Re: Comments?: Lutherans on the "Worship of the Saints"

  • JiMiRoYaL
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 26, 2007
      --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "ANATASIA THEODORIDIS"
      <anastasiatheo01@...> wrote:

      > It IS all about Christ! Yes, even the honoring of saints is NOT
      about them, but about Christ truly and perceptibly living in them and
      as them. They are Christ with skin on.

      Indeed, at every Saint's feast day we hymn "Save us, O Son of God, who
      are wondrous in your Saints! We sing to You alleluia!"

      JiMi
    • Randy Asburry
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 26, 2007
        ecclesiological Zwinglianism,

        Great phrase, Chris! I love it! Consider it swiped and mentally filed for
        future use! :-)

        the other thing that struck me was the lack of differentiation between
        invocation, honor, intercession and worship in Lutheran critiques of prayer
        to the saints. They all seem to be made synonyms of each other therefore
        equating worship of God with everything else done relative to saints apart
        from telling their stories.

        Indeed! I think it's also a matter of not differentiating between the
        Western (i.e. Roman) and the Eastern views of the saints, especially vis a
        vis "invoking" them. The Lutheran Confessions did respond/react to certain
        *abuses* in the Roman Church of the day, but I don't see them answering the
        views of the "Greek churches," as the Confessions refer to the Eastern
        Churches. In fact, I find it quite intriguing that quite often the Lutheran
        Confessions appeal to the "Greek churches" and even Greek/Eastern Fathers to
        support their case against the papal/Roman abuses. So, context is key.

        Worship due only to God is one thing (latreia) and honor that
        is due to His saints (doulia) is another and ne'er the twain shall meet.

        You are correct that our Western languages do not typically differentiate
        between these two things. In the Lutheran mindset, "invoke" is "invoke" in
        any way, shape, and form. It's very odd conundrum, especially since
        distinctions are often made in other areas of teaching and practice.

        + + + + +
        Rev. Randy Asburry
        Hope Lutheran Church
        St. Louis, MO
        <mailto:r.asburry@...> mailto:r.asburry@...

        "...we on our part shall not omit doing anything, in so far as God and
        conscience allow, that may serve the cause of Christian unity." (Augsburg
        Confession, Preface, 13; Tappert, 26).

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 27, 2007
          Feel free to use it. I'm giving away some of my thoughts for the
          Colloquium, but...

          I agree that the response is more in contrast to the Roman position.
          Specifically, the teaching regarding the supererogatory merits of the saints
          (BTW, certain Buddhists have a similar concept of a merit 'bank') and the
          fact that by honoring, invoking or praying to the saints the devout can
          access their excess merit and 'earn' a bit of their salvation. This
          accounting model, as has often been discussed, is either not present or not
          present in any way beyond the metaphorical in the Orthodox Church.

          I, too, have thought it odd that such 'difficult' and 'easily misunderstood'
          doctrines as sola gratia and sola fide, as well as trinitarian and
          christological dogma, can be parsed and nuanced, but that praying to the
          saints for their prayers and the fact that it arises from their union with
          God and not through their own, autonomous 'holiness' or 'power' is too
          confusing.

          Christopher

          On 7/26/07, Randy Asburry <r.asburry@...> wrote:

