re authority of Sacred Scripture

  • donpedrogordo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2007
      Browsing at the Arthur Carl Piepkorn Center for evangelical Catholicity
      brought the quote offered below into view, hope it contripbutes to the
      discussion:

      <<IMPORTANT NOTICE: There is a serious omission in "Arthur Carl
      Piepkorn, Confessor" (Lutheran Forum, Fall 2004). By haplography, on
      page 35 I omitted the words in red font in the following
      quotation: "Pres[ident Jacob A. O.] Preus himself has written, Saving
      faith does not come from or rest upon convincing evidence for the
      inerrancy of the Bible. Faith in the Gospel is not a by-product or a
      derivative from a prior view of the Bible. Lutherans believe the Bible
      because we believe the Gospel; it is not Lutheran to say we believe the
      Gospel because we believe the Bible. (Lutheran Witness, Jan. 28, 1973.
      p. 29)>>

      B.Peter Brandt-Sorheim [long time ago pastor in LC-MS, now Orthodox]]