Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Introduction

    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 10, 2012
      The list is at base a passive resource for those who want to ask questions
      about Orthodoxy, it isn't a list meant to actively attack Lutheran belief.
      People haven't been asking questions, so the list hasn't been active. We
      will all be happy to address any issues, questions, concerns, etc. you
      might have about Orthodoxy. I was raised WELS, my wife and most of my
      father's family are Roman Catholic, myself and my two boys are Orthodox.

      The best resource is always a local parish, priest and community. Theory
      is one thing, practice another. For instance, it's easy to assume the
      veneration of saints and icons is 'worship', but community worship puts
      both practices in context (i.e., everything in Orthodoxy surrounding icons
      and the saints is even more about God, the Trinity, Christ, etc. so by
      contrast icons and saints are clearly something other than divine.)

      Christopher

      On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 5:30 PM, matt reader <mattyreader@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I am former lcms, Eo for about 17 years. My parish alone has about 7 of
      > that background. This is certainly the place to ask questions, discuss
      > differences, etc. Fr John Peck, former Lutheran, has a really good site,
      > http://journeytoorthodoxy.com/ which has testimonials and other material
      > of interest.
      > Matt
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Benjamin Harju
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 14, 2012
        Christopher's advice is spot-on, as usual.

        In reading about your liturgical experience in Lutheranism, all I can say
        is that I had the same sort of experience. I think the search for meaning
        and authenticity in liturgical worship is what draws a lot of us to
        Orthodoxy. While anger and frustration and maybe even exhaustion from the
        squabbling, distrust, and lack of security in Lutheranism can drive us to
        expecting "perfection" in another place, the search for truly catholic and
        orthodox worship is not itself a running away, but a running towards the
        Truth we are thirsting after.

        But if new age worship is such a problem, and the catholic and orthodox
        worship of the Orthodox Church is such a wonderful thing, then (in order to
        avoid personal delusion) it's important to put Christopher's advice into
        practice. The worship in the public liturgy must be carried into the
        home. Introduce a simple but regular routine, and stay with it.

        In Orthodoxy the Liturgy IS the Faith. It's okay to run to that, if it is
        THAT which you are trying to get, but which Lutheranism is incapable of
        giving you. Just keep in mind that we human beings are not so simple:
        while running toward the right things we often bring unrealistic
        expectations at the same time. Take your time. Don't rush. Face each
        thing one at a time, the good and the bad. Christ is faithful; He will
        lead you into all truth. Chase down Christ. Prayer is how to do it.