          > ecclesiological Zwinglianism,
          >
          > Great phrase, Chris! I love it! Consider it swiped and mentally filed for
          > future use! :-)
          >
          > the other thing that struck me was the lack of differentiation between
          > invocation, honor, intercession and worship in Lutheran critiques of
          > prayer
          > to the saints. They all seem to be made synonyms of each other therefore
          > equating worship of God with everything else done relative to saints apart
          > from telling their stories.
          >
          > Indeed! I think it's also a matter of not differentiating between the
          > Western (i.e. Roman) and the Eastern views of the saints, especially vis a
          > vis "invoking" them. The Lutheran Confessions did respond/react to certain
          > *abuses* in the Roman Church of the day, but I don't see them answering
          > the
          > views of the "Greek churches," as the Confessions refer to the Eastern
          > Churches. In fact, I find it quite intriguing that quite often the
          > Lutheran
          > Confessions appeal to the "Greek churches" and even Greek/Eastern Fathers
          > support their case against the papal/Roman abuses. So, context is key.
          >
          > Worship due only to God is one thing (latreia) and honor that
          > is due to His saints (doulia) is another and ne'er the twain shall meet.
          >
          > You are correct that our Western languages do not typically differentiate
          > between these two things. In the Lutheran mindset, "invoke" is "invoke" in
          > any way, shape, and form. It's very odd conundrum, especially since
          > distinctions are often made in other areas of teaching and practice.
          >
          > + + + + +
          > Rev. Randy Asburry
          > Hope Lutheran Church
          > St. Louis, MO
          > <mailto:r.asburry@... <r.asburry%40sbcglobal.net>> mailto:
          > r.asburry@... <r.asburry%40sbcglobal.net>
          >
          > "...we on our part shall not omit doing anything, in so far as God and
          > conscience allow, that may serve the cause of Christian unity." (Augsburg
          > Confession, Preface, 13; Tappert, 26).

        • Edward Wolfe
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
            I find the discussion of the folks on ""The Blog of Concord"
            interesting, not just because I once was Lutheran, but because all
            argumentation centers, for the most part, on quotes from Martin
            Luther, and from Martin Chemnitz and their 16th century thinking.
            Every Father and every Saint, and the practices of the Ancient Faith
            (Orthodoxy) are filtered through their eyes and thinking.

            No matter that the Church has venerated and invoked the saints over
            the centuries -- those lately come have determined that their Fathers
            are wrong!

            Of course, this in one of the reasons for my own homecoming: the
            disrespect of the "great great great .... grandchildren" for their
            Fathers. It is for the Lutherans as though there was the Apostolic
            age, then everything went south until they appeared on the scene. And
            the "sons and daughters" of Luther are worse than he!

            For them "veneration" and "invocation" equal worship, whether it is
            true or not!

            Ezekiel+
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 31, 2007
              Thank you! If I must choose between the opinion of Dr Martin Luther and Patriarch John the Golden-Tongued [inter alia], Dr Luther has already lost. Peter

              Edward Wolfe <ewolfe@...> wrote:
              No matter that the Church has venerated and invoked the saints over
              the centuries -- those lately come have determined that their Fathers
              are wrong!

              Visit Your Group
              Yahoo! News
              Get it all here
              Breaking news to
              entertainment news

              Yahoo! Groups
              Moderator Central
              An online resource
              for moderators.

              Real Food Group
              Share recipes
              and favorite meals
              w/ Real Food lovers.

              .

            • JiMiRoYaL
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
                Greetings in Christ,

                I sure think I remember you as a Lutheran pastor who used to post
                over on the Orthodox-Lutheran dialogue list. It appears that you are
                now Fr. Ezekiel - would these assumptions be correct?

                Glory to God in all things!

                JiMi

                --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Wolfe"

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
                  Today 07/20 on the Julian calendar the Holy Prophet Elijah / Elias is commemorated. Here are a few selected liturgical texts.

                  From Little Vespers: [sticheron tone 1]:

                  + With the light of the divine radiance of the three-fold Sun, with purity of mind and righteous judgment didst thou denounce the impious king as transgressor of the Law and didst shut the heavens, and didst nurture the widow and her son. Pray thou, O prophet, that our souls be saved.

                  From Great Vespers:

                  [at the Litia, sticheron, tone 4]
                  + O blessed prophet, thou wast a partaker of incorrupt union in God my Savior; parting the Jordan by prayer, thou didst cross it as dry land, and wast caught up on a fiery chariot to the heavens, leaving Elisha a double measure of grace. Wherefore we beseech thee: though thou hast been caught up in the body, yet sunder not thyself from us in spirit, and ever entreat the Lord, that our souls be saved.

