Re: Introduction

  • jsbaglien
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 10, 2012
      Greetings, Maria, and also to Fr. John -- Christ is in our midst!

      I am a cradle Lutheran (native to the upper Midwest), Orthodox for about 20 years and a priest for the last ten.

      My journey to Orthodoxy took about four years (I'm a slow learner . . . :) ). I would be glad to try to help with any questions you might have, on- or off-list.

      with love in Christ,

      Fr. James Baglien
      St. Martin the Merciful Orthodox Church
      Corvallis, Oregon

      --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, Fr John W Fenton <frfenton@...> wrote:

      > Maria,
      >
      > I too am a former Lutheran. I was a Lutheran pastor for 16 years. I've been an Orthodox priest for 5 years.
      >
      > This is a good place to have all kinds of questions addressed.
      >
      > Asking your prayers,
      >

      > Fr John W Fenton

      > >gleaning
      > >but
      > >> the
      > >> Lutheran
      > >> study/seeking I
      > >of
      > >reasons.

      > >family
      > >process,
      > >have an

    • Benjamin Harju
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 14, 2012
        Christopher's advice is spot-on, as usual.

        In reading about your liturgical experience in Lutheranism, all I can say
        is that I had the same sort of experience. I think the search for meaning
        and authenticity in liturgical worship is what draws a lot of us to
        Orthodoxy. While anger and frustration and maybe even exhaustion from the
        squabbling, distrust, and lack of security in Lutheranism can drive us to
        expecting "perfection" in another place, the search for truly catholic and
        orthodox worship is not itself a running away, but a running towards the
        Truth we are thirsting after.

        But if new age worship is such a problem, and the catholic and orthodox
        worship of the Orthodox Church is such a wonderful thing, then (in order to
        avoid personal delusion) it's important to put Christopher's advice into
        practice. The worship in the public liturgy must be carried into the
        home. Introduce a simple but regular routine, and stay with it.

        In Orthodoxy the Liturgy IS the Faith. It's okay to run to that, if it is
        THAT which you are trying to get, but which Lutheranism is incapable of
        giving you. Just keep in mind that we human beings are not so simple:
        while running toward the right things we often bring unrealistic
        expectations at the same time. Take your time. Don't rush. Face each
        thing one at a time, the good and the bad. Christ is faithful; He will
        lead you into all truth. Chase down Christ. Prayer is how to do it.