual meaning hidden in the text, as when we read about the death of the firstborn of Egypt and interpret it to mean we must nip temptation in the bud.

      Breck, John, Scripture in Tradition: The Bible and its Interpretation in the Orthodox Church (Crestwood, New York, St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 2001)

      Is that what you're looking for?

    • ANATASIA THEODORIDIS
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 27, 2007
        P.S. The type-allegory distinction is relatively modern. Thus, while St. Paul says the story of Hagar and Ishmael and Sara and Isaac is an allegory, today we would call that a type.

        Allegory, Breck says, is used less often because of its de-historicizing tendency. (We don't necessarily wish to deny the historicity of a given event, although often we aren't terribly interested in that, either.)

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 27, 2007
          Yes, i get them mixed up in my head a little - probably because I am so
          comfortable with allegory, intellectually. Any other examples from the
          services you, or others, could point to? The only other one I have is "By
          the waters of Babylon..." which also signifies dashing the heads of the
          children (little temptations) against a rock - used in the weeks right
          before Lent.

          Christopher