Allegory in the Services

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 23, 2007
      Could anyone provide a number of examples of the allegorical use of
      Scripture in the Divine Services? This would be as distinct from the
      typological use of Scripture where the NT is foreshadowed in the OT.

      A question: would the many examples applying a NT or OT story or
      parable to 'me' personally fall under the category of allegory?

      Christopher
    • Fr. Robert K. McMeekin
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26, 2007
        The Canon of St. Andrew of Crete.

        Fr. Bob

        --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Orr"

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 27, 2007
          That is definitely a place I am looking. What I am really asking is what is
          the line between typology and allegory? Is typology when the OT foreshadows
          specifically NT persons (Christ, Theotokos) or holy things (Cross, Baptism)
          and allegory when the OT or NT refers to 'me'?

          Christopher

          On 8/26/07, Fr. Robert K. McMeekin <padrerkm@...> wrote:

          > The Canon of St. Andrew of Crete.
          >
          > Fr. Bob

          > "Christopher Orr"
          > <xcjorr@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Could anyone provide a number of examples of the allegorical use of
          > > Scripture in the Divine Services? This would be as distinct from the
          > > typological use of Scripture where the NT is foreshadowed in the OT.
          > >
          > > A question: would the many examples applying a NT or OT story or
          > > parable to 'me' personally fall under the category of allegory?
          > >
          > > Christopher

        • ANATASIA THEODORIDIS
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 27, 2007
            Fr. John Breck says typology is the method of looking for symbols or events or people who typify the things of Christ. Jacob's son Joseph is a type of Christ. Allegory is looking for the spiritual meaning hidden in the text, as when we read about the death of the firstborn of Egypt and interpret it to mean we must nip temptation in the bud.

            Breck, John, Scripture in Tradition: The Bible and its Interpretation in the Orthodox Church (Crestwood, New York, St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 2001)

            Is that what you're looking for?

          • ANATASIA THEODORIDIS
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 27, 2007
              P.S. The type-allegory distinction is relatively modern. Thus, while St. Paul says the story of Hagar and Ishmael and Sara and Isaac is an allegory, today we would call that a type.

              Allegory, Breck says, is used less often because of its de-historicizing tendency. (We don't necessarily wish to deny the historicity of a given event, although often we aren't terribly interested in that, either.)

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 27, 2007
                Yes, i get them mixed up in my head a little - probably because I am so
                comfortable with allegory, intellectually. Any other examples from the
                services you, or others, could point to? The only other one I have is "By
                the waters of Babylon..." which also signifies dashing the heads of the
                children (little temptations) against a rock - used in the weeks right
                before Lent.

                Christopher