Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Introduction

  • Wayne Whitmer
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 11, 2012
      I'm going to start a CLOSED group on Face Book called "Lutherans looking
      East" for anyone who may be interested in joining. Yes I'm being selfish
      in one sense as I am looking East and need a CLOSED forum to do so but I
      will allow members to add Members that they may be interacting with who are
      considering the same. If the individuals you add are NOT Lutheran but
      Protestant of course that is fine also as "Sola Fide" and "Sola Scriptura"
      are pretty common to all Christian faiths outside of Orthodoxy and
      Catholicism.

      PAX,

      Wayne Whitmer

    • Benjamin Harju
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 14, 2012
        Christopher's advice is spot-on, as usual.

        In reading about your liturgical experience in Lutheranism, all I can say
        is that I had the same sort of experience. I think the search for meaning
        and authenticity in liturgical worship is what draws a lot of us to
        Orthodoxy. While anger and frustration and maybe even exhaustion from the
        squabbling, distrust, and lack of security in Lutheranism can drive us to
        expecting "perfection" in another place, the search for truly catholic and
        orthodox worship is not itself a running away, but a running towards the
        Truth we are thirsting after.

        But if new age worship is such a problem, and the catholic and orthodox
        worship of the Orthodox Church is such a wonderful thing, then (in order to
        avoid personal delusion) it's important to put Christopher's advice into
        practice. The worship in the public liturgy must be carried into the
        home. Introduce a simple but regular routine, and stay with it.

        In Orthodoxy the Liturgy IS the Faith. It's okay to run to that, if it is
        THAT which you are trying to get, but which Lutheranism is incapable of
        giving you. Just keep in mind that we human beings are not so simple:
        while running toward the right things we often bring unrealistic
        expectations at the same time. Take your time. Don't rush. Face each
        thing one at a time, the good and the bad. Christ is faithful; He will
        lead you into all truth. Chase down Christ. Prayer is how to do it.