                  [at the aposticha, sticheron, tone 6] Glory...
                  + O prophet, preacher of Christ, thou dost never depart from the Throne of Majesty, and ever intercedest for every one afflicted with sickness. Ministering in the highest, glorified in all places, thou dost bless the whole world. Ask thou for cleansing for our souls.

                  [troparion / apolytikion of the prophet, tone 4]
                  + The angel in the flesh, the foundation of the prophets, the second forerunner of the Coming of Christ, the glorious Elijah from on high sent down grace on Elisha to dispel infirmities and to cleanse lepers. Wherefore, he poureth forth healings upon them that honor him.
                  Glory...Now and ever...[theotokion, tone 4]
                  + The mystery hidden from before the ages and unknown even to the angels, through thee, O Theotokos, hath been revealed to those on earth: God incarnate in unconfused union, Who willingly accepted the Cross for our sake and, thereby raising up the first-formed man, hath saved our souls from death.

                  From Matins:

                  [troparion from Ode VIII, canon 1]
                  + On Tabor Christ showed thee to be an initiate of the mystery of His divine incarnation, as thou wast an instiller of purity and a most divine offshoot of virginity, showing the unapproachable light of the Godhead in His body to thee that criest out: All ye works of the Lord, hymn and supremely exalt Him for all ages.

                  [troparion from Ode IX, canon 1]
                  + The Tishbite and Moses the God-seer beheld in revelation on Tabor what eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, and what hath not entered into the hearts of earth-born men: the Lord Almighty, incarnate.

                  ------
                  Translation of Reader Isaac E Lambertsen, copyright 1983 & 1987, published at the St John of Kronstadt Press.

                • Edward Wolfe
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
                    --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "JiMiRoYaL" <jimi@...> wrote:

                    > Greetings in Christ,
                    >
                    > I sure think I remember you as a Lutheran pastor who used to post
                    > over on the Orthodox-Lutheran dialogue list. It appears that you are
                    > now Fr. Ezekiel - would these assumptions be correct?
                    >
                    > Glory to God in all things!
                    >
                    > JiMi

                    Jimi,

                    You are correct in that I was part of the Orthodox-Lutheran list, and
                    I was indeed a Lutheran pastor.

                    However, I am not a priest. What God has in store for me in this
                    regard is not clear yet! :)

                    At this point, we are active in our parish, living as fully as
                    Orthodox as we can, and I do woodworking (turning, scrollwork and
                    other things) and work fulltime at Rockler Woodworking and Hardware.

                    I'm also doing some work on home inconostases, too.

                    Ezekiel+
                  • ANATASIA THEODORIDIS
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 4, 2007
                      That last song you've supplied reminds me: with the feast of the Transfiguration approaching, it's good to ponder that upon Mt. Tabor, Jesus was revealed conversing with two dead saints.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 4, 2007
                        Well, Moses died but Elijah never did. Not yet, anyway... And, of
                        course, both are alive in Christ.

                        Good to see you again, Anastasia!

                        JiMi

                        <anastasiatheo01@...> wrote:

                        > That last song you've supplied reminds me: with the feast of the
                        Transfiguration approaching, it's good to ponder that upon Mt. Tabor,
                        Jesus was revealed conversing with two dead saints.

                        > Anastasia

                      • Randy Asburry
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 4, 2007
                          *Dead* saints? Isn't that an oxymoron? ;-) I thought they were very much
                          *alive* as Jesus was conversing with them! :-) (I'm just playing. Please
                          don't turn your infamous "hat pin" on me; save that for Pr. Weedon! :-))

                          Randy

                          + + + + +

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 5, 2007
                            You're both quite right. Not dead, and Elijah never was. And no saint is.

                            So, okay, I won't poke you with ANY of my hat pins. (I have three: one with a pear-shaped, pearl cap, one with a "ruby" and crystal cap, and my new, onyx pin. Pearl for a relatively benign, small prick. Ruby for drawing blood. Onyx for when I feel quite wicked.)

                            :-)