Faith of Our Fathers Lutheran Colloquium

  • Mike Bennett
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 13, 2012
      Somebody mentioned the Subject podcasts at Ancient Faith Radio a couple of days ago.

      I've downloaded them and have now listened to the keynote address and a presentation on Sola Scriptura by, I believe, Reader Christopher Orr.

      Instead of beginning to listen to my brand new Economist issue on my drive home today, I plan to listen to the Sola Scriptura presentation again.  It was packed with very good stuff very well focused for a Lutheran such as I.  He made a few points that were particularly strong ones to me, and I want to re-listen and to see what equally good points I might have missed.  The ones that stand out from memory after one cursory listen are:

      + The Church as the literal Body of Christ (works for this Lutheran, who believes "is" means "is" in the words of institution and so I suppose it means "is" when we're told the Church is the Body of Christ).  This has implications for who has had authority from the start to establish the details of Church faith and practice, and on what authority/Whose authority that comes.

      +  The observation that, in the Book of Concord, the reformers repeatedly appeal to the authority of early Church fathers to support their Lutheran views.  Reader Christopher (if I'm recalling correctly) observes that if these fathers can be relied on to interprest and illuminate such topics as the Holy Trinity and the Incarnation, we can probably rely on them for little things like Church practice.

      Thanks for pointing out this resource.  I've found Ancient Faith Radio to be the best of its kind as an i-Phone app (its kind being specialized radio or quasi-radio broadcasts and podcasts) for support of a religious tradition.

      I also appreciated the disclosure that the speaker's wife is not Orthodox.  This has been a sticking point for me.  My convert-brother's wife did not swim the Bosphorous with him, and if I swim it chances are slim to none that my wife will.  This grieves me.  And I do understand the part about having one Lord, and that if following Him creates strife in a family then so be it.  But it is still very hard to contemplate.

      Mike Bennett
      Lutheran for 20 years and inquirer into Orthodoxy for at least half that long.
    • Benjamin Harju
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 14, 2012
        Christopher's advice is spot-on, as usual.

        In reading about your liturgical experience in Lutheranism, all I can say
        is that I had the same sort of experience. I think the search for meaning
        and authenticity in liturgical worship is what draws a lot of us to
        Orthodoxy. While anger and frustration and maybe even exhaustion from the
        squabbling, distrust, and lack of security in Lutheranism can drive us to
        expecting "perfection" in another place, the search for truly catholic and
        orthodox worship is not itself a running away, but a running towards the
        Truth we are thirsting after.

        But if new age worship is such a problem, and the catholic and orthodox
        worship of the Orthodox Church is such a wonderful thing, then (in order to
        avoid personal delusion) it's important to put Christopher's advice into
        practice. The worship in the public liturgy must be carried into the
        home. Introduce a simple but regular routine, and stay with it.

        In Orthodoxy the Liturgy IS the Faith. It's okay to run to that, if it is
        THAT which you are trying to get, but which Lutheranism is incapable of
        giving you. Just keep in mind that we human beings are not so simple:
        while running toward the right things we often bring unrealistic
        expectations at the same time. Take your time. Don't rush. Face each
        thing one at a time, the good and the bad. Christ is faithful; He will
        lead you into all truth. Chase down Christ. Prayer is how to do it.