RE: [LutheransLookingEast] Greetings in Christ

  • JWF
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
      For those who care:

      I am various called-by my bishop, my dean and by Orthodox clergy and laity
      of various jurisdictions-as "Father Fenton" or "Father John." Perhaps its
      because I introduce myself (or am introduced) using both forms. In either
      case, it doesn't cause any consternation either way.

      Fr John W Fenton

      <mailto:jwfenton@...> jwfenton@...

      _____

      From: LutheransLookingEas <mailto:LutheransLookingEast%40yahoogroups.com>
      t@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
        My dear Pr. Asburry,

        It is so very good to hear from you again! I keep hoping that some
        day I might be your deacon, but then we can all dream some glorious
        dreams, can't we...

        In the interim, pray that may the Lord strengthen me in my daily
        struggle to become a better husband and father.

        Your servant and the least among sinners,

        JiMi

        --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Asburry"
        <r.asburry@...> wrote:

        > Hi there, JiMi!
        >

        > You asked about "Fr. John Fenton" being called "Fr. Fenton." I
        believe that
        > was my doing, and it simply comes from how I have known and
        referred to him
        > in my (& his former) Lutheran circles (.at least a version
        of "Western
        > rite," no? ;-). You are exactly right that in Orthodox circles the
        custom is
        > to say, "Fr. John." I have no idea of how proper Western Rite
        Orthodoxy
        > custom would refer to "Fr. John Fenton," and I too am happy to be
        > enlightened (and I ask for your indulgence and that of others as
        my habits
        > keep revealing themselves :-)).
        >

        > Randy
        >
        > + + + + +
        > Rev. Randy Asburry
        > Hope Lutheran Church
        > St. Louis, MO
        > <mailto:r.asburry@...> mailto:r.asburry@...
        >
        > "...we on our part shall not omit doing anything, in so far as God
        and
        > conscience allow, that may serve the cause of Christian unity."
        (Augsburg
        > Confession, Preface, 13; Tappert, 26).

      • JiMiRoYaL
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
          Father bless,

          If it matters not to you, than I shall no longer care for this non-
          issue either.

          BTW, I have on occasion referred friends to your blog, as you have
          been a source of joy to me.

          So good to hear from you,

          JiMi

          --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "JWF" <jwfenton@...>
          wrote:

          > For those who care:
          >

          > I am various called-by my bishop, my dean and by Orthodox clergy
          and laity
          > of various jurisdictions-as "Father Fenton" or "Father John."
          Perhaps its
          > because I introduce myself (or am introduced) using both forms. In
          either
          > case, it doesn't cause any consternation either way.
          >

          > Fr John W Fenton
          >
          > <mailto:jwfenton@...> jwfenton@...

        • Randy Asburry
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10, 2007
            Boy, JiMi,

            You are quite the flatterer! You keep hoping to be *my* deacon? Not only are
            you dreaming about things in the hidden counsels of God ;-), but you must
            know how unworthy I would be for that venture! :-)

            Yes, I will certainly pray for you to become a better husband and father…and
            I’ll ask you to do the same for me in return.

            Randy

            + + + + +
            Rev. Randy Asburry
            Hope Lutheran Church
            St. Louis, MO
            <mailto:r.asburry@...> mailto:r.asburry@...

            “...we on our part shall not omit doing anything, in so far as God and
            conscience allow, that may serve the cause of Christian unity." (Augsburg
            Confession, Preface, 13; Tappert, 26).

            _____

            It is so very good to hear from you again! I keep hoping that some
            day I might be your deacon, but then we can all dream some glorious
            dreams, can't we...

            In the interim, pray that may the Lord strengthen me in my daily
            struggle to become a better husband and father.

            Your servant and the least among sinners,

            JiMi

            --- In LutheransLookingEas <mailto:LutheransLookingEast%40yahoogroups.